Titans Return Fastlane

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by kmopotato, Apr 5, 2017.

1. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing this review I officially have ZERO interest in this guy. No attachment to the characters or G1 toys. No weapons and just overall very boring looking. Congrats to those of you excited for this but an easy pass for me. The only thing going for this set now is if I never find sixshot and the set goes on clearance like the cw sets did

2. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Separating him from Cloudraker does remove the entire point of his appeal: identical robots with different vehicle/beast modes.

Was a big fan of the Decepticon Clones, Chinese imported into the UK in the mid 90s, but never got the Autobot ones. I'm really looking forward to all four.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm sure Takara will release 2 packs of the clones- with more paint weapons and maybe even some retooling.

In the mean time I'll make my own. I ain't playing these box set games.

4. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

It also wouldn't have exposed front wheels. Now instead of being passable for a futuristic vehicle, it looks like a lame go-kart.

5. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah... why did they do that?
    If they had put the wheels inside the legs that would, IMO, help them reuse parts without retooling.

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Looking like a lame go-kart is pretty much G1 accurate. Fastlane always had one of the most blatant "this is a folded up robot vaguely in the shape of a vehicle" this side of the Pretenders, in my opinion.

7. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is an element of "Pretender, without the shell" to the clones.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, but mainly because both the G1 clones and many Pretender inner 'bots use the formula of "generic-looking robot changes to a robot folded up with a few bits bolted on to imply a vehicle or animal or whatever".

9. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I gave mine 1 of the larger guns that came with all the early iron factor sets, the sci fi shot gun looking 1, it works quite well and cos it has a 5mm hole on the top you can flip it over, plug it into the peg for the spoiler then plug the spoiler into its regular handle and boom weapon work/stores in alt mode to.

10. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree..It would seem like they would have to do them in pairs. Mabye 2 of these on a deluxe card ?

11. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. Fastlane looks pretty underwhelming, which is weird for me to say since I like the original Autobot clones. Maybe/hopefully Cloudraker will look better?

12. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Please excuse me while I go buy 50 of that Pepsiman figure.

Oh yeah, Fastlane looks neat too.

13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh my god. Hilarious.

14. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Chaos on Velocitron Fastclash

The Clones weren't toys I was aware of when I was younger. They were like many Transformers absent from the UK range. So the probable first point I became aware of the was in late 1989, by which time I was at sixth form college, when the Transformers Universe Profile for Cloudraker appeared in Transformers #57, which also introduced me to Slugfest & Overkill another pair of UK absentees. Fastlane's Profile followed in Transformers #69, an issues that stands out in my memory because neither of my local comic shops got a copy, followed by Pounce's Profile in Transformers #78, a comic I can remember getting on an early University comic shop trip. That left just Wingspan, mentioned in Pounce's profile, without a Universe entry.

I didn't encounter the toys for another couple of years until a friend managed to obtain some Grey Imports of the Chinese Transformers and got me, amongst others, Pounce & Wingspan. I loved the concept: two identical robots turn into different vehicles. Alas we were unable to get Fastlane & Cloudraker who to this day I have never owned. I love the robot designs too, almost textbook Hasbro Transformers, with the Autobots in particular looking like Pretender without the shells in both modes with Cloudraker almost being a dead ringer for the similarly named Cloudburst.

Rumours of Titans Return Clone toys spread during 2016 and both Fastlane and Pounce were revealed at Toyfair 2017 as part of the Chaos on Velocitron (Speed) and Siege on Cybertron (Strength) boxsets respectively with Cloudraker and Wingspan expected to follow in boxsets for Intelligence and Fireblast, the other two areas measured on Titans Return tech spec cards. I'll be honest: I don't think splitting the Clone pairs up is a terribly good idea. Part of their appeal is getting two identical robots together and not knowing which turns into what. Needing to buy not one but two $100 boxsets to complete the pair of Clones is also very annoying, especially when, at the present moment in tie, the contents of the boxes carrying the second clone in each pair have yet to be confirmed!

As it is Fastclash, whose name is changed for presumably trademark reasons, is the only toy which really fits the theme of a Speed/Velocitron boxset. Velocitron was introduced during the Cybertron toyline as a planet featuring Transformers involved in an endless series of races on different tracks, so associating that planet with a speed theme in a series of boxsets which link a section of the tech spec with a known Transformers planet is a good idea. The problem comes from the toys chosen for the boxset. Rodimus.... well Hot Rod has always been associated with being fast but he's just a Titanmaster. Quickswitch has presumably made it in for the speed of transformation implied by the name which is implied by the name, but just isn't there in reality. Neither of his ground vehicles feels particularly fast and neither does Laser Prime's tanker truck. Nautica is either a sub or a spaceship, albeit one based on a car, and doesn't feel that fast especially on ground. That just leaves Fastclash who comes in his traditional form of something resembling a racing car/dragster. You could see this competing in one of the Velocitron races!

The vehicle mode looks very, very similar to the original Fastlane, the only obvious compromise is now having his front wheels mounted on the sides of his legs which to my eye only improves the design. A second change helps him fit in with the rest of the toys in the Titans Return toyline. The middle section of the vehicle rear, what is the centre of the robot's chest, now can be lifted up via a hinge at the rear to form a seat for a Titanmaster to sit in so the bodyless Rodimus does actually have a ride! By comparison Fastclash is a little longer than the average Legends car when I measured him against Brawn and Bumblebee. There's some fun to be had with the car mode courtesy of the 5mm peg the spoiler at the rear is mounted on. Removing the spoiler allows you to mount various Arms Microns Minions on it. It's a solid post so it will need to be a Minicon with a 5mm hole and not one of those with the earlier Armada style socket. And because the post is 5mm the hole car can effectively be held as a gun by larger Transformers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transformation: Fold the front bumper up to form the feet. Separate the front of the vehicle to form the legs. Fold the wheels at the rear down under the vehicle, which brings the tops of the rear down to form the arms. Fold out the hands. Rotate the spoiler so it points down and the connected head reveals it's face.

The robot mode looks almost exactly like the original Fastlane, but at Legends size. The only real thing that's missing here are the guns which the original had, which is a bit of a shame. There's even a sticker on the chest mimicking the second rub sign the Clones had showing their vehicle mode. I suppose it looks a bit like a car.... I haven't got any real attachment to these, the Chinese Clones all had a foil faction sticker instead of a second rubsign as you can see on Pounce & Wingspan's galleries at Transformers at the Moon and the same is true of the Autobot Clones as you can see at Fred's Variants Chinese Transformers Page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've long said that what Transformers fans really want from their updated toys is the original but with more articulation and Fastclash certainly succeeds on that score: whereas the original had just rotating shoulders & neck, the new one has a rotating neck, ball jointed shoulders & elbows, the later of which negates the need for a bicep joint, ball jointed hips, thigh swivels, bending knees and ankles that bend as part of the transformation.

Criticisms: not sure about the painted white faces, which seems to have been done to match their appearance in Rebirth. The other bit of painting that annoys me is the hands. That'll wear round the peg holes with use. Why not just mould them in the slightly softer off white plastic used for the legs?

Fastclash is also the only all new toy in the box, the closest any others comes is Rodimus, and even he shares his head, arms and legs with Ptero. But I suspect he won't be unique for long because Fastclash is also interesting for those of us that like to guess what a mould will be reused for. Siege of Cybertron Pounce already seem to use a very similar chest and waist. Then there's some very interesting and unused joints in the waist that enable the groin to split in two and each leg fold out to the sides. I'm guessing that they will be used for Fastlane. Turning the toy over we see unused holes on the back of the waist, mounting points for Cloudraker's wings perhaps, and a pair of holes opposite each other in the sides of the wide indent running along his spine which look like where Cloudraker's jet nose might mount.

A lack of weapons and the paint on hands & face aside, this is a decent update to Fastlane. I look forward to seeing his brother and their opposition soon.

15. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Christ, the "this figure is too expensive to fit into the Legends class" is such bullroar. The figure is crazy simplistic and no bigger than the Legends figures on the shelves.

16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Well I wouldn't want to pay a hundred bucks for him

17. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Now I know why this figure looks familiar...
    [​IMG]

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Nobody does. They barely had any characterisation to begin with. Just treat him as you would a completely new guy.

As for repaint choices; pretty much any character who had an F-1 alternate mode will do. Just explain it as being their Cybertronian alternate mode. Some characters like Mirage would need their iconic head while generic heads like Dragstrip could still use Fastclash's head.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  19. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

hmmmmm, Construct-Bot smoke stacks work pretty well I suppose?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1