Tired after swimming? That may in fact be you DROWNING TO DEATH!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nkelsch, Jun 6, 2008.

1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110157.php
    Wow... This is scary, I had no idea. I am gonna be freaked out when hanging with younger kids swimming. Who would have thought?

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    :eek:  Wow, it's a wonder I'm still alive since I spent all my summertime swimming when I was a little kid.

3. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

In other news, "Dry Drowning" would be a good band name.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

See, it's right there.

It's little-known because it constitutes a tiny, tiny fraction of the whopping 3,600 drowning deaths a year. And that math is exactly why parents don't really need to be aware of it.

Who cares? Your kid is probably at more risk of dying from being a fat-ass if you keep him or her from swimming 'cause you're afraid of "dry drowning."

What happened to being worried about things that were actual threats?

5. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

"child carers"?

note to self: do not swim.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I always heard this called "parking lot drowning", and yeah, like squirrelcar said, its a very rare occurrence. And also doesn't occur because you swam, but because you experienced distress while swimming, and had water enter your lungs. So basically, it accompanies cases where people have nearly drowned in the pool, and then all the water already in their lungs causes problems a few hours later. So basically, if that happens, get checked out and don't just go "oh, Im out of the water, I'm fine" and walk off. Stay with the lifeguards or paramedics until THEY'RE sure you're ok.

But yeah, squirrelcar is also right in that we should have more important things to worry about than the SCOURGE OF DIHYDROUS MONOXIDE.

7. Deceptikitty

Think of the CHILDREN!!

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, I almost drowned when I was three. Not dry drowning though, it was a swimming hole created when an old iron-ore strip mine filled with rainwater. My uncle pulled me out.

Good times, good times.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I will just add that to the list of things that may kill me, if the thounsands of other things don't...

10. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yes, almost drowning is awesome...

..in a not so great kind of way.

11. Deceptikitty

It makes you more manly.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It made me feel like a tool.

13. Deceptikitty

That's what happens when you get manlier. ;) 

14. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I thought this was really sad news. It was all over the TV in my area. On a side note, I was wondering why the mother didn't think something was wrong with her son when he was having trouble breathing and was dizzy. You think she would have rushed him to a doctor instead of getting him to take a nap. Yeah, I know all that wasn't in the above report, but it was in the news here.

15. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But...

But...

IT WAS ON THE TODAY SHOW! :eek: 

I NEED TO BE AFRAID!!

*runs around in circles wringing hands*

Seriously, folks. This doesn't just HAPPEN after an uneventful trip to the ol' swimmin' hole. You've gotta take in a significant amount of water.

It's sad, but I'm guessing the kid was poorly supervised at the pool, and the parents were unaware that he got dunked (or whatever). A previously normal 10-year-old soiling himself and then acting extremely tired should set off some alarm neurons in the parental thinkin' unit. And if, additionally, he was having breathing issues and dizziness as Zero Prime's local news said... then, yeah -- naptime = BAD DAMN IDEA.

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was this really necessary? Talk about kicking a kid when he is down. Not only did he drown on land but one his last acts was crapping in his swim suit in the pool! Also did they need to point out the mother gave him a bath? Really? They could have said he took a bath and then took a nap and left out the part about mommy washing him. Again seems like they are just kicking the poor kid and trying to make him out to be a loser. Think about it. If you are ten-ish and you heard that a kid you know crapped his pants, had mommy wash him, AND that he drowned, not in water but while on dry land.. you'd probably make fun of him.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  17. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

so in other words, if a kid nearly drowns do i try to convince them to hang upside down for a good 5 minutes or so to make sure they cough up that water, or just annoy the emergency staff at the hospital?

decisions, decisions.....

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Must be a slow news day or something. Using a probably-outdated assumption that America has ~300 million people, approximately 0.0012% of people will drown in a given year (based on the 3600/year number) and the number that will be hit with this dry drowning is a small percentage of that. Yet this is something that requires time on the Today Show, various articles, a front page mention on MSN.com and people getting worked up about it? Just reminds me of John Stossel's books, where he talked about unusual, but virtually insignificant, threats getting massive news-time over more common, deadlier threats.

And, aside from that, the article's just not that well written. Leaving aside "carers", they didn't discuss the mechanism of dry drowning at all. I had to check wikipedia to find any info about that. Doesn't sound like it's a delayed reaction to water in the lungs, but edema caused by spasm of the larynx...not that wikipedia's the most reliable medical resource or anything, but better than that article.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is a prime example of the "BE AFRAID!!!11!!!" articles that are completely pointless, except to drive viewership.

20. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I used to live 20 minutes from Goose Creek. Crazy story.