Titanic (1912-2012)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WWMEGATRON, Mar 21, 2012.

1. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

This forum is dedicated as an open discussion of Titanic 100th anniversary...

Many ships have sailed the North Atlantic: bigger, faster, more luxurious. Yet, one still sticks in the mind of man, leaving her mark on the world more ways than anyone could ever imagine...

The White Star Line's Olympic Class Royal Mail Ship Titanic

[​IMG]

By this point in time, the unsinkable was under the last 10 days of refitting, completed on March 31 1912. The 2nd Sister of the Olympic Class, Titanic was the very pinnacle of modern naval engineering and beauty at the time of her construction. Because she was the embodiment of all lesson past sinkings. She had bright future a head.

When she collided with an iceberg on April 14 and sank on April 15 1912 with a huge loss of life, a hard reality was apparent; mankind was not the true master of the Elements. Her death, signal the end of the Victorian Era.

As we look and reflect on the lives lost, the lives of the survivors, the lives of her creators and the short young life of Titanic.

If you know any historical event of the last 10 days refitting the Titanic point it out.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    She remains in our hearts. And our hearts will go on and on. :( 

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah. Someone should totally go back in time & stop that boat from sinking.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If only there was a pair of binoculars on board.

5. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

How sneaky of you. :( 

I enjoy watching the shows that have footage of her and how creepy she seems now.

Chuck

6. WWMEGATRON

There were, in the safe throughout the voyage. The original 2nd Officer by the name Blair took the key to the safe when he was removed from the command of the ship. Officer Henry Wilde of Olympic was put on Titanic as new Chief Officer, causing original C.O. William Murdoch to be demoted to 1rst and 1rst officer Charles Lighttoller to be demote to 2nd and 2nd Officer Blair was removed.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL, have you guys participated in the Vegas Titanic expo?

It's fun, they give you a passenger's name and at the end, you'll find out if your passenger survived. So... it was kinda easy to figure out...

My guy was broke and the ex's guy was RICH, so of course my guy didn't make it off the boat:2c: .

They also recreated parts of the ship for you to experience. The rooms, deck, etc; they even had an actual piece of the ship there! Of course, the sign said no touching, so I touched it anyway :) 

8. WWMEGATRON

Oh you devil:) 

9. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If only there was a pair of binoculars in the crow's nest ... :D 

I actually did go to that! How eerie was that?! It was very cool to see though and quite the educational experience. I think my guy died too ... unfortunately. I would love to go see that exhibit again.

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

What do ya know, as soon as I start reading this I see a commercial on the TV saying the movie is coming back in theaters

On a side note:
    Chris291 you do love that :2c:  emote don't you :lol 

11. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I heard Gilmer and Blood sank the Titanic.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You and I BOTH know Gilmer and Blood were in stasis at that time.

Interestingly enough, the Titanic represents a confluence of engineering mistakes during design that came together during the disaster to really accelerate the sinking. You could probably argue that the engineers in question couldn't have known about these factors, given scentific knowledge at the time, but it's interesting to look at them now and see how "dumb" they seem.

Firstly, the watertight chambers included in the design were essentially a new development in ship design, and were a major part of what was supposed to make the ship "unsinkable". However, their design did not include a "top" to the chambers, meaning that when one filled up, it simply spilled water into the next one. Now, as the ship was already tilting somewhat, this had an effect of bringing water into watertight chambers that would have been otherwise safe from the rupture. The sheer size of the rupture from the iceberg (covering almost a third of the hull) also was far more than these chambers were designed to cope with. Some historians believe that, had the Titantic steered INTO the iceberg and had a frontal collision instead, that the crumpling effect would have actually been less disastrous, as only a few chambers would have filled with water, delaying sinking long enough for help to arrive.

In terms of the rupture itself, there's a few studies that have concluded that the type of steel used in the hull was one with a relatively high brittle/plastic transition temperature. The brittle/plastic transition temperature is the point below which fracture stops being plastic (like stretching a gummy bear until it tears) and starts being brittle (like breaking glass). This particular steel, in the cold waters of the atlantic, became more brittle, and cracked under the impact of the iceberg rather than bending and/or yielding in terms of a smaller tear.

Similarly, there's been studies into the rivet shape and size used in the hull of the Titanic. Some believe that the shape of the rivets acted as a stress concentrator (much like the reason for why airplane windows are shaped the way they are), meaning that the steel was essentially under stress at the rivet points, and that the rupture would have been accelerated because of this. The above brittle effect would only have further accelerated this failure of the steel. I've read about one study where an alloy similar to that used in the titanic was stressed under temperatures similar to the water that night, and the rivets actually shot out with considerable force.

13. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :popcorn  I am really enjoying all of the Titanic historians. Please keep the facts coming.

14. Deltus

Deltus 異種

[​IMG]

15. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Did the display have 497 1/2 feet of rope?

16. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I saw it when it was a traveling exhibit, once in Vancouver BC and also in Seattle. It was very impressive.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Amazing almost 100 Hundred Years have went by.

I need to rewatch James Cameron's Titanic again....

18. WWMEGATRON

19. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently went to a really good museum about the Titanic. I've always been fascinated by it. I read on TV Tropes that after the success of James Cameron's movie (which I've still got to see), someone wanted to make a replica (wonder if they'd make it so exact they'd recreate the faults that caused the disaster?) of the ship and have it sail the Titanic's route on the 100th anniversary of it so people could have their own romantic voyages like in the movie (guess they forgot how it ended), but they couldn't get anyone to invest in it, since no one was willing to tempt fate that much.

20. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Man, that would've been awesome to experience. Went to a small one about 10 years or so ago that was travelling around from city to city. It was in either Chattanooga or Nashville, but it was so long ago I can't remember. Pretty much a self guided tour. They gave us a Walkman thing with headphones and you listened to a narrator talking about the Titanic and each of the artifacts on display as you walked through the exhibit. Pretty cheesy, but it was still cool.