Customs: Tips/Techique for Masking Around Very Weird Areas?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Agamus, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Starting a Gen. Nighbeat custom, and the trickiest thing at the moment is taping off the rear lights/knee details. I don't have the steadiest hands so last time I tried doing an indented detail like this "freehand" it didn't turn out the prettiest.

Are there any tips/tricks/techniques I should have up my sleeve for this, or is this just an area that I need to practice to get better at?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. King Glurch

King Glurch Damnit, Starscream!

YouTube:
    Which part is it you're trying to paint? Depending on what it is, I think you might be able to put tape on that part and cut the tape to fit using an x-acto knife.

3. Kickedbaq

Kickedbaq Well-Known Member

With a recessed area you will want to essentially, once you primer it, start at the bottom. Mask off the areas at the top and go to town. Be sure to clean the piece once you remove the tape. The residue left behind will be a pain. If you don't want to mask it off use as small a brush as you can find or a toothpick. It takes a little practice but if you start at the bottom you can paint over your mistakes as you work your way up.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I mask stuff off (after prep work), I burnish the tape into the recesses with the end of a paint brush or with an actual pen. This creates a hard line to cut out using an Xacto blade. The trick there is to cut gently and allow the edge of the area to guide the blade.
    Once the cut out area is removed, press the tape with your finger just to make sure the removed piece didn't pull up an edge, then paint what needs painted.

5. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    i heard once someone used silly putty to mask off areas like that actually though ive never tried it

6. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

I have had some luck masking awkward areas using a 3d pen (I Do 3D Go! -or- Cra Z Doodle). The "ink" comes out liquid(y) and hardens with UV light, so it is easy to control the shape it masks and it can run around corners. Then, as long as it was fully hardened, the "ink" can be pulled off after the paint has dried. It is wonderful for masking off round areas or divots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I used blue tak for masking sometimes. I wouldn't trust it for super crisp edges, but I've had good results otherwise.