Titanium 6 inch Transformers appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Titanium 6 inch Transformers appreciation thread.

post your love for the most awesome Transformers toy line of all time here.

okay I'll start:

Having the diecast metal parts really put this line over the top & in the special area.

This was the very first transformers toy line. to trully embrace the TF comics specially created art designs. like various war within figures.

The line gets a extra bonus for hasbro hiring TF comic artist "Don figueroa" as a free lance designer/artist. Don really did a awesome job with all the titanium 6 inch TF toys.

I'll be the first to admit the first wave or two had slightly weak articulated joints. most noticeable WW Optimus & WW Megatron

I did notice that the titanium 6 inch toy line kept getting better with every newer wave. the articulated joints were tighter. the toy enginerring was better. the desgns/sculpts were better. the homages got better.

I really liked how Don Figuerroa did the one piece alt mode transformations for G-1 ultra magnus & rodimus prime. Those were pure genious.

G-1 titanium 6 inch Scourge thus far is the best updated homage toy right now. with the energon dreadwing toy being the second best G-1 Scourge updated mold.

honestly every titanium 6 inch toy design was a home run. titanium 6 cheetor looks better than all the BM toy version.

the Titanium 6 inch cybertron seeker mold is pure awesome. its a solid & very poseable figure.

titanium 6 inch jetfire & soundwave have mild problems. like jetfire being a bit loose in the joints & soundwave wearing what fans called a diaper.

Not that many TF fans noticed. but that Titanium 6 inch optimus Primal toy mold. is actually a homage to BM Megatron's Optimal Megatron cartoon design. as it has 3 modes minus the best mold. all the toy really needs is a inner BW/BM Megatron face.

The WW fallen toy was interesting in all modes. the fire detail was pure win/heaven/love. toy was very solid,had decent poseabilty. great design & toy engineering.

WW Prowl & WW Grimlock were amazing last addition toys.

Too bad we never got the 4 cancelled Titanium 6 inch proto types of shockwave,cosmos,arcee & WW Bumblebee. that shockwave toy I really wanted as it looked so G-1 & very poseable. I was least excited about WW Bumblebee. while I really wanted the arcee. Since we got classics legends cosmos that filled the spot quite nicely.

There were rumors at botcon & on-line by hasbro that there were plans to create a G-1 Styled Galvatron that turned into a laser canon. I know this toy would have been pure awesome & I would have bought 2+.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is going to be a fun thread.

Titanium had some really nice alt mode designs. You can tell the designers had a lot of vehicle experience.

Especially the spaceships: Scourge, Jetfire and Thundercracker.

3. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only have one, Thrust, but I really like him. The metal really makes him feel solid, and his joints aren't too affected by them.

Oh, and I am pissed that Shockwave was cancelled (and Primal Prime, for that matter).

4. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    To join in on this,I loved the titanium line also,but I got shafted out of G1 Ultra Magnus,I
    never did find him,and I made up my mind I am not gonna spend no $60 or $70 for him
    when he sold for $15 at retail back then.As much as I want him he certainly isn't worth
    that much to me.Another regret was I seen 2 G1 Scourges at Wally World but didn't have
    enough money that day the next I got some more money,went back and both were gone.
    So I missed out on those.

As for the rest I managed to find those not really easy but not hard either,and got all
    that I wanted,like WW Prime,WW Megs (not GIJoe version),WW Prowl and Grimmy,The
    Fallen,G1 Rodimus Prime,and WW Jetfire,the rest I skipped on.But thats my Titanium
    App. Story.

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I love them. It was summer 2007 when Target got their shipments of 6 inchers. Stopped there when they open @8am on my way to work regularly. Got G1 Rodimus, G1 Magnus (not easy), WW Fallen, and Cheetor, which I really like a lot for both modes.
    Then TRU got their exclusives of WW Grimlock and Prowl. Very nice, didn't like the $20 retail price though but I had to get my set when I saw them at the store, really happy these got released.
    When Target got their repaints, I just got myself Hotspot on sale, the only one interesting to me.
    I like these for display pieces. G1 Rodimus and Magnus are good for that purpose.

BTW I did get 2-pack WW Prime and Megs from TRU for $20. No display stands but I like the comic book. WW Megs looks great in bot mode.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I liked the War Within Seeker mold. That was underrated.

Everything else, to me, ranges from unremarkably average to absolutely horrible.

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Neat designs, poor execution.

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was a somewhat ambivalent 6" Titanium fan. I think I liked the idea more than the actual execution. During the initial run, I bought numerous 6" Titanium figures but ultimately only ever opened Jetfire and Rodimus Prime. I enjoyed playing with both of them, the die-cast metal gave me warm fuzzy memories of the original toys in the 80s, but for whatever reason I was never goaded into opening the others I bought. Maybe because the amount of die-cast used in each figure gradually decreased over the line's life? Also, they're great MISB display pieces; the packaging is quite attractive. Also my MISB gremlin had heavy influence over me at that time.

WW Optimus Prime: I liked the look of it, but I wasn't in love with it. Didn't buy it due to its shelfwarmer status. Years later I bought a loose one secondhand. I've still never transformed it.
    "G.I. Joe" Megatron: Mainly I thought "WTF?" when I saw this toy. And it got such horrible reviews I never bought it.
    WW Thundercracker: Bought, but never opened.
    G1 Jetfire: Opened and enjoyed, though as the OP mentioned, he is wobbly. I always hoped he'd get a Thunderwing repaint...
    G1 Scourge: Bought, but never opened. Best figure of the line? Possibly...
    BW Optimal Optimus: Honestly, I can't remember if I bought him or not. I think I picked him up on clearance. Definitely never opened him.
    G1 Rodimus Prime: Bought, opened, loved. For me, this is my best figure of the line. I thought he was great, except that he was really too short to display with Classics toys.
    Soundwave: Always wanted him, but only saw him a few times and never had the money available. 6" Titaniums started to become hard to find at this point. Stores were ordering less, I guess, and Wave 1 was undoubtedly still clogging shelves.
    RiD Optimus Prime: Again, wanted him but only saw him once or twice.
    WW Starscream: Bought, but never opened.
    BM Cheetor: Bought, but never opened.
    WW Fallen: Bought, but never opened. He looked cool, but with the Fallen's prominence these days, my collector mentality will probably demand that he remain MISB forever. Retains more value that way, dontchaknow. Being the first-ever Fallen toy, and such.
    WW Megatron: Bought, but never opened. At this point, I think I was buying them mostly from a completionist's interest in eventually owning the whole set MISB and because I knew the line's cancellation was imminent and these later figues would likely be hard to find and expensive on the secondary market.
    G1 Ultra Magnus: Bought, never opened, then years later I found a loose one for sale and snapped him up. As I'd suspected, the amount of actual die-cast in him was extremely lacking. Nice, and as a non-Optimus Prime-repaint he automatically scores points, but I'm not nuts about him.
    WW Sunstorm: Bought, but never opened.
    WW Ultra Magnus: What was I just saying about non-Prime repaints? I never bought him. At least, I don't think so. Maybe I did.
    WW Grimlock: Bought, but never opened.
    WW Prowl: Bought, but never opened.
    SDCC Menasor: Bought on eBay, never opened. (Are you crazy?)
    SDCC Skywarp: No idea, gotta check my boxes.
    G1 Hot Zone, WW Optimus Prime & WW Thrust: Never bought them. The recession was in full swing, money was tight, I kept saying I'd pick them up on clearance. They went clearance, I waited for deeper clearance. They disappeared. I kinda regret it now.

I think Titanium would have fared better if the toys had been designed by the Transformers design team, and if there had been more figures per case. It was similar to what happened with Alternators: small case assortments, retailers overordered the initial waves and got stuck with shelfwarmers, killing interest at that level. Also, I don't remember many retailers allocating much shelf space to Titaniums; they just weren't given the presence they may have needed to thrive. I was pleasantly surprised when Target picked up those last three exclusives in 2009; I was sure Grimlock and Prowl would be the last we'd ever see of 6" Titanium. It gives me renewed hope that we'll eventually see Primal Prime and Soundblaster at some point.

9. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I'd like to see Soundblaster and red blue Optimal, not just the image on those TRU boxes.

10. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I have a few, but of those only G1 Magnus really appeals to me. I think I'll get Scourge and Hot Spot at some point, maybe Rodimus, but that's it. I'm absolutely not getting the complete set.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

rodimus,G-1 ultra magnus & Scourge,I'd highly recommend. there awesome homages. the joints are very tight. decent amount of articulated joints. decent toy engineering. don figueroa did a awesome job on the sculpts of these 3 toys.

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just sold all mine!

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I only have a few, and was very choosy about them. I really like the ones I bought for the most part as well. My brief rundown:

Scourge
    Rodimus
    WW Grimlock

I also have a Prime and Megatron set gifted to me from a friend to repair (Prime still doesn't have his right arm attached yet).

Overall as a line, I'm not fond of them. process sums up my thoughts the best as well. Also, the line is very bittersweet for DON, akin to his experience at Dreamwave (just not as bad). I'm still looking for a Macromasters reboot myself, but I digress . . . .

14. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a few, but nothing 'rare' or outstanding. The line was fun, but it seemed as though everything that could have been better was sacrificed so die-cast could be used as a 'gimmick'.

Jetfire - Probably my favorite. His alt mode sells it for me.
    Cheetor - best representation of the character, in my opinion.
    Optimal Optimus - really fun and well executed figure.
    WW Prime - pretty good, but floppy.
    WW Grimlock - not bad at all. One of the more playable figures.
    Soundwave - diapers aren't flattering.
    Tank Megs - floppy mess.
    WW Starscream - excellent figure and design.

I passed on the G1 stuff, mainly because it didn't hold any interest for me. Rodimus and Magnus looked good, but I didn't like the characters enough to spend the money when I saw them.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i just have rodimus, but i have been meaning to buy some of the primes.

and maybe jetfire, he looks pretty neat.

i was only ever interested in the "wwi" stuff. and i might be even more, now that WFC toys are out. :)  so i might be grabbing more now.

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I have a bunch of these. I really like the way WW Prime looks, but he's just so floppy. I have a soft spot in my heart for that fallen though. He's excellent.

17. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got the entire line. They're horrible toys, but as transforming display pieces, they're awesome.

18. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I believe titaniums were underrated. I too had them all and then sold em. I have bought some back. Rodimus is awesome. So is megatron.

19. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe someone may have mentioned Hot Zone?!?!

[​IMG]

and if anybody has an MISB titanium war within Prime id be all over buying it from you

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The War Within figures were okay.
    Cheetor was kinda neat.
    I like RID Prime because I like the character.

The rest are pretty bad.