Titans Return Alpha Trion

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by alteisen99, Aug 17, 2016.

1. alteisen99

alteisen99 Active Member

1st time posting something substantial. Wave 2 is out in our country so I'll post a quick write up.

Robot-Mode:

It's a pretty stocky looking Alpha Trion. More Orc than wizard in my opinion. The colors are nice and punchy, which complements the clear orange bits and the painted silver. Nothing hollow is visible. The hollow thighs are hidden partially by the loin cloth.

DSC_0147.JPG

The head itself is rather angry looking. As all Titans return voyager has some spring loaded gimmick (not sure as this is my 1st Titans Return figure), Alpha Trion gets some head extensions which makes him look like transmetal 2 megs in silhouette. Also, I've seen samples where the paint for the eyes ended up giving him a visor.

DSC_0151.JPG

Articulation is pretty decent. It lacks a waist joint, and the ankle lacks side to side tilts, but its wide enough to actually not matter very much. Swinging the legs to the front can be scary as mine was pretty tight. It comes with a sword (shown) and a gun that resembles a claw.

DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0152.JPG

Altmodes:

Transformation is pretty straight-forward and is super simple. I like how everything has a peg that connects solidly in all modes.

It transforms into a decent looking battle ship. The sword can only store on the right side, as the left one has a peg that prevents the sword from sitting flush. The gun mentioned earlier can peg on top of the ship.

DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0140.JPG

The headmaster can sit in the orange cockpit, or stand on the deck (which has 4 tiny pegs).

DSC_0141.JPG

As all voyagers so far are triple changes, he also transforms into a lion. A unicorn lion. He's pretty much best left static at this point as posing him will make him look awkward. It's also pretty interesting how the robot hands are the actual lower jaw of the lion. Kinda-wish it's eyes were painted though.

DSC_0144.JPG

The Headmaster is Sovereign, which looks a bit optimus prime--ish (I dont know if it's referencing something). It's also devoid of any paint details.
    DSC_0146.JPG

Overall, It's pretty good if you're ok with a chunky squat-looking Alpha Trion. It has decent heft, and is pretty poseable.

*adding pics of the side and with the head ornaments down. He reminds me of undertaker for some reason without the side details.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice write-up!

I have yet to see a picture of this figure that makes it look worth the price. Nothing here is appealing in the slightest.
    Oh well.

3. Slingshot

Slingshot Farewell

News Credits:
    Awesome review! I'm looking forward to Alpha Tripn the most from the upcoming Voyager wave. The Lion mode is interesting, and the Space Ship alt. mode is decent, but I find the robot mode very appealing.

4. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review! I just can't seem to like this mold. I like the concept as I have wanted the old Botcon concept Alpha Trion from Beast Machines Snarl since it was revealed. The mashup of the 2 modes just doesn't work for me. If he had been a lion OR a cruiser I think I would have liked it more.

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Royal Purple

News Credits:
    The titanmaster's design is based off of the Minicon Safegaurd, that came with Cybertron/Galaxy Force Vector Prime.

This looks to be the best voyager in the line thus far, I'm super excited to finally have an Alpha Trion in my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks! Nice review.

Not exactly the A3 figure I wanted, but since I have little choice, I will be getting him. The worst thing about him, besides A3 just not having anything to do with being a beast, is that super broad waist above his loin cloth. Just looks odd. Since the beast claws and arm are wrapped around the sides of his torso, I wonder if there is an alternate way to transform him?

7. Snoopy Magnus

Snoopy Magnus THE FLYING MONKEY!

nice write up!

request please, it looks like the "ears" on the robot mode can fold down, can you do a picture of it with the ears down and do a side by side? the head look to bulky like that. but then again, it might look fine in person and it just may not photograph well.
    thanks a lot!!!

8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great review. Wacky figure that I have no desire for.

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Finally an alpha Trion toy. But it just doesn't appeal to me :( 

10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'll get a remold if they do away with the weak-ass lion-mode.

The lion is sufficiently chunky that I can definitely see a Broadside repaint. I really do like its spaceship mode. However the lion mode suffers from every single common flaw of a beast mode, and the robot mode just doesn't impress in any way.

I do LOVE that sword, though. If I saw this on steep clearance I'd buy it for the sword and head master.

11. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can thank Botcon and the decade of associating Alpha Trion with Beast Wars and their failed attempts at a Alpha Trion toy most recently the one that got relabeled and repurposed as Cheetor.

12. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    I think this takes the cake for most mis matched altmodes to character.

I really want to see who this figure is ment to be cause I dont think its Alpha

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I hope not lio convoy. I want thatfigure, but I think using that mold it would still suck. I'd be fine with a western release of the deluxe Legends version.

14. GoLion

GoLion Returning to lurker.

News Credits:
    Interesting figure. I'm nog entirely sure I want the toy, but if I see it in retail I'll pick it up.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    What alt mode wouldn't be mis-matched?

To me this is like Alpha Trion before he's so old he can't do shit worth a damn.

16. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this one looks sweet as hell.

17. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Royal Purple

News Credits:
    Me too. He's got that kickass battlemage look to him.

18. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the way the robot curves are replaced by lots straight lines on the ship mode.

19. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    this looks cool as shit. it's got its flaws but i wouldn't mind this one if it can be modded to not be a headmaster.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Prime/Meg/Bee/SS completist

News Credits:
    I wonder what kind of repaints we'll get from that mold. Lio Convoy/Leo Prime? Leobreaker/Ligerjack?