Titans Return Galvatron Mask Mod: A Few Words Of Advice!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jul 6, 2016.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    I posted this in he Galvatron feedback thread but it deserves it's own thread so the word gets out.

Note for reference: I did the mask mod on TR Galvatron where I killed the spring loaded mask gimmick and glued the mask to he headmaster. It looks much, much better and allows the head to move left and right.

I want to point out a few things so that my fellow boardmembers don't make the same mistakes that I did. I completed the mask mod. I also painted the face silver with sharpie. It looks pretty good. But there were a couple of things that went wrong and I'll point them out below. Here's the finished product:

[​IMG]

here's what you'll need to perform this mod:

1) Sharpie brand metallic silver permanent marker-- For painting the headmaster face. Cut the tip on an angle using an Exacto knife so that it works like a paintbrush and also so you can get into those small hard to reach places. You'll need to add a few coats so that it looks smooth in appearance.

2) Small Phillips head screwdriver - - to take apart the torso and to push out the pin in the headmaster assembly.

4) Pliers (preferably needle nose)-- for pulling the pin out once you've pushed it out on one end.

5) A small piece of sandpaper or a nail file-- for sanding down he rough plastic in areas that were cut and trimmed.

6) Small wire cutters--AKA diagonal pliers.--For cutting the mask away from the headmaster assembly and for cutting the chinstrap off of the mask.

7) Exacto knife--For minor trimming and shaving of small areas.

8) Superglue that comes with a brush applicator - - The brush allows for much more precise and smooth applications of Superglue. This is for gluing the mask onto the headmaster and for gluing the two grey pieces of the headmaster assembly and for gluing the pin in place in the headmaster assembly)

Now I tried cutting the mask off of the body without disassembling the torso and removing the headmaster port assembly. You're going to want to disassemble the torso (two screws in the back of the waist/crotch and two in the backs of the shoulders) and remove the headmaster assembly. Not only will the whole thing be much easier to work with, but you won't leave stress marks on the area circled in the image below. (the Grey headmaster assembly swivels left and right and caused the purple area to stress):

[​IMG]

Once you remove the headmaster port assembly and cut the mask off at the chin piece, remove the pin circled below:

[​IMG]

Why are you removing the pin do you ask? To remove the rest of the plastic from the mask assembly. Otherwise, you'll end up with an eyesore of a rough looking piece of plastic right front and center on the chest (orange circled area) where the mask used to be attached:

[​IMG]

The headmaster port assembly is two grey pieces of plastic. The blue circled area is where the headmaster plugs into and the red circled area holds the whole thing in the neck:

[​IMG]

When you pull the pin, the two pieces above will separate. You're going to want to glue them together and then glue the pin back into place. Otherwise, when you go to plug the headmaster in, the port will swivel down and you'll never be able to plug the headmaster in.

In addition, you're going to want to use a small set of wire cutters (also known as diagonal pliers) to cut the mask away from the headmaster assembly and also to cut the chinstrap off of the mask itself because if you use an exacto knife you can cause stress marks on the circled area in the pic below because of the torque needed to use an exacto knife to do the cutting bends the sides of the mask where they meet the crown:

[​IMG]

The stress marks above will disappear (for the most part) using the hair dryer technique. But, I still don't like the fact that they're there.

I think my Galvatron looks pretty good. But, I think I'm going to get another Galvatron and do the mod again. I'm a perfectionist and I will don't like the two stress marks that I caused on the figure.

I'm treating the figure above as a trial run. Not sure if I'll keep it or not.

2. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Here's TR Galvatron next to CW Cyclonus. I know I want these two iconic characters side by side on my shelf. I'm thinking about springing for the Takara Legends version of Galvatron because this is just way too much dark purple right next to each other. They look way too much alike. The camera flash makes the shades of purple look slightly different. But, in normal room lighting, they look pretty much the same. What do you think?:

[​IMG]

3. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    Great job! This is much appreciated improved although I'm not going to try it myself. I look forward to you trying to improve on this.

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Thinking of getting Grand Galvatron myself. Its way more expensive than getting LG Galvatron, but Cyclonus had the lighter color in the show.

5. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

Superb instructions dude, I don't think I want to heavily mod mine before I get another, so I'm thinking of constructing a helmet out of styrene that sits over the Titan master, once done I'll pop some pics up

6. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for this !

7. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Good idea while rewarding not everyone who will try this have experience at it.

8. grindcore138

grindcore138 TIME TO DELIVER A PIZZA BALL!

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting this, man. When I get Galvatron I'm planning on doing the mod that takes this even further and lets the whole Headmaster port assembly swing into the chest cavity with the head still attached. I've been hoping someone would post something like this so I've got a better idea of what I'll be working with.

9. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

I think I'll wait for a custom helmet on shapeways rather than do any permanent modifications. That does look loads better though.

10. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great mod. Thanks for posting.

11. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I'm kinda wondering how he'd look with Galvatronus's head.

12. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    A big high-five to GrimlockAutobot !

Thanks for taking the time to post this, sir!!!

13. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I believe there's something discussion about this in the TR Galvatron feedback thread.

The consensus seems to be that the Galvatronus head is way too big for the TR Galvatron body.

14. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Saaayyyy....that's not a terrible idea!

All we'd need I a Titanmaster to sacrifice his head and balljoint neck to use as a peg..

15. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    To everyone thanking me for this thread--

You're very welcome. I'm happy that I can *hopefully* make this as smooth and easy a process as possible for those looking to do this mod.

I do have to point out that I wasn't the first one to do this mod. It seems like it originated from Twitter user @b_croco who posted pictures of their finished product which also includes the ability to fold the entire headmaster assembly including the headmaster itself into Galvatron's chest and a mod to the arm to side mount Galvatron's cannon. albeit without any instructions on how to perform the mods. The additional head folding apparently involves drilling holes in the inside of the torso and inserting a longer pin for the assembly to pivot on. The arm mod involves cutting off the arm fin and drilling holes in the side of the arm for the cannon to peg into.

I wasn't sure whether I was even going to do the mod on the mask. But, after seeing how God-awful Galvatron looks in his stock configuration with the mask just kind of resting up against the face and the head having very limited ability to turn left and right, I knew I had to do it.

I will also add that I'm not a master customizer by any means. Not even close. If I can do this mod, trust me when I say that anyone can.

I'll add this to the original post too but here's what you'll need to perform this mod:

1) Sharpie brand metallic silver permanent marker-- For painting the headmaster face. Cut the tip on an angle using an Exacto knife so that it works like a paintbrush and also so you can get into those small hard to reach places. You'll need to add a few coats so that it looks smooth in appearance.

2) Small Phillips head screwdriver - - to take apart the torso and to push out the pin in the headmaster assembly.

4) Pliers (preferably needle nose)-- for pulling the pin out once you've pushed it out on one end.

5) A small piece of sandpaper or a nail file-- for sanding down he rough plastic in areas that were cut and trimmed.

6) Small wire cutters--AKA diagonal pliers.--For cutting the mask away from the headmaster assembly and for cutting the chinstrap off of the mask.

7) Exacto knife--For minor trimming and shaving of small areas.

8) Superglue that comes with a brush applicator - - The brush allows for much more precise and smooth applications of Superglue. This is for gluing the mask onto the headmaster and for gluing the two grey pieces of the headmaster assembly and for gluing the pin in place in the headmaster assembly)

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Wooohooo! He looks good!

17. seali_me

Have you tried the two deluxe classics versions of cyclonus?

18. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I don't own those anymore (I sold them a while back when I got out of collecting for awhile).

But thanks for mentioning it. I might have to try the BiS or CaC version of Cyclonus.

19. seali_me

There's also this new light purple spray paint at WM. Spotted it last week.

20. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

The mod looks great, I think I'm going to wait to see if a third party makes a new head though.

I have the Takara version of preorder. I'm glad I do now due to the same purples for Hasbro Galvatron and Cyclonus, however on the show they were king of the same light powder purple anyways?