Titan Returns Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lady Slipstream, Nov 20, 2015.

1. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

But I like the vtol fans that turn into wheels :c

• Like Like x 3
  2. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

3. The Kup

The Kup Plastic Crack Pusher

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Same. :thumb  Only time turn his head is when I need him looking at something for a picture or when I'm just messing around with him. It's a minor annoyance, but that doesn't stop him from being on (hopefully) my top 10 list for this year. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

Nice pics!

Sadly I have to wait eternally for BBTS to put up preorders. No Targets in sight and that means no Wave 5 voyagers in sight for me and even if I did find a Target they'd probably have a very shitty selection :( 

As much as I love TFs and as much as I love collecting sometimes there are times like this makes me really hate collecting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Between 2014 and now, Generations in any name, has given us a good portion of G1 season 1 and season 2 in toy form. Heck, we even got Cosmos and Seaspray, for goodness sake. We never did get a proper Shockwave update. He doesn't need to be Leader, but he at least should be Voyager. We're long overdue, it's time. I know we won't see it in TR, since it's coming to a close, but the next line? They really need to make it happen.

• Like Like x 3
  6. transfan32

transfan32 Member

Shockwave would be awesome to have as an updated figure! Also, just throwing it out there, DINOBOTS!!!!!!! Not counting the movie figures we haven't had decent versions of them in a long time, other than 3rd party figures and MP Grimlock. These guys are long overdue for official updated G1 versions.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Large

Large Currently Speedrunning Life TFW2005 Supporter

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    [​IMG]

(Gnaw is life)
    Well you're very welcome but of course you need a Black Shadow, he's everything you've been secretly wishing for.
    Speaking of what's necesary in life, did I ever mention the wonder of the universe, the absolute perfect sacred thing among all things there is that is Qua...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. Large

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    And day 04 of Wave4 trip, today with the strongest of littlest, the mightier of the frowners, the breaker of phase-sixers... Brawn of house Titan.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  9. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Picked up Brawn the other day. Not a bad figure, but I can't say it impressed me all that much.
    I really hate the removable back piece. Yeah, it can plug into the top and be stationary (easy Outback potential), but it just doesn't seem necessary. I'd have much rather had a gun.
    Also, the transformation is kind of boring. They don't all need to be stunners, but Roadburn was a lot more fun to open and transform than Brawn.

10. thedicemaster

thedicemaster Well-Known Member

if you want a gun for him, get his mini-me.

though guns aren't his thing at all, he's a terrible shot.

11. Yaujta

News Credits:
    I had him with the TM thing for about 20 seconds. His hand holes aren't deep enough to hold the gun handle securely, so I abandoned it.
    Oh well. I won't be using this Brawn for my Cyberverse display anyway. Sticking with the old Legion figure. Scales better with the lineup I'm building.

12. thedicemaster

thedicemaster Well-Known Member

they're deep enough, but the holes are a bit too big.
    even the spare tire panel was loose in his hands, so i put some nail polish top coating in his 5mm ports.
    his accessories now all plug in properly.

edit:
    Untitled8.jpg
    "say hello to my little friend"

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  13. smf2045

smf2045 Autobot Air Guardian

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Forgot to put in Kickback. He was a long-sought after piece to complete my Insecticons.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  14. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    What kind of insane train is that? I'd hop aboard!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream >:3

News Credits:
    IMG-20170514-WA0013.jpg
    Near, far, wherever you are
    I believe that the heart does go on...

• Like Like x 13
  16. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I easily have a top five Transformers that America got that we didn't, I've given that whole injustice that much thought. Those holy grails that I'd built up so much in my imagination. Shockwave was one, but I was lucky enough to find a Galactic Man in Blackpool during one summer holiday with my gran, Fortress Maximus (obviously), Swoop, The Preadcons and Blaster were the others. There are certain issues of Transformers that are burned so brightly into my memory that I don't remember the stories, I remember exactly where I was sitting when I read them, what time of day it was, sometimes even the trip to the newsagent.
    TF:UK #66, the first part of Bob Budiansky's The Smelting Pool was one of those. I read it over and over again, way more than I would any other issue. It was so dark, and moody, and bleak. The Decepticons ran Cybertron and, unsurprisingly, had turned it into your standard issue totalitarian dystopia. Of course, I was seven, so this was my first real totalitarian dystopia and it blew my little mind. And right in the centre of that story was Blaster. He was hardened, cynical, and bitterly angry. A loner that had been damaged by all he'd seen but deep down still managed to hang on to his compassion for others. Your standard issue Wolverine trope. Of course, I was seven, so this was my first real...you get the idea.

This story was the darkest thing that Bob Budiansky had come up with since the early days of Shockwave keeping Prime's head captive. Bob's usual work was standard kid's adventure fair for the most part. Wacky adventures that usually balanced the Autobots discovering more about humanity, from Bruce Springsteen concerts to cowgirls that gave you a wash in their undies, with thwarting the pompous Decepticons latest plans to steal energy. They weren't bad stories but when you sit them next to the stuff that Furman was burning out it couldn't help but compare badly. Not this though, and even though Furman picked up the 'Decepticon ruled Cybertron' ball and ran with it, I don't think he ever equaled the despairing mood of this. That's right, not even when Impactor died.

So, of course, I lusted after a Blaster toy. I can't quite remember how we found out about Blaster and Perceptor having toys. Someone in the letters page maybe? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some catalogue with the deluxe Insecticons, so I might have seen it there? I wanted him so bad. I loved every inch of the toy I could see. He had the helmet he wore in The Smelting Pool, rather the design we saw in the cartoon and the UK strips, that super cool rifle and his design just seemed perfect, with those great proportions, amazing colour scheme, and bloody great big speakers in his legs. I don't think I ever realised how tall he was. They made a big deal of Jetfire's height in every piece of fiction but Blaster's toy stands nearly as tall.

I got Blaster maybe a month after I'd decided to start buying G1 toys. Picked him up cheap in a lot of incomplete and broken TF's. He had a bit of a crack in his chest but for someone who didn't have a garunteed income I'd happily settle for that. Much like Jetfire, Omega Supreme, and Shockwave you can tell that he wasn't designed to be part of a Diaclone or Microchange line up. They all stand so much taller than thier other '85 friends for a start. But there's subtle little clue in thier engineering. The metal bars that Blaster's arm transformation rely on is so unlike other Transformers of his era.

Considering how much I'd built Blaster up in my mind it's a testament to how good the toy is that I wasn't disappointed by him. Sure he's boxy as ayou like and his arms are actually much shorter than I thought they'd be when I was staring at tiny, blurry pictures of this toy, but he's an imposing, impressive looking bot with a perfect head sculpt. I love the extra visor and fins on the helmet. His expression has that classic Japanese smile that we've seen on the likes of Swoop and Jazz. He still looks ready for all hell, but you can see that core of compassion and decency in there. Maybe I'm projecting too much? I really do love the head sculpt though. let's just settle by saying it has a lot of personality? And of course those big speakers in his legs! I'm not even sure I can articulate why I love that so much, but for me it's an inspired design choice. He doesn't eally have much articulation to speak of; shoulders articulation and a head swivel that's more a byproduct of the transformation sequence than anything else. The ghetto blaster mode is great but comes off a little mroe fisher price than the 1:1 scale elegance of Soundwave.

So, if you've been following these for a while, you'll have picked up that I'm a bit of a scale nut, to the point where I'd rather have an inferior toy that scales well over a superior toy that looks odd standing next tothier teammates (hi T:30 Brainstorm!). For me TR Blaster was going to be an easy pass, much like TR Powermaster Optimus was going to be an easy pass. But we all know how that went. (I bought the Takara Legends Super Ginrai, if you didn't know). Passing on this blaster vexed me a little, because he looked PERFECT. he was exactly the design I wanted to see on Blaster; that much loved toy accurate helmet! But a Blaster that was as tall as Ultra Magnus? Not on my Lostlight M8. I think it was only when I saw TR Trypticon and thought about how amazing that was going to look when you attached Overlord and Skyshadow's base modes to it, that I thought I should probably get Blaster so Fort Max would have something comparable. That and the fact I liked lining up the TR heads based upon their G1 year of release. So if you're going to get a bot that's probably not actually going to sit in your main display what do you do? You buy the Japanese import premium deco. Much like Legends Super Ginrai, the packaging is gorgeous and I'm quite happy having this guy displayed in box.

[​IMG]

In bot mode Legends Blaster is pretty much perfect. At least to my eye. With respect to the bot design it's taken the 'if it's not broke' approach that so much of Titans Return has. Whereas previous CHUG Blasters might have been hard to identify as Blaster if they weren't painted red and yellow this guy would still stand as the real deal if they released him as a grey prototype. The engineering is updated to give him all the right articulation, and he is oh so poseable, and the cassette door has a satisfying clunk when it springs open. It is kind of amazing that this guy stands shoulder to shoulder with his G1 counterpart and can still not look out of place on a Masterpiece shelf. That G1 Blaster really was absurdly tall.

There's only a couple of negative points for this guy. Obviously I wish he was Voyager sized, but get real. As a consequence of getting the Takara version I have the blue and white face, but that's a question of personal preference so I'd feel mean deducting points for that. Due to the chunkiness of his legs (with the speakers. Yay!) his thighs don't close as tightly as they might, but that seems to be the cost of the leg to speaker transformation.

Which brings me neatly to his alt mode. In this day and age when everyone has smartphones and docking stations (I still have a record player. Thorens TD160, if you must know) the boom box/ghetto blaster is always going to be a hard sell. It's hard to justify making something too slavish to the '80's design and this is a fair update. The elongated speakers do evoke the modern docking station a wee bit. When I first got him out the box and played with him I was struck by how smart and intuitive the transformation was. I was expecting something much more convoluted, and this was a real pleasure.

I can't do a Blaster review without giving a wee shout out to the Action Master Blaster. He, Shockwave and Treadshot were the the last G1 Transformers I saw as a kid. Heretically I rather like the Action Masters and being able to have animation/comic accurate versions of these characters was a real pleasure. AM Blaster was a particularly satisfying rendering of the character. He and AM Shockwave were toys I picked up back in those early months where I only bought MP scale. I'm proud to have a nearly complete collection of Action Masters, just missing Tracks, Sideswipe, and Bombshell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  17. Large

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    The weekend's incoming and we all gonna enjoy it!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  18. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

He's a solid toy, but he's definitely not one to impress.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, definitely solid and we'll made. Can't deny that.

20. Large

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    So much this buddy.

The Smelting Pool is by far the most satisfying issue done by Bob along with Warriors School (I admit I have a very soft spot for the Skids/Charlene issue as well but that's all Skids fanboyism there I suppose).

Evidently I didn't met Blaster and all the Polyhex gang with this issue but nonetheless, it managed to make enough impact for me to dissociate them from their cartoon counterpart and be quite happy about it.

They rule!
    [​IMG]

As for the LG/TR Blaster, once again I'm with you on all account.
    Couldn't pass it. Find him really nice. Would prefer a Voyager size. But oh well.

With Powerglide and Warpath already having good chug toys, Percy in wave4 and Seaspray/Cosmos on their way, how much awesome would be Beachcomber for Wave6, eh ?

• Like Like x 4