Customs: Titans Return Brave Max... Intimidated

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by That Guy, May 16, 2017.

1. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey everyone, so I've done some small repaint customs here and there: Twincast out of TR Blaster, adding blue to Getaway and getting him a spoiler, touching up all my Hasbro titanmasters with extra details. I'm working on some larger voyager stuff but I was planning at some point to do a TR Brave Max if Takara never released one in legends to go with UW ruination. Today I grabbed a $75 Fort Max on impulse, and convinced myself I'm going to take this as a small summer project. Now that I look at him on the table I don't even know where to start. All I've done up until now has been with gundam markers, or a small brush and Testor's paint.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to tackle something drastic like this. As I'm typing I'm thinking... gotta disassemble first, maybe I can do it limb by limb and paint as I go? How do I sand to help paint stick without messing up the plastic, do I need to start at a really high grit because everything seems to scratch when I try?

2. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Without going nuts on describing paint details, I'll say masking tape and spray paint will be your friends here. I use spray paints and tape almost more than airbrushing.
    Krylon has a great paint that fuses with plastics, and if allowed to cure for the recommended time (or longer), are crazy durable.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These are all my opinions and practices so your results may vary. I paint almost entirely with acrylic paints, with a brush, and my work is really amateur compared to most of the other customizers out there. But I think you may benefit from my approach. This is a big project, that requires planning and endurance.

Disassemble:
    I don't disassemble, aside from easy stuff like balljoints and heads. Why? So I can test rub points along the way, and repair/sand/re-paint as I go. Nothing worse than disassembling, painting, re-assembling only to chip up parts on the first transformation. Also, paint will add to the parts, and they may not fit together

Paint:
    I like acrylic model paint from testors, games workshop, tamiya and P3. They are water soluble, dry fast and forgiving. Very easy to remove if you make a mistake or just don't like the paint. Enamels and lacquers are definitely stronger, but require additional chemicals, tools and expertise to apply correctly. Spraypaint is a fine option, as Yaujta mentioned, but follow instructions, and test it/practice first on a junker to make sure you're doing it right. I'd suggest a flat finish paint. On something this big, gloss paint will make it look small unless you do it perfectly.

Sandpaper:
    Fine grit is fine. 220-400 range. You don't need to course it up, just enough to wear down parts. Plastic is very soft, even a paper towel can be abrasive enough.