Titanium 2.0?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Jul 6, 2008.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So Titaniums showed up a lot on the overrated/underrated thread and it got me wondering. The biggest problems with Titanium is that the diecast resulted in a lack of stability, higher price point, and simple transformation. So the question is how hard would it be or how costly would it be for Hasbro the make Titanium out of plastic?

Pros of a Plasticrackium line.
    - Design already done. No R&D cost.
    - Molds already created. No mold cost (use the current molds or recreate one for cheaper)
    - Lower price point. Hasbro can probably charge $7.99-$8.99 for these since there's no diecast, no R&D, less mold cost.
    - Captive audience - at less than a deluxe and almost half the cost of a Titanium there would be no problem selling these. All the crack addicts would buy em, all the people who loved the designs but hated the stability would buy them, all the cheapskates would buy them, and parents can buy them for their kids since the simple transformation of plasticrakiums would add soo much play value?

Has this already been suggested?

Overrated/underrated thread.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2205178#post2205178

2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

The figures were made bulkier and less complicated due tot he metal. The same molds in plastic would be pretty terrible figures.

And if we are talking as a 2.0, then that assume new figs with new design why not just make them classics?

3. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't make them classics because as you said they're too simplistic. Also, most of the line is war within and others so they wouldn't be G1. Universe maybe, not classics. If your only choices for a war within Prime/Megatron/Grimlock/Prowl/Starscream/Jetfire was diecast floppiness for $16 or plastic simplicity at $8, what's a better option.

And in plastic would these be such terrible figures for 4-8 year olds?

4. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    They should just port the Titanium characters over to Classics/Universe and give them new molds. Not Previously released Titaniums but ones they planned to release. They could rework them and make them Deluxes with better transformations. I'd love a Deluxe Primal Prime.

5. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    It's going to be absolutely tragic if we don't get something very much like Titanium Shockwave, Arcee and Cosmos, especially that Shockwave. My collection badly needs a Deluxe-sized G1 Shockwave (to go with Titanium Ultra Magnus and Rodimus Prime and Universe Galvatron).

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    This.
    DN

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure you can't use the exact same molds for ZaMac as you can for plastic, so they'd have to cut all new molds. Cost++ there. You'd need to redesign masks too since you aren't painting all the same stuff because of molded plastic, cost++ again. You'd end up with toys that were just as expensive, if not more than the originals, and design wise they weren't all that spectacular to begin with.

8. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm. . . That's interesting. That makes it suprising that they ended up doing alternators as plastic in the US and die in Japan.

Can't imagine that the toys would be more expensive though as the mold and masks would cost $$$ but not more then it originally costs and the metal for parts would be gone. Design wise, if it could be done and sold at scout-level pricing the original titanium designs aren't any less complex then scouts.

While this would be ideal, Hasbro has so much on their plate right now between Animated, TFTM 2, and Classics 2.0 that it's not going to happen. I'm looking for a solutions that Hasbro would actually consider to get playable War Within molds. I'm guessing that the lack of responses to this thread shows that the fandom wouldn't really be interested and since titanium is mostly WW, it probably wouldn't do well as a general release either. Just wishful thinking on my part because I want WW since I'm only so-so on Animated, overloaded on TFTM, and dazed by the Classics/Henkei paintapplica-fest.

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

The problem is NOT that they're War Within. It's that they're too expensive for the intrest level. I would be ALL OVER a War-Within-cetric sub-line, cast in plastic, of the same quality as Classics/Universe.

Of course, I'd be EVEN MORE *ALL OVER* a War Within line done with Alternators level design. But that's just me.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Nah.

Gimme a War Within subline.

Hell, give me a comics subline and let's see Hearts of Steel figures *drool*.

11. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Oh dear weeping Buddha, a Classiverse War Within subline would make me collapse with joy*.

Call it Cybertronian mode if you like, Mr Hasbro.

*Hearts of Steel would as well but aren't the characters/transformations a bit too limited?