Heavy/Scratch: Titan-Scale Display Case

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by StrifeZ, Aug 10, 2017.

1. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Like many people I use Detolfs to display my TFs, however Titan scale TF's present a problem: the humanoid ones take up a shelf and a half of space (I have Fortress Maximus in one), and there is simply no way for Trypticon with his tail to fit.

So I decided to make a barebones display case because ones big enough for Titans are usually quite expensive. But I didn't want to spend a lot of money to do so. This post will tell you what you need and how to build it.

Materials:
    -Wood board as a base 36 inches long by 16 inches wide by 0.75 inches tall (home depot, $8)
    -5 x 48x1.5x.75 wooden pieces ($1.50 each)
    -Nails for hanging pictures
    -Mending plate ($5)
    -double sided tape ($5)
    -roll of clear duct tape ($5)
    -3 or 4 (depending on back) clear PETG pieces ($5.50 each). These are pretty tough. To be clear, it is actually clear. The sheets you get (and the picture) has a white-ish protection film on both sides you need to just rip off.
    -Boxcutter knife
    -Cutting board (from the kitchen)
    -measuring tape
    Total = $41.00 - $46.50

To build this you need to cut the 5x 48x1.5x.75 wooden pieces as follows
    -Cut two of them in half, 24 inches tall (so in half). These are the four "legs"
    -Cut two of them to be 36 inches long. This will be the top edge along the long sides.
    -Cut one of them into three pieces, with two of them being 13 inches long. This will the top edge along the short side.

First we need to build the top. To do this arrange the pieces you just cut for the top in a rectangle with the two long edges connected by the two short edges. Join them using four mending plates by nailing or screwing the 4 pieces together.

Second, we need to connect these too the legs. Nail the legs to the top piece. as such:
    [​IMG]

Third, flip what you just built so the legs are pointing up and lay the wooden plank that will function as the base on toop of it. Nail the legs into the wooden plank base through what will be the bottom.
    [​IMG]

We now have our wooden frame that we're going to put the PETG plastic over it. You'll want to measure your own version exactly, but for mind I cut the 24x48 sheets into 24x36, two 24x16, and 36x16. I don't have a back on mine (yet), so there is just window piece. Regardless you'll want to meausre your own.

TO put these on, you want to first put them in place by putting double sided tape on the wooden posts, and then overlaying the PETG sheets. Finally, once the sheet is in place, cover all four corners with clear duct tape.

And you're done!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Thanks for this! I'd been trying to find an inexpensive way to make windows for my display. Plexiglass, glass and a few other options were way too expensive. I could take care of my whole setup with those plastic sheets.

3. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    That is a great idea! It's like a terrarium for Titans.

4. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    Yeah lemme clarrify about how tough they are. The picture makes it look like its saran wrap. It's most certainly not.

The sheets are not strong enough that they can support themselves. They bend. It's not perfectly rigid. It needs a frame. But I think I'd have to stab at it really hard in order to cut it. I think it's several times tougher than the plastic used on transformer packages.

But I looked at alternatives. Acryllic and stronger plastics grew to be very expensive very quickly and i was looking for something that would be pretty easy to cut by hand. The size for Titans is pretty specific, so I needed to use several cutting boards (for food) ends to end, while I taped a ruler to the PETG pieces (still with the film on top) and cut it as desired using a box cutter. I don't know how much thicker the plastic could have been before it would have needed a more specialized tool.

But yeah. I looked around, and those PETG plastic pieces from Walmart are the right size, for the right price. The alternatives made this project more expensive (or more difficult) really quick.

If I could change anything, it would be to change the wood frame for the plastic to a thinner, wire one, but I would have had to construct the edges different and been more precise with the cuts of the PETG plastic. As is is, it's "good enough".

• Like Like x 1
  5. conleyh2006

conleyh2006 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    this is awesome I am so building one of these

6. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    One of the reasons I made this post was to help people find a cheap, strong, big piece of transparent plastic that can be cut with a box cutter + cutting board or scissors.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONE-PETG-CLEAR-PLASTIC-SHEET-020-24-X-48/553063804

That is it. Your search is over You can do almost anything with it. If you wanted to you could make a huge display case using it and an ikea or staples bookshelf plus a sheet or two by folding a long edge a few inches in and making a kind of door+hinge and using some cleat duct tape to secure. Or you can use a glue gun and some $3 hinges from home depot and secure it to the bookcase using the the proper hinge.

All in all, just a way to keep almost any transformer less dusty while on display. No need for them to be exposed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Just received my order today from Walmart. You're the man! These sheets are perfect. I see what you mean about them not being strong enough to support their own weight but at the same time, it's not going to rip, tear, scratch or otherwise break unless you're trying to do so.

I bought two of these sheets just to test run them so I'm going to end up with some extra leftover and I have a few ideas in mind to use it for one of my customs.

Thanx!