Minor/Repaint: Titans Return Galvatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by grindcore138, Sep 27, 2016.

1. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Yes indeed, it's another TR Galvatron mod/touch-up!
    So Galvatron's flip-up mask looked all fine and dandy when he was first revealed, but sometime between then and going to manufacture they went with a different design that doesn't sit flush against his face and completely obscures it from any angle other than straight-on.
    Then one day on the Twitters I saw the following mod and decided that whenever I got my own Galvatron I had to have a go at it myself.

Now, I made a crucial mistake on my first attempt and was left with an unsalvageable headless body, I'm sure someone more talented than I could've probably saved it, but I decided it was a lost cause and bought a replacement.
    Luckily I didn't screw up Round 2, so here it is!

After taking apart the torso and waist I took some measurements to make sure the hole I drilled for the new pin that goes all the way through the torso lined up with where the neck sits normally, and clipped away the material from the front half to allow the whole Titan Master port and head to swing in and out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Because the grey piece slots into place you need to remove just enough plastic from the back half of the torso to allow it to swing into place freely without also falling back into the torso. I also clipped/filed down a bit of the back of the TM port for the same reason (you can see it in some of the pictures below).
    [​IMG]
    An almost-there shot with the painted-but-maskless head. I had to to cut those two angled pieces of plastic out for the head to flip in and out with the mask attached.
    [​IMG]

And here we have the finished product. To stop the TM port/neck/I'm-really-not-sure-what-to-call-it-at-this-point from sliding side to side when inside the chest I cut up the stem from a cotton bud to act as spacers (they sit a bit wonky because their inner-diameter is wider than the actual pin but whatevz, they do the job and you never see them anyway).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another thing that was very crucial to my fixing Galvatron was Fakebusker's canon adapter that puts it on the side of his arm because oh my god, it looks so much better. I actively hate how the canon looks plugged into the 5mm port on the front of his bicep, never mind that it completely limits articulation, so to find out someone had actually addressed that was a relief as I didn't fancy my odds drilling a hole in his arm as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also decided to give Nucleon a bit of paint. Obviously he can't sit in the cockpit or any of the weapons anymore, but it don't matter because I don't even have to take him off for transformation anyway.
    [​IMG]

I used Citadel paints for everything just because it's what I used when I collected Warhammer when I was a kid. Colours used were Xereus Purple, Abadon Black, Leadbelcher (gunmetal), Ironbreaker (silver), and Wild Rider Red, and 'Ardcoat as a seal or whatever you call it. Ah, what silly names they have.

So, yeah, there's my Galvatron. Enjoy, I guess?
    IMG_2564.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Oooh, I like the silver treads. Never even crossed my mind to paint them before now.

3. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Looks like we had similar ideas

Trying to figure out how to prevent sliding myself

4. Chronix

Chronix Meme Machine

One thing I've seen a few people do that might work is after cutting off the flat purple bit in front of the neck, glue it onto the neck piece like how it was before, only no longer connected to the torso. Should help the head stay in place overall. I plan on trying it myself soon so I'll let you know if it works.

5. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Dude, this is so awesome!

Why did you need a new pin/ holes?

• Like Like x 1
  6. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Great tip! :) 

I just realized the pin doesn't connect to the side walls.
    Any tips on finding a good size replacement pin?

7. grindcore138

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I was just using whatever was to hand in my garage so the pin I used is actually a conveniently sized nail, 1.5mm x 40mm if I remember rightly, though it only really needs to be long enough to go through the inner walls of the torso (~30mm). It's a bit thinner than the pins HasTak use so a 2mm thick one might be a better choice.
    I'm sure some of our more experienced customisers might have a better suggestion for what to use though.

8. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice and neat, I really must summon the courage to do these mods.

What kind of glue us safe to use? I had experience of glue dissolving plastics.

9. justdd

justdd Well-Known Member

Just bumping to say thank you so much for this post. I was able to follow it basically to the letter to great results. Thanks!

Didn't seem right to make my own thread when Grindcore did all the hard work.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. grindcore138

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Very nice! Glad I could help :)