Titanium line in trouble?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dragonclaw, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Hopefully someone from Target can chime in on this one...I picked up Jetfire and Thundercracker today...had to go to 2 different Targets to get them :)  Both reciepts say NCF in the item description, which from my own Target days means "Non Carry Forward" AKA....DISCONTINUED! So is Target dumping the line? Or after their pricing snafu with the 6" going so cheap could they just be changing the DPCI?

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

We have seen that the next wave has a tweaked box design. Could that be all it is? Different enough to warrant a different part number/DPCI?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This happened before when Alternators changed box styles from the red boxes to the bubble packaging. It is probably no more than that. Hasbro wouldn't be rolling out so many new designs if the line was in jeopardy.

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Funny that someone brought up a thread like this.

Just yesterday, one of the guys at an independent toy shop I sometimes go to tried telling me that the 6" titanium line was being discontinued. Before letting him know that I think he's wrong considering how many new ones are still scheduled to come out, I asked him where he heard this. He said the Hasbro supplier that they go through told him. I then responded by saying maybe HIS supplier thinks that's the case because they may be getting the shaft on future products, but it surely doesn't apply to the larger chain stores like Zellers, TRU, etc.

I hope I don't end up eating my words and finding out later that the titaniums are indeed being discontinued. At least, not until AFTER we get all the new ones we've either already seens pics of or heard about as coming soon.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blast! I really hope this line isn't being dropped, especially when the next few releases are "gems". I think the problematic ones were the 3 inches. Example, Unicron etc. Those are barely moving even in my country!

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't say for sure, but I really doubt it. We've seen more unreleased figures than ones that have already been put out! It's probably for the packaging change as was mentioned, though as best I can remember the change is really minor. But who knows.

7. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I would be surprised if the line was discontinued. Even though WWI Prime and Megatron are warming the shelves in a lot of places, a lot of fans haven't even gotten the chance to pick up the 2nd wave yet (I've never seen them in stores). Remember how many Alt. Smokescreens there were on the shelves in the year following the release of Alts? ...and they turned out to be a pretty successful line. I think there's a lot of potential in this line and I would like to see it continue, though, I think the prices on the 6 inchers should be dropped a couple $$.

8. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

They would at the start. It's a new product line which will get a few waves to prove it's worth. It's exactly the same as Built To Rule. BTR was a dismal failure, but still made a few waves before it was killed off.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the line was on the way out. It's got a narrow base that it doesn't appeal to all that much, poor playability and execution, rubbish sculpting, no focus as a line and has no doubt featured massive amounts of returned defective product with the first wave.

Can't say I feel this is a bad thing.

Phazer

9. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

You would think they wouldnt drop it now, so close to x-mas and some of these are just hitting retail..

10. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

You're forgetting; Titaniums involve Die Cast construction, comparing them to BTR is like comparing Apples to Oranges to use a tired cliche. I sincerly doubt that Hasbro would axe the line after showing off and most likely paying to create all of the molds seen at the previous two Botcons. And in the case of shelf warming; I suspect as we draw closer to the holidays shoppers will go crazy over everything and anything to give as many presents to their spoiled children as possible, which is sad to say the norm in most cases these days. I foresee a lot of older stock being moved during the Christmas Rush possibly even afterwards on Boxing Day thus eliminating this odd fear that the Titaniums will die out... Honestly some fans are being far too critical of a line that is a side-line at best, they expect these sculpts to be the best thing since the days of G1. Not that I'm signalling you out Phazer in this case; it just strikes me that a lot of people seem to think the 3'' in most cases and some of the 6'' are pure and utter tripe, while I on the other hand adore this product line and would hope to see it fruition if only to get a few more Show accurate examples of certain Decepticons.

Titaniums in the long run are well worth the money in my opinion; I believe Hasbro might have overestimated the demand for the larger figures, after all they seem to have mass produced them in larger quantities then a fan oriented side-line should warrant, but then again we don't know how the kids are reacting to this. An abundance of overstock does not necessarly mean that the kids don't like it; and there are undoubtly some niches like the statue collectors who are finding this line remarkable. I feel Hasbro may have tried too hard to get Prime and Megatron out on time; hence some of the major quality issues involved with those molds, I also think that judging these figures by their sculpt work more especially in the case of the 3'' who have limited size to work with is a tad on the frivolous side in certain respects. I mean seriously; at the price they go for and the fact that these are packaged predominantly in robot mode rather then the vehicles of the SW and BSG Titaniums we should expect that there would be some limitations placed on them, I'm not saying the wierd proportions in some instances and odd poses should be praised completely, but they should at least be tolerated for what the designers have been trying to do.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as I can tell... it's due more to the packaging change than anything else. Target does that a lot when the packages change with the figures. So do a lot of big chain retail stores. And to be frank... just because a store's Hasbro rep says something doesn't mean that it's even remotely true. These guys are probably the closest thing to incompetent that I've ever seen.

Example of this would be when my Target's rep was in the store for one of the big change overs (something was happening with the Star Wars stuff.. I think it had something to do with Ep. III, but don't quote me) and me and him got to talking about the TF Alternators. They were still in the red packaging at this time and I was complaining about how I was having a hard time hunting down Prowl. He told me that I'd had better find one quick because the line was going to be "discontinued" and there would be no more Alts. I kind of gave him a quizzical look and mentioned the new packaging that we'd seen online already (we'd seen it by the time I was having this conversation with him) and asked if that's what he meant. He swore to me that there would be no more Alts after Prowl and that he didn't know anything about new packaging and Skids, Sunstreaker, Rollbar and Ricochet. Which we all know eventually came out. So, don't trust the reps, because they only seem to have enough miniscule information about things.

As we know, Alts have been going strong since the package change over and the funny thing is... the fans had heard rumors both times the line changed packaging. When it went from blue to red it had the same thing. And when it changed from red to white... same thing. Basically, all that's going on is that the 6" Tits are going through a package change. We've already seen this with the product shots of Optimal Optimus and Scourge. No need to worry guys.

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Weren't you the guy who kept questioning any rumors regarding the Binaltech line being in trouble? And now you're so eager to jump on the "Titaniums in trouble? OF COURSE! HASBRO WILL CANCEL THEM!" bandwagon?

13. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

We never even got wave 1 around here. :( 

14. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

He *LIKES* Binaltech, and he *HATES* Tits. That's the deal.

15. The Phazer

Err... not really, certainly as far as Hasbro senior management is concerned. They're both sublines using existing licenced/first party properties trying to grow new market segments from boys toys, being produced by seperate teams from those doing projects for those franchises normally.

And they'll be treated in exactly the same way - they've got half a dozen waves to grow an audience (bear in mind the fifth wave will have been finished before the first hit the shelves), and at that point Hasbro will expect it to be generating money. If it doesn't, it'll be killed.

Meh, there's all of what? Two and a half waves not already shipping. Retailers will likely axe the line before Hasbro do, in much the same way as is possibly happening here. Same as some of Universe that was already made trickled out after Wal-Mart dropped it, or Built To Rule - there the Energon molds were made and not distributed outside of a single state test market because they weren't selling.

By that logic nothing would ever be cancelled. But shelf warming isn't a good indicator if a line is dying, it depends on how many stores are ordering. If they ordered tons and only the half a dozen on the shelf aren't selling, then it's fine. If they ordered tons and they've got tons left in storage, then the line is doing badly. If they didn't order that many, then that's all Hasbro really cares about anyway, and they'll can the line.

I expect them not to be radically poorer than anything we've seen since BW wave 1, which they are.

I have no qualms standing up and saying I do think the line is tripe. Certainly, I think the notion of having something so poorly done as a "fan orientated" line is nothing short of madness.

Hasbro have already said the line is "short run" orientated at Botcon (which is no doubt why it's not got much leeway to fail). It's a line that has all the cost to produce of the main line (if not more - shipping heavy diecast is expensive, and diecast parts require seperate molds from the plastic sections, increasing the cost to make these things compared to average molds), and gives lower returns. If the things are being overproduced on that basis, then to reduce the production even more means the line becomes extremely uneconomical.

To a certain extent (which is the only reason it exists) Hasbro is willing to put up with that to try and grow a new market segment. But not too much.

That's correct, but I severely doubt there are statute collectors (a tiny niche) who find this line "remarkable". As statues there have been better TF statues that didn't sell well enough to justify their existance either.

And the Prime/Megatron molds have really hurt these lines. Retailers hate, hate, HATE lines with QC problems that mean a lot of returned product. I think we can all agree that happened with wave 1 of Titanium. If they're already barely giving the line a chance, that's precisely what will push them into not ordering any more of these damned things.

No, I'm sorry. There are plenty of companies out there putting out superior quality product for comprable prices.

Phazer

16. The Phazer

I was also the guy who said BTR was dying in the water (and was right) and Universe was dead (and was right).

And, as much as I might hate the form, Binaltech does still exist.

It's also worth noting that Alts were picked up by the international subsiduries, which add a lot of sales. Takara were sharing mold development costs. It appealed to non TF markets such as car collectors. And frankly, generally speaking, it was good product.

Meanwhile Titaniums don't seem to be seeing any release in Europe, Takara seems uninterested in them, and the stuff that's been put out is tat with lots of Q/C problems. Given any logic puts Titanium as a line that probably doesn't have a lot of patience for failure in Hasbro anyway, it's very different - and, as I said, much more comparable to Built To Rule for Hasbro structually as it's not being made by the TF division.

Phazer

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Is there any actual evidence of Titanium not doing well or is everybody being an amatuer market analyst today?

I know, I'll be one too! Titaniums seem to be doing pretty well in Australia. Except for tank Megs.

I hardly think Europe not getting a release of Titanium is something you can use to accurately gauge this issue upon, since you guys don't get anything anyway and the Hasbro UK division appear to be liars, or Action Man Cultists.

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Well, I have only seen wave two maybe twice and both times they had messed up paint so I didn't buy. For $15 at the size of a deluxe I'd expect better paint apps then a deluxe. I mean I got wave one in the summer, in late July, they are taking their time getting these guys out. I am waiting for the G1 guys, like scourge, UM, Rodimus and possibly the WW megatron to go with Prime.

It would not surprise me if the line dies, it's junk. The 3 inchers all look like crap, oh and like they are TAKING one at that. Their detail is horrible, and not to mention I prefer the Acts from takara and the HOCs from hasbro. They look much better IMO. I WANTED to like this line, I really did. When we 1st heard of it and that it had die-cast, I wanted to, I just can't find a figure that doesn't already have issues stll MISB at the store, so I don't like it.

Oh and about Binaltech, to me it is dead, KISS does not equal Binaltech TO ME. Others may think otherwise and that is OK.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No it doesnt. Kiss Play doesnt have any die-cast, or the cool booklets that made Binaltech different from Alternators. What japan has now is exactly the same as alternators, but with the price jacked up $40 and jailbait girls included.

20. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Preach on :D  I agree, but didn't want to bring on the wrath of the flamers LOL