Titan Returns Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lady Slipstream, Nov 20, 2015.

1. ling4

ling4 Active Member

done for the squad. finally:) 
    IMG_20180515_110045398.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  2. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    "You are under arrest for the murders of the Mistress of Flame, Computron, Menasor, and Devastator! You have the right to remain silent!"

[​IMG]

"Southern gentleman my aft!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  3. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Best of the TR Voyagers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 20
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

I am actually surprised that you liked him the most. Perhaps I need to go back and re-read your flashback reviews (good name for them, hehe). Personally, Blitzwing stole the show for me, but Broadside's bot mode is total beefcake badass, and after some new weapons, a fanmode, and some stickers, he is pretty amazing, but he is still lower in my poll than Blitzwing (#1), Astrotrain (#2), and Octane (#3).

Of course, when it comes to opinions, there are no wrong answers. Perhaps you could do a nostalgia-fueled write-up detailing your favorites from the line and why now that it is essentially over with the last of the LG releases done. I am a big fan of these posts of yours.

• Like Like x 2
  6. barry

News Credits:
    Aw, thanks dude!

That's not a bad idea. Maybe after the last bits of the PotP stuff have snuck out I'll do some sort of big Prime Wars retrospective ramble. My Slugslinger write up was kind of my obituary for the Titans Return line, but it didn't really go into who my toppermost of the poppermost were. Will I manage to pick just ten figures from the trilogy?

I think the thing I loved about Broadside was just how solid he was. Sure that jet mode is a bit crap, but my issues with the three Decepticon triple changers were much greater (Octane's gappy inner calves and the QC issues mine had with his wings, Blitzwing's super panel-yness, and Astrotrain being so disproportionate - his legs go ALLLLLLL the way up).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Why ? Is that a limit you inflict to yourself ?

On my side, Titans return was a big relief, even more than that, I think I'm missing some english vocabulary to express what I think of htis line.

I've not been happy with TFs so much since end of Cybertron/GF.

Oh I got quite everything since, CHUG, animated, movies... but only to follow the flow of new releases, in the end,I sold back a lot of figures of this era, I've quite no movies & animated figures left outside Optimus, and the pure CHUG left are not a lot.

Then TR happened.

I'm still not sure what mades this line so awesome for me. I can only try to guess several factors :

- A line wide gimmick, which helps creating the experience of a real full new line, contrary to all the renames of generations stuff. (without the package, what is the difference between a Universe 2.0, a classic and a T30 ?), and not a small gimmick like thermal sticker, but something deeply anchored on all size classes, from the titan master vehicules to the merging bases.

- A very very well engineered gimmick, with few bad impact on the toys. (I think the only damage of the whole line being Galvatron's crest).

- An increase of quality and engeenering on the toys. Maybe it's only me, but I really see a difference on the latests years of Generations and TR. Lastest generation toys were suffering the same illness as Movie s ones, with panels fidgeting, whole altmodes holding by two unstable tabs etc.. TR on the contrary have all solid altmodes and fun transformations.
    When you compare toys like T30 Blitzwing to TR Blitzwing, of T30 Bumblebee to TR Hotrod, we're definitely in two different categories.
    T30 Bumblebee has litterally no constraints, no gimmick to run, nothing outside transforming from robot to car, and it's doing it wrongly, with alt mode not rolling well because of undercarriage, robot mode completely hollow and made only of faux-parts, and transformation is un-fun because of leg sliding panels, etc.
    TR Hotrod had a big constraint : storing a driver in alt-mode, and the toy ends better than T30 Bumblebee, with no faux-parts at all, solid robot mode, solid car mode and fun transformation.
    Same for Blitzwing where the comparison is even more impressive. The T30 had only one thing to do : be a triple changer.
    TR had to be a triple changer and had to store a pilot in both vehicule modes.
    And the result ? The T30 has no successful mode, with even the robot not holding together, when the TR has all three mode working better, more convincing and which do not fall appart when you touch it.
    And I can do all the line like this.

I'm not sure the reason behind, if the team changed (I've read some people left at Hasbro's side recently) or if their engineers work better when they have well defined constraints than when they're comlpetely free, but the result is here.

However, I'm less thrilled by Potp, the gimmick of prime master doesn't really works, it's nothing else than combiner wars 2.0, while I admit deluxes are better and have more personality of CW ones which where a bunch of repaints with the exact same engineering.

I 'll really miss TR/Legends.

edit : because I like to do lists, here's how it looks in my collection :
    Sans titre 1.jpg

As much, if not more TR than the 10 years of CHUG. I think it means everything.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

I understand completely about the issues. My Octane needed some tlc to tab the truck cab together for truck mode, including sanding and then thickening tabs. I see what you mean about Astrotrain, but his proportions don't both me much. I just plain love the mold, and kind of regret not getting the LG one for cartoon accurate deco.

I really hope you do a final write-up or series (with pics!) before these boards wind down. Your reviews have been the highlight of any of the boards for me personally.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey guys,quick question but does anybody know if Hasbro is doing Moonracer and Novastar,I have seen listings for these for Takara but not Hasbro,can someone clarify?

10. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    moonracer has been out for a while from hasbro, she was wave 2, i believe novastar is wave 3 or 4

11. barry

News Credits:
    It's a very traditional, and useful, number to impose when reviewing something vast, be that a band's back catalogue or the best figures from a trilogy. It forces you to make meaningful decisions and be ruthless so you can really get to the essence of what the best parts of the 'thing' you're reviewing. Whether I've got the self discipline to stick to just ten figures that represent the best of the Prime Wars line is another question.

While I certainly agree with your enthusiasm for the Titans Return line, because it was a monster, the comparisons you've made highlight the problem with...well, making comparisons. TR Hot Rod was one of the TR deluxes that impressed me the most and T:30 'bee was one of the T:30 deluxes that impressed me the least. What about if we compare TR Hot Rod to T:30 Ratrap, or compare T:30 'bee to TR Skullcruncher. How about comparing TR Blitzwing to T:30 Springer, Whirl, or Brainstorm. To my eye all three of those T:30 Voyagers I mentioned were far superior to any of the TR Voyagers. Does that mean T:30 was better than TR? Definitely not. But none the less the picture has become fuzzier. TR is definitely an evolution in the franchise, in terms of attention to detail if nothing else, but I guess I don't want to put another very good line down for the sake of bigging TR up.

Today has definitely shown me that I'm in the minority about thinking Broadside is the best TR Voyager. The love people have expressed for the three Decepticon Triple Changers has been really something/. And that's great. I've never wanted to live in world where everyone agreed with me. How boring, and passionless.

And seriously, thank you so much for those words of encouragement. People have always been pretty nice about my rambles but I've always just took that as an appreciative gesture from a supportive community. So I'm a wee bit taken aback to read they're someone's highlight of the boards. Thank you. And yes, I'll definitely do a final write up! I guess I'll start thinking about my top ten (totally contradicting everything I wrote about comparisons? yeah, maybe kinda a little?)

• Like Like x 4
  12. transfan32

transfan32 Grinding my teeth.....

You and I may be in the minority but we’re not alone. Broadside was my favorite TR Voyager as well. He was awesome to begin with but I got the reprolabels and a weapon upgrade kit that made him better. The fan mode jet is awesome. His color scheme, design, everything just worked. He was a nice surprise and a welcome addition to the line and my collection.

• Like Like x 3
  13. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...with new annex wing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  14. PGaither84

PGaither84 Just a guy

Alright, a new update and I can finally post pictures again!

As I said, I love the titanmaster/headmaster play feature. I know some don't, and I respect that, but I enjoy it.

Here is Takara's Spike from Bumblebee on Takara's Brainstorm. I also got Takara's Blur, which looks AMAZING, wearing Brainstorm's head for fun as well.
    20180503_195819.jpg 20180503_195805.jpg 20180503_195643.jpg 20180503_195612.jpg 20180503_195601.jpg
    I think Spike looks better than the original head, and I prefer to put the original innthe titanmaster truck/gun mode to the side... when Spike isn't busy riding with Bumblebee.

Blurr doesn't have any yellow, but the white and North Carolina Blue from Brainstorm blend perfectly with him. Brainstorm only makes it work for himself because of his cockpit/chest/abs.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 13
  15. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  16. Cyberrabbits

Cyberrabbits Well-Known Member

46BA6858-AD8F-4BE0-95E3-BEB0F75EBCE6.jpeg
    Got Legends Blurr and I love that color scheme. Watch as Blurr mingles with the rest of the Blue Bot Group.

• Like Like x 10
  17. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    So glad that I picked up Skytread. :) 

20180516_021200.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  18. barry

News Credits:
    Astrotrain feels so odd compared to Octane and Blitzwing. Where those two really hewed close to some sort of platonic ideal of the toy and the animation model, like a budget MP (old skool), Astrotrain feels like the updated re-imagining that was the Generation line's stock-in-trade. It's kind of symptomatic for TR; everything from around wave 3 suddenly seemed much more faithful to what had gone before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  19. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Battles for the fun of it!

Indeed, the design has drawn very heavily on Sentinel Prime's comic appearances (merely with some additional wings caused by the altmode) and not much on any past appearance of Astrotrain at all. I've always been puzzled by the people who denounced Sentinel as some kind of "blatantly obvious pre-tool".

20. barry

News Credits:
    Yeah, who the main and who the pre-tool is becomes increasingly fuzzier the further down the years we go. It feels like the thought process went, for example, "how can we get Cyclonus out of Silverbolt" and evolved into "How can we make Starscream have more in common with Elita-1", if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 3