Titanium and Classics Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Larkin Vain, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

I was just thinking today how I wished there was no Titanium line (the 6" one at least) and how I wish the time and effort was incorporated into the Classics line. Before you all shoot me let me explain.

In the Titanium line we have lots of fan favorite toys that we all love to see. We have Warwithin Starscream and Thundercracker, Warwithin Priime and upcoming Megatron and Ultra Magnus... even the Fallen. We also have G1 Scourge, Optimal Optimus, etc.

While I love the idea that they are doing these characters the over all outcome is not as desirable. It seems that the use of die cast metal in these molds are causing design, transformation, and robot/alt modes to suffer.

Imagine if these toys were incorporated in to the Classics line. Sure they would all be made out of plastic, but here are the positives that I see.

1. Price point - Mose of these toys would probably be around the $10 - $15 range depending on size because of the lack of die cast metal.

2. Design - Die cast metal is heavy, which causes a lot of problems with the Titanium line toys having very loose joints or falling apart easily. We see this a lot with War Within Prime and especially G2 Megatron. War Within Jetfire also has its issues.

I'm pretty sure the toys would sell if they were in plastic and incorporated into the classics line. I'm sure that we'd see better designs come out as die cast won't be a medium the toy must focus on in order to be "titanium"

If any of you have thoughts on this, please post.

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You forget that the Titanium line was not designed as toys. They are display pieces that transform. Sure, they have their flaws, but as display pieces, they're pretty slick.

3. Lord Madhammer

Lord Madhammer Just a simple man

News Credits:
    I actually prefer the Titaniums because they don't seem as "kiddie". I like the display bases and the die-cast content b/c they add weight to the figures, both literally and visually.

Personally I'm not crazy about the Classics, even though I've bought every one I've found so far. I think I'm done with them, though. I think it's a lot cooler to get BW/BM/RiD/WW figures than to get more G1 rehashes.

BTW that Titanium Megatron isn't G2 Megs, it's GI Joe vs. TF Megs...

4. MrBigFeathas

MrBigFeathas My rocket pack?!?

I agree. I for one don't have any interest in the Titaniums, but I love the Classics.

5. Larkin Vain

Sure they make great display pieces (well Megatron really doesn't), but even so I would not say they weren't designed as toys as they are supposed to transform back and forth which they should without any issue from basic transformation. The 3" line is totally understandable as a display piece, but the 6" line suffers from having to be diecast in terms of robot mode (mode they are meant to be displayed in) also. G2 Megatron cannot be posed at all on the display stand without falling over, Soundwave looks terrible in robot mode.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Titaniums are my favorite line out right now. You get a variety of characters, from different series, all in one line. There are mini-statues, and big, TFing ones. That's sweet in my book.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I personally love the War Within Titaniums (yes, even loosey goosey Prime) and appreciate that Hasbro even chose to release figures from that series in the first place. You are right, they definitely suffer a bit because of the diecast, but if this is the only way I'm going to get WW figures, I'll take it. Though I do wish there was a little more attention to detail, such as the Seeker's heads being grey when they should be black. I would be the first to champion the idea of making more articulated & larger plastic versions, but I just can't see it happening unfortunately.

I'm still undecided about the G1 Titaniums since Soundwave royally sucks, as does Scourge. But my hope is that since they released Scourge & Rodimus Prime and are about to release Ultra Magnus, that we see a couple of other TF:TM characters to make the overall set look complete. Give me Cyclonus & Kup/Blurr/Springer and I'll be happy enough with them.

On the topic of Classics, I don't think what's being with the Titanium lines is really taking anything away from them. I do worry, however, that they may be less willing to release characters like Scourge or Cyclonus as Classics if they do them as Titaniums. Then again, I see most of the Classics as being a nice hybrid of the G1 and Stormbringer designs - old familiar characters with updated molds that still look like who they represent - so it's not too unrealistic to expect that Hasbro isn't concerned about multiple versions of the same characters done in different lines.

The biggest thing I hope for in both lines is that they finish the themes they've started. They gave us Rodimus & Ultra Magnus as Classics, so we should see characters like Cyclonus, Scourge, Kup, etc. as well. They gave us Grimlock, so we should see the remaining 4 Dinobots as well. They gave us Thundercracker & Starscream as WW Titaniums, so we better see Skywarp as well. So on and so forth. But since Hasbro is pretty notorious for not following through on things they start (hello Autobot Alternators), we could still be in for a world of disappointment. But currently, trying to remain optimistic, both of these lines are two of my favorites since G1. They, along with Alts, are basically what got me back into collecting TF's after a 20 year hiatus. Fingers crossed they don't let me/us down :) 

8. Larkin Vain

Don't get me wrong though, I do love the Titaniums, I have all of them that are available in my area. It's just I think there are so much that suffers because of the diecast in them. One thing I like about the old TF toys was that the diecast was in the right areas, areas of the toys that could handle the weight or stress.

9. Larkin Vain

Oh I do hope they finish what they started with Classics and Titanium. What I mean in my original post is that it would be nice if these were incorporated into the classics line since it would be the only line that would make sense for it if there are no diecast metal in the toys. Even the BW, RID, and War Within line could fit as classics per se. I love that we get those characters I just wish the execution was better in both modes and the only thing I see prohibiting better execution is the die cast metal.

I would kill for Titanium Cyclonus... but if it suffers from diaper pants, or falling apart like the megtron then I'd be sorely disappointed.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The Titaniums are made by the Galoob team, not the Transformer team. Therefore you cant take the time spent on them away, because it's spread across multiple teams. Now, if the TF Team made both lines, you might have a point.

However, I like the Titaniums. I agree with Lord Madhammer, I like the fact that Titaniums arent "kiddy." This is not to say that I prefer them to Classics. Classics are a LOT of fun to play with, and they definitely look cool. But Titaniums look even cooler, they're more detailed and have richer looking paint.

I would enjoy it if Hasbro made the Classics as detailed as they did the Titaniums, because then you'd have the play value AND the looks. But since they didnt, I'm happy they make the Titaniums, because I gotta get the looks somewhere.

edit - ok, I admit I didnt read your whole post. I stopped to respond to that one point. Yes, I agree, I'd like to see the amount of detail from the Tits put into the Classics. And I'd also like to see Tits without die-cast, cos a lot of the Tit designs would be better if they werent as heavy (ESPECIALLY Megatron). But, since Hasbro isnt doing it that way, I wont complain about what we ARE getting

11. Lord Madhammer

News Credits:
    I would also love love love to see Titanium Cyclonus... and Galvatron, who could be done pretty easily IMO. But to me, Titanium Scourge and Rodimus Prime fit in perfectly well with the Classics anyway. Soundwave..... eh the less said the better, perhaps Cybertron Soundwave would be a better "Classics" version.

For the record I do also believe that these are really meant to be display pieces with a "bonus" of being transforming figures. I think anyone who treats them like normal plastic toys is going to be disappointed.

oh and Titanium Megs sucks completely, I threw him in the garbage :(  thank goodness for the sweet-looking upcoming WW version

12. Larkin Vain

I know they are made by two different teams. When I wrote time and effort, I meant hasbro has a whole when deciding on making this line.

I personally see them as nice display pieces, but I would at least like them to hold their own when they do transform. I guess what opened my eyes was when I showed a friend my War Within prime from my display shelf one day. I told him that it actually transformed and so he wanted to see it. As I transformed it the arm fell off (now this is carefully transforming) and he jokingly told me are you sure it's supposed to transform.

I know these aren't meant for "play" but they should at least not fall apart. I mean. The only titanium toys that I have right now that are sturdy in robot and vehicle mode is thundercracker, scourge and optimal optimus (I don't have any past this wave yet).

13. Lord Madhammer

News Credits:
    It's either "fall apart" or "break"... I choose "fall apart"

14. Larkin Vain

With those 2 choices then I agree... at least falling apart can be easily fixed...heheh

15. Lord Madhammer

News Credits:
    Not that my Titanium Megatron didn't end up falling apart one too many times.... he became known in my house as Floppy McFlopperson until I junked him

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Yeah, IMO pretty much all the figures would've been much better as Classics. The Titanium Rodimus Prime would've been killer as a Classics Mega/Voyager.

17. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I wish they took the metal used for Titaniums and put it into Classics instead.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Titanium is actually my second favorite current line, right behind the Classics. While the Classics are undoubtedly better toys, I like how the Titaniums are bringing back characters from several lines. We've got Tits from all the toylines except G2, MW, and the Unicron trilogy, plus several of the oft-demanded designs from War Within. The first wave had some dodgy joints, but everything since has been rock solid. And while I'm not actually a die-cast fan, I do enjoy the metal on these guys. If we have to deal with Classics ending or going on hiatus, at least we'll still have Tits.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've definitely warmed up to the Titaniums recently, but if I had to choose one to cut, I'd definitely axe them. I like Classics so much better there's no contest.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I dont like any of the titaniums out right now. I saw rodimus and soundwave today, and was tempted to grab them, but decided against it.

I will get RID Optimus Prime. I will get War Within Megatron. I will get Ultra Magnus. and if they ever do a better version of War Within Optimus Prime, I will get that too.