Titanium 6" Grimlock Review & Pics

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Paladin, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Perhaps the only bright moment among the lackluster Metal Cybertron Heroes sub-line in the Titanium Series involved the first actual use of "War Within" designs in a toyline.

As the line carried on and the toy designs improved beyond the floppy originals, fans began to speculate who else could be brought in to fill the "War Within" numbers. Grimlock was high on everybody's list (as he is for every goddamned series). But, due to lackluster sales and lukewarm fan response, the Titanium line was canceled shortly after Grimlock's inclusion in the M.C.H. branch was announced.

Yet all hope was not lost for Grimlock! After some discussion, Hasbro chose to release the last two 6" Titaniums as Toys-R-Us exclusives to give the ill-fated series one last chance.

[​IMG]

Like all War Within characters, Grimlock's Vehicle Mode is a Cybertronian-style craft. This one appears to be some sort of hybrid between tank, hovercraft and monster truck. Its a good design but I wish the back portion could retract back a little farther.

[​IMG]

Grimlock's Robot Mode is very faithful to the comic design for the character but at this size just doesn't seem impressive enough to live up to his self-proclaimed "Bad-Assery."

Articulation is decent and he does not appear to suffer from the weight-distribution problems that plagued so many of the Metal Cybertron Heroes. Grimmy comes with his trademark weapons, a saber and a blaster. Both can be stored in Vehicle or Robot mode.

[​IMG]

Overall, Grimlocks' about as good as a 6" Titanium WWI mold can be. Not spectacular but the fact that we actually GOT him is worth celebrating.

2. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks great, but the arm articulation looks a little lacking.

3. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    His paint job looks awsome. I like that he has double jointed elbows too.

Overall he looks good.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can the shoulder/tread parts be more parallel to the ground in robot mode? Not sure, but I think that's how it's intended to be, with the arms hanging out the underside.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  5. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    there is a place for him on my grimlock shelf

6. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

Ebay:
    I swore off titaniums after Thundercracker, but I might need to make an exception for him... he looks fantastic.

7. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That crotch looks a bit ummm distracting... But the figure overall looks fun.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually liked the Titanium line, and checked a couple TRU's today, but haven't found him yet. He looks good though, and I like his general aesthetic better then classics Grimlock in 'bot mode.

9. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    They were released? Cool!

Anyone know if TRU Canada have them, also?

10. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Got mine yesterday and love it

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the pictures I hope I can find both of these titaniums.

12. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Super Happy Fun Review Time
    Robot Mode:
    [​IMG]
    Articulation: very basic, he has decent balance with his feet. The treads kinda hinder articulation with the arms. I kinda wish the tread panels at least folded away more. To make up for it he at least has rotatable fists.

Transformation is really simple, it's kinda similar to prime toy especially with the legs.

Vehicle Mode
    [​IMG]
    I'm not very big on the vehicle mode. The gap the front part makes me want to put something in there. A driver or something. I think a GI Joe or minicon could fit in there. If you really want a good tank vehicle mode go get Animated Blitzwing or something.

Overall: Not great, but not horrible. If you really like the War Within Grimlock go ahead and pick this one up because I don't think we'll see a non dino Grimlock for a while. Unless they get bored and repaint BT Grimlock...

More Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His arm articulation sucks, but I still love this figure. He just looks so badass in both modes. Also the instructions leave out the step of rotating his waist in vehicle mode, which makes him look so nicer. A great end-cap to the 6" Titanium saga.

[​IMG]

14. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Well-Known Member

i liked most of the tits . I was hoping for this one to come out.must buy for me.Thanks for the reviews

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally found Grimlock. I absolutely love his robot form. Vehicle mode is ok, wish I had some micromasters or minicons with me so I could display riding his "chariot." Definately recommended if you like Titaniums.

16. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

Ebay:
    Finally managed to pick him up a few days ago.

A few quick points/thoughts n observations:

• For those wondering, the metal is in his lower legs and yellow chest piece.
    • The metallic gray plastic they used is quality stuff and easily admired.
    • it's a nice touch that he can stow away his weapons in both modes.
    • His alt mode IS a bit lacking. The legs should collapse a bit more than they do, and the hole in the top of his "cockpit" definitely knocks off a couple of points (second Grimlock in a row where the bot "wings" end up leaving a gap in alt mode, but this time it's more noticeable) I wouldn't go so far as to say the tank is a complete thowaway, but it's certainly a step back from what we would expect out of a mainline TF.
    • Bot mode makes up for it. Ignoring lateral arm rotation, he's pretty poseable. His sculpt and detailing are a notch above what I've come to expect from the Titaniums.
    • QC watch: My figure's left elbow joint is loose to the point of being useless. Because it's secured by some wierd pin arrangement, hacking it open to tighten the joint would not be an easy undertaking. Thankfully, the little tread flap on his upper arm can flip up and hold the arm in place for posing.

I'm pretty iffy on the 6" Titanium figures overall, but if you're a fan of the character, Grimlock is worth looking at. He's not perhaps the best Transformer, but as a poseable sculpture(which seems to be the angle they're working for here) he's hard to beat.

17. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Does anyone have a set of pics showing a size comparison, in each mode, of Titanium and Henkei Grimlock?

18. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he looks great just wish they would do him in the classic line with the rest of the dynobots from War with in.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pros:
    * Looks just as it should in robot mode, if a bit boxy.

* color and paint work is quite nice. There's a couple rough spots on mine, but I like the details, the mix of shiny and matte paints, and the rich gunmetal color.

* Sword 'holsters' on the leg.

Cons:
    * Vehicle mode is kind of a writeoff, looking mostly like a face-down robot with an oversized hat (a lot like WW Megatron in that regard.) If the legs could've been pushed up closer to the body, it would have helped the vehicle mode a lot.

* Arms are not well articulated, and look scrawny when moved out from the tread modules. I recommend keeping them close to the tread shoulders where possibles.

* Head looks a little sunken into the upper body.

Overall: Not too bad for a Titanium toy, and a convincing adaptation of the comic book character design. Whether you get it or not probably depends more on whether you like the character or the comic than the quality of the toy, and this has little in the way of obvious deal-breakers.

20. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kept putting off this guy but ended up buying him yesterday and I'm glad I did. He's easily my favorite Titanium figure at the moment. While my previous favs, Scourge and Thundercracker, have more solid alt modes Grimlock seems a bit more fun than either of them. Unlike a lot of the titanium figs, my Grimlock has tight joints all around and a nearly flawless paint job. I even like his articulation, although the arms are a bit weird. This is a great little toy, and a good example of metal being used in a good and sensible way.

My only problem is that I can't decide who makes the best driver for him. Iron Man has a matching suit for the job, while Jar Jar can really benefit from the defensive capabilities, but Mayor McCheese has all the style. Please feel free to vote for your favorite! :p 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]