tired of the mega spanning miniseries?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    me too...there seems to have just been a huge onslaught over the last few years of mega event to mega event...house of M, son of m, civil war, planet hulk, secret war, and the upcoming world war hulk, silent war....and DC has been doing it a little, from identity crisis to infinite and all the series in between, but that seems to be calming down...i just want a full year without a megasuperhyperchangeallthatyouknow event...anyone else with me?

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

after house of M, identity crisis, infinite crisis, and the current civil war. I am seriously tired of them. I just want a good monthly title..

Thank goodness for Invincible.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    dude, hell yeah to invincible...i love kirkman...im such a dork for him...are you reading antman or anything else he does??

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm still crossover-ed out from Infinite Crisis. That's the main reason why I'm skipping Civil War (that and House of M almost made me drop Marvel entirely, and left me with no faith in their capacity to do a huge crossover event).

If DC wants to do another big event in '07 or '08, I'll probably read it, but Marvel would have to come up with something really, really impressive to get me interested.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I love large crossovers and all the tie ins. I lvoe when either DC or Marvel feels like a large cohesive universe. Can't wait for Planet Hulk

6. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

House of M was a major dud, Civil war seems awfully contrived, I personally am not digging these marvel crossovers.

However, Annihlation kicks ass.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I'm enjoying the marvel stuff, but I didn't care for Infinite Crisis.

The fallout from House of M was more interesting than House of M itself. That includes Son of M which shows why you never ever mess with Blackbolt. I can't wait until he brings the war to Earth.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Identity/Infinite Crisis and their various tie-ins were pretty good (not high art or anything, just good), but everything I've read about 'Civil War' suggests that it's just a heavy-handed mess and it's turned me off reading anything from Marvel 616 for a very, very long time (and I don't like Marvel 1610 much either, so I'm basically DC-exclusive right now).

Anyway, I like that event miniseries tie all the various characters in a particular universe together and makes things more cohesive in that universe...but at the same, they often suffer from weak writing and the need to buy tie-ins to fully understand everything, not to mention the tendency to use them as a way to clean out the lower-tier. Much as I liked them, Identity/Infinite Crisis were rushed in a number of spots, had plot points that didn't make sense (Alex Luthor just randomly losing his powers at the end, for example) and a multitude of dramatic contrivances. While Infinite Crisis was understandable without reading the tie-in miniseries and issues, they were necessary to fully flesh out the story...something which wasn't helped by the lack of "Editor's Notes" to indicate which issue/book I'd need to pick up to see Event X or what happened to Character Y. And most of the deaths were of B-listers (or lower) who hadn't done anything in years, so there wasn't much impact for me. From what I've heard of Civil War, the writing is really heavy-handed and has massively violated the "both sides will be portrayed fairly" idea that Marvel was promoting before the event began. Also, reading some of the review threads for Civil War #5, it sounds like the 'core' miniseries is almost incomprehensible without having read many/all of the tie-ins in other titles; IMO, the core should be able to stand on it's own (like Infinite Crisis). And, again, many of the deaths have been low-tier villains and heroes.

I'd much rather see smaller 'events' every year, maybe a short miniseries that ties heavily into one 'family' of books in a universe, with a 'huge' event every two or three years. Spreading the big ones out would increase the impact when they do occur and, beyond that, it's hard for any individual title to make it's own direction if there's constantly some universe-wide event consuming issues.

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I recently read Identity Crisis and it's one of the best comics stories I've ever read. I haven't read Infinite Crisis but I am enjoying the One Year Later/52 idea.

As for crossovers I like them because so many writers are off doing their own thing these days in their own little corner in their own little title and characters you want to see interact never do. The thing I don't like is that it's all crossover miniseries these days. Let. the crossover happen in the actually titles. I know this still happens to some degree. But why should you have to collect a new mini and put more strain on your wallet when the story could be just as easily told in the main titles you are already collecting. Don't give us an X-Men Civil War mini for example, let that story unfold in the actually pages of Astonishing, Uncanny, (now adjectiveless) X-Men, and New (not to be confused with "Abjectiveless" and formerly known as Academy X) X-Men.

Civil War is probably one of the better crossovers from Marvel in a while but I trully haven't enjoyed a crossover from Marvel since Operation Zero Tolerance which should have led to a mutant civil war but didn't because of bad editiorial decisions.

I think Scantron sums up my feelings on crossovers better than I could in his last paragraph. Crossovers are a double edged sword. Done well, they tie the universe together and create a wonderful story full of continuity. Done badly the potential cost to your wallet and confusuion scares you away and messes up the universe for years to come.

10. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Don't forget we have the Onslaught Reborn thing coming up too.

11. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

call me insane I actually liked that stupid idea with franklin richards and his god powers....

onslougth was one of my favorite villans.posibly due cheer apearance though.

I like the civil war, crossovers are somthing that I enjoy,Ill admit that some are REALLY bad but when executed correctly they make me smile.

-and dont let me get started on supah boy prime-

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Im currently reading walking dead, ult x men, and invincible. if they release antman in trade then ill get it.

13. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

So far I'm liking Civil War a LOT more than I thought I would after House of ZZZZZZs put me to sleep. This actually feels like the realistically dysfunctional Marvel that Stan was doing in the beginning. Even the bit about Tony & Reed shooting the Hulk into space is perfectly in character for these guys. Planet Hulk has been a hoot. Probably the best ragtag collection of sci-fi characters since Negation's untimely demise. I can't wait to see Hulk come back.