Titanium Series - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by doomboy536, May 1, 2009.

1. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about the Titanium Series. I myself have two, Ultra Magnus and the Fallen, and my opinions on the two of them could not be more different.

Ultra Magnus is probably the worst TF I own. In altmode not all of his wheels touch the ground without bending the cab forward, and thus exposing part of head. Like his G1 toy, his arms form the top deck of the car transporter, except they don't connect to anything save each other and never stay still. This however is made moot by the fact you can't lower the ramps on his legs.

In robot mode his arms fall off all the freaking time, the paint job on his face is shoddy and the missile launchers only clip onto his arms upside down. It's such a damned shame because I love the G1 toy and I was looking forward to a rethought version of him, but it seems that City Commander is the way forward and there's no damned way I'll ever be able to afford that.

The Fallen on the other hand...WOW. I've never read the comics about him, but after 'extensive' research I know a little more about him. Okay, so his altmode looks a little clumsy, but in robot mode he looks kickass. Good range of motion in the elbows and shoulders, as well as the legs, fully rotatable at the hips and most importantly, a bad-ass flame paint scheme.

Is this characteristic of the series, that one figure is the height of awesome and another is a bag of poo? Are there any others worth looking at? Am I making sense?

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Most of them suck, a few of them are good.

That's basically my stance on the line.

3. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

I enjoy the titanium seeker mold, although im a sucker for seekers. I really wish the war with in would get a proper line of toys made for it .

4. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Crap line for the most part. Only kept the Primes and Megatrons. Despite their flaws, my favorites are the still the first 2 (WW Prime and GI Joe Megatron).

5. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Great idea, poor execution. I love die-cast, but these things mostly just couldn't support their own weight.

6. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    It had potential but failed miserably to follow through (on the large size). The small ones were nice because they were realistic looking for in scale set ups with larger toys like the various city bots.

I don't miss them because they were all overpriced.

7. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i dont have any of the 6inch line....however I have a compelte 3" line and those rock LOL

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    ^ the 3 inch titaniums are all metal. And though they don't transform can look good in some shelveing units. I want to eventually pick up the alternator smokescreen one.

6 inch titaniums:

War within prime is my least favorite. It looks cool. But the arms seem to fall off to often.

I would suggest you check it out 6 inchers if your into die cast similar to to g1.
    or simply the high levels of sculpted detail. Its good to enjoy the extra heft and cold metal.

War within megatron and the fallen win for detail. Where as rodimus, RID optimus prime, and skywarp use the best molds for play value.

Soundwave is the one that opinions get shuffled around a lot. I really like it because it strikes me as a even more retro modern soundwave. Some have even dubbed it war within soundwave because the design is so different compared to g1 from the waist down.

It does go all over the place with scourge: he has limited articulation, easy transformation, and a tiny bit of die cast but he has a good sculpt overall.

Grimlock has more playable robot mode and prowl has a sleek and fun vehicle mode.
    That alternate of those modes are slightly off.

9. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Ditto! I gave the line a go by buying 2-3. Very disappointed. Ended up selling them off on ebay.

10. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have the Rodimus but only because I never got a G1 Rodimus. He is the only one that is OK IMO. They just fall apart too easily.

11. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rodimus wasn't bad, but most of them were metal plated turds.

12. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    The only one I ever bothered to pick up was G1 Scourge. He's a great display piece but lacks in poseability and play value.

The rest of the line just doesn't look right, and seem to be plagued with bad design and QC issues.

13. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have both Primes (WW and RID). I love both of them despite the flaws. WW Prime has the typical floppy joints and front cab misalignment like mentioned but the RID one is very sweet!, my only gripe was how the legs are hollow.

14. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

They're only good if u leave em misb because the toys are terrible.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is untrue. Most are only half metal if that. Usually only the Torso or legs are metal, the rest is rubbery plastic. They look cool, but are priced too high.

I owned all of the 6 inch figures except Scourge (I could never find one). I sold them all except Jetfire, The Fallen, Grimlock and RID Prime. IMO those 4 are the best of the line. GiJoe Megatron is the absolute worst.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The line got a little better as it went on, but still the 6" ers are some of the worst TFs ever released

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I bought the War Within Prime which was the first and last Titanium I bought, just a floppy mess. Most of the other Titanium's are pretty much the same or not much better in my opinion. The only good thing that ever came out of that line was the G1 Ultra Magnus as I bought it for $20 Canadian and traded it to a guy on Junkion for a MISB Alternator SDCC Rodimus. Other then that one deal the line has been a waist of space for me.

18. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Of the few I own:
    WWI Prime- Loose, but a nice design
    Jetfire- loose but not that bad; the alt mode is great
    Grimlock- best of the crowd along with...
    Optimal Optimus- great play value
    GIJoe Megs- suckage- loose, breaks easily
    Soundwave- not bad if you ignore the diaper; little bit loose
    WWI Starscream- cool model and playable

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loooooove the 3-inchers. They're my non-transforming tiny-bots of choice, much more than the Robot Heroes line. I wish it would've continued. I do agree they could've been priced cheaper, though if you look for some online now you can find them dirt cheap. I have all of the Movie and Alternators 3-inchers (and I don't even buy the normal Alternators/Binaltech figures!) and every G1 figure except Galvatron and the Ark (which is by choice).

As for the 6-inchers...as most everyone has stated here, a nice idea that really failed badly. I just picked up G1 Magnus, Rodimus Prime and Soundwave, only because they're the G1 versions in the line, though I'd scoffed at picking them up before. I actually like Magnus the best of the three but yes, he has a lot of problems and for me Rodimus isn't much better. Soundwave makes me really sad because of the silly leg issue that spoils the figure. This half of the line I'm glad was canceled and would rather see store or convention exclusive repaints show up of the 3-inchers rather than the 6-inchers. I'd definetly buy a Cliffjumper or Skywarp or Sunstorm, or even a G1 Nemesis Prime or Ultra Magnus (if Prime was repainted for both). That's just me though, since I'm a dork and a bit biased toward the little guys.

20. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    well, it is better than at least half of the other 6" Titaniums, so maybe you haven't seen the worst yet.