Tired of eBay/paypal fees

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by UnicronHound, May 25, 2011.

1. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I just sold my Fort Max, he went for $510, with $17.60 for shipping, for a grand total of $527.60, take out paypal's fee of 15.60, and eBay's fee's of $1.58 for shipping, and $45.90 for the final value fee and I'm only getting $464.52. Which means they just tooked a whopping $63.08 in fees. I'm really getting tired of eBay's & Paypal's fees. I mean I could have parted Fort Max out on here and been able to be fee free for close to the same price as I sold it. Anyone else tired of the outrageous fees?

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I don't like the fees at all, but I really do figure that ebay gives you the widest audience, and therefore the highest possible price. even if you parted it out on here, you'd probably get people trying to haggle you down, and you may not sell all the pieces. on top of that, paypal would still get their fees, so I mean really, it's not so bad.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yeah, the fees suck massive balls, but this is true. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other, because stuff tends to go for less through the boards and more through eBay, so once the fees are deducted you probably come out even in terms of going rates. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but you also have to factor in the convenience of a guaranteed sale 99% of the time on eBay whereas you could be waiting several months to shift anything on here.

4. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

I hate the fees as much as anyone, but it's the cost of doing business...

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    It depends. Some items here go for real reasonable prices; But yeah, ebay and pp does cost a lot. the advantage to them is, you sell items faster there than on the boards.

6. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Don't wanna pay eBay's fees? Then... don't use eBay?

7. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yep you should have sold it here. I sold mine a couple of months back here for $550 shipped and buyer paid via Gift

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, but that paying as "gift" is shifty. I've never asked anyone to do that, and hate it when people say "pay as gift or pay an extra 3%."

9. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Gosh, we'd have never thought of that. Did you read the actual post or just the subject line?

10. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I could have bought that Fort max without you worrying on the fees x)

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Things will sell for a good price on the boards if it is a fairly hot or wanted item. Otherwise something will not sell for months even at a fair price. Just not as many people buying here as on ebay.

I use ebid and ebay. When using ebay i start the list price at the lowest i will accept plus fees. The listing may be unattractive but its the way to do it without eating such high fees yourself.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

That's why I've been trying to sell my figures here instead. Plus I'd thought I would give my friends first shot at them too. :) 

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Hmmm, now this I completely disagree with I'm afraid. Every single one of my many transactions with fellow board members - as a buyer and a seller - has been with funds sent as a 'gift'. Not one problem ever.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    There's no opinion about it - it's a recipe for impending disaster.

Do enough "gifting" and it WILL bite you in the ass sooner or later. Better to protect both parties and not do it.

15. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've been burned using the gift option by a member who had 100 ebay feedback and great feedback here. I would recommend never using that option unless its a person you trust 100%.

16. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Agreed. What's even worse/funnier is when someone puts in bold caps that they only accept gift payments and their sales thread consists of several $8 items.

I buy off of ebay occasionally when I find something at a cost I can actually agree with and the shipping charges aren't too outrageous.. otherwise I prefer to buy, sell and trade here which is a much better experience all around. Ebay sellers tend to think they're doing you a favor by selling you their over-priced everyday items. Armada Wheeljack should never under any circumstances be $69.99.. it's enough to put me off my lunch. What's with all the broken garbage on ebay lately too? $7 plus $5 shipping for a Mini-Con that's missing multiple parts.. $12 to feel like an ass.

Recently there was an Energon Dead End on Ebay for $35 plus shipping.

A member here was selling the same figure for $4

17. godbomber

godbomber Henkei != Hentai

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It has it faults, but its also a for profit service we choose to use. You can certainly post your sales lists on the fourms & such, and then have money orders mailed to you.

18. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess the high fees is one of the reasons I do not have a seller's account yet on ebay. Then again, I've yet to have another need to sell anything out of my personal collection. But.....I'm sure selling the stuff here would be better than ebay primarily due to all the posts I've read about ebay trolls who click the BIN button, but then don't pay.

19. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But with Paypals buyer bias, (admittedly not as bad as ebay itself) a buyer can turn around and claim item not received and try for a refund. OK with proper tracking the odds are slim, but no payment system is going to be perfect, even cash on delivery could end up being fake notes.

20. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I'm sorry but I am one of those people who tell the buyer if they use paypal they have to either send it as a gift or pay the 3%. I give them the option of using money orders, but most buyers now want to use paypal for protection. I don't see why I should have to pay for their fees so they can use the form of payment that they want to use. Also when I pay with paypal on the boards, I almost always pay for the fee, since as far as I am concerned, it the cost of using the paypal service. If you don't agree then don't buy from that seller. Also most of us put the fact the buyer will pay the fee in bold, because they seem shocked when I deny payment because they didn't pay the fee. It might not be a big deal for some lower payments, but when you get to $1000 plus, it gets expensive and I am losing money.