Titaniums: the new Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Liege Prime, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know a lot of people on TF forums love alternators for their great representations of classic characters with complex transformations and accurate alt modes. The line trickled into stores slowly and weren't the easiest to find, and they seemed very collecter oriented. At the time they started coming out, I was in college and penny pinching, but I got one here and there. Now, we have the 6" Titaniums, and I have to say that they feel like the new collector line, only to me, better.

That may sound like sacrilege to Alternator fans, but hear me out. In comparison, they are both slow to release, aimed more at collectors, some are hard to find (at least around here), have no cartoon to back them up, and generally look better for display then for play. Now, if you were to make a Titanium Jazz, I don't think it could really compete with an alternator Jazz having less articulation, being smaller, and having a less realistic alt mode. On the other hand, the Titaniums don't have the limitations that the Alts did. I love how we are getting toys of characters we have only seen in comics, or forms only seen in comics. I like how they can have alt modes other then automobiles, and I like that we are getting some of the older character that look like their old selves but updated with better articulation and in general nicer proportions, IMO. And, I'm no longer in college and can afford to get the ones I want!

I guess what I am saying overall is that I am loving the Titaniums, and I am looking forward to the rest of the line. They seem to get better with every release. I just wanted to know what other people were thinking of the line in general and maybe where they want to see it go. Personally, I like the way it's going: they are getting better with the construction and choosing a lot of great characters from the Transformers universe. Oh, and I would really like to see an Ironhide for the 'bots and a Shockwave for the 'cons.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I have yet to see a Titanium figure in person.

I should toy hunt more, I suppose.

3. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I have seen up to Op Ops and Scourge in stores, but never Rodimus or Soundwave, which I had to order online because I was tired of hunting. I am going to be a little more cautious and preorder them, even though I really like "the hunt". Either way, Target seems to not carry them anymore, at least the 6"s, so that leave TRU and Walmart and they just seem terrible about stocking TF's lately.

4. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

Titaniums: the new Alternators!!??

I CAST THEE OUT, STAN!

Um..Satan. Sorry.

5. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When Titaniums become the source of endless complaining and overreaction, only then will they have taken the place of Alternators.

6. Shockwing

Shockwing Perfectly cromulent. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    :lolol 
    That couldn't be more true.

7. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I agree. They are collector oriented, and have spotty distribution. Certain ones are in very high demand and yet Wave 1 still warms near me.

I don't agree that they are improving with each release, however. I'd say they maintain a standard of mediocrity far below the average mainline release (Soundwave should have been canned in prototype), with the occasional bright spot like Thundercracker.

8. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

The only part I agree with is some of them are hard to find and they are directed at collectors. Others are sitting on shelves worse than alternators. Alternators though are better, $4 more and you get a scale model of a car that transforms into a cool robot, very realistic/lifelike if TFs actually existing in the world. Titaniums on the other hand are small, boxy, and usually loose. I have titanium soundwave and he can barely stand by himself. His alt mode isn't that great and his robot mode is pretty bad, just barely stands. And I'm a huge soundwave fan, but sorry titaniums are not even on the same level as alternators. Alternators are better.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have one Titanium. I have a LOT more Alternators. It's not just because of distribution issues either.
    Alts are scale replicas of real cars, with superb transformation that turn them into truly kickass, complex looking ropots with craploads of articulation and detail.
    Titaniums are, at best, 6" tall figures with often basic detail and play value; and the 3" ones are terrible. The only Titaniums I like are Jetfire (which I have) and Cheetor. By contrast, I have yet to see an Alt design I've disliked (although I'm not planning on getting the repaints of any of them).
    They're difficult to find and aimed at collectors, but there any similarity ends for me. I'd rather have Alts any day.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Draven pretty much said what I was thinking, I as well only have 1 Titanium, where I have 20 something Alternators plus doubles.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think the Titaniums have been as rare as some Alts. I've seen all of them through the Scourge wave multiple times, and none of them seem to shelfwarm like some Alts did (Silverstreak, anyone?). They're also not as fun, and in some cases, downright fugly. I'm an Alt completionist, but have already left 3 Titanium figures on the shelf. Maybe I'd get 'em on clearance, but they're just not that good.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Well, articulation is not always superb on Alternators, most of them suffer in the leg poseability department. The rest is true though.

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I suspect Hasbro love them - they add an extra 20 Cents worth of diecast, a 'stand' that doesn't really help the toy stand in anyway, and then rack the price up $5.00

The best things to come out of the line so far (imo) are the WW Seekers and Cheetor. Roddy and the Fallen are worthy of a nod too.

The rest have varied from mediocre to lackluster to insulting (GIJoe Megatron)

14. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am a big fan of the Titanium not so much the alternators I do have some alternators but I have all the Titaniums.

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have loved the titanium line so far. WW Optimus, Jetfire and Thundercracker are all great toys. The joints could be a little better on Prime, but I have none of the horror stories some reported. Scourge is by far the worst one I have and its just simply because its boring. If it had a better transformation, plastic hands and a gun it would have been great, but it definately deserves the "meh"s it has received.

In terms of designs the Titaniums don't compare to Alts, but as someone said earlier in the thread the fact they're not restricted to realistic alt modes is a plus because of the variety of classic characters that can be updated. G1 Ultra Magnus and Rodimus, WW Megatron and the Fallen and Cheetor are all on my to get list because they are all either pretty good updates or great 1st renditions of the character. Not saying that all the Titaniums are great, but alts has its crappier toys too (the viper twins and the later bots like Rumble and Prowl).

16. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not trying to say that they are better then alts, I am trying to say I like the variety and idea better. With the alts, you aren't going to see a Fallen, at least that actually turns into a tank, unless they somehow licensed an abrams or something.

17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Nah, not even close. There aren't 10 new threads a day about the 6 inch titaniums and they PALE in compasison to the quality and complexity of the alternators even WITH their flaky metal.

I myself have three 6 inch titaniums and 1 three. I have all the alternators plus doubles of about half, minus unreleased ravage and rumble and a complete set of BT/BTAs.

18. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    Unfortunately, due to the quality of Titaniums (developing loose joints very quick) - I've kept all of mine MISB on display, whereas all my Alts have been opened & transformed numerous times with none of the joints loosening.

Despite the fact that we might get more characters in the Titanium line - quality and durability is huge for me, and is something the 6 inch Titanium line lacks quite a bit. I'm still collecting them, however they're going to remain sealed just because I don't want the joints to die.

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    There is a bit of that already. A lot of people are under the delusion that the entire line is as poor quality as the TF/GI Joe Megatron from wave 1. Heck, just look at Megatronwp38's comment about flaky metal. Metal flaking is a problem that plagued the first wave, but has been largely absent in subsequent figures.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Indeed.

Titaniums have grown on me, but I still don't like them as much as Alternators...which I really don't like all that much anymore either. Bring on more Classics for me, the uhhh I guess kiddie-fied collector's line.