tips on shipping tf's

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bossman328, Jan 21, 2012.

1. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am starting to trim down my collection for the first time. Got a quick question...What is the safest, most cost effective (cheapest) way to ship Transformers? I've seen people use USPS, UPS, FedEx...etc. What do you guys use? Why?

Thanks for your input

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Ship them to me! Best tip I can offer. :D 

I ship almost exclusively via USPS Priority service, with delivery confirmation. I seldom add insurance and I have never had a lost package.

I did have one package come back crushed like Ace Ventura delivered it, but at least it came back to me. I was able to fix the figure and get it back off to the recipient.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I almost exclusively ship via USPS. I think I tried shipping with UPS once, but it proved to be much too expensive for what I was trying to send out. USPS was comparatively cheaper.

4. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    For single figures USPS is the way to go. For big/heavy boxes I ship UPS.

5. bossman328

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks fellas!!

6. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Don't bother with FedEx or DHL. USPS is routinely cheaper for things up to the 2-3 pound range and above - beyond that, UPS is cheaper for bigger/heavier stuff. Handy rule of thumb: if USPS shipping is under $16, no one else will beat it. If the USPS quote is at $16 or above, check UPS. Transformers aren't dense, so you won't see a lot of situations where heavy stuff will fit in a flat-rate box (and DO NOT force it to go with minimal packing material). I've had UPS ignore the "Fragile - do not stack" stickers all the time, but their insurance up to $100 is included and I have never had to file a claim. USPS is much better int he package-handling department.

You can quickly estimate shipping on their respective websites - don't forget to account for the weight of the box and packing material. Don't forget that packing material like paper adds weight, so try to scavenge/buy things like bubble wrap or these things - they protect TF's a lot better and make the overall package lighter. We get a lot of deliveries at work, so I save the packing material from those that would normally be thrown away and use it when I ship.

7. bossman328

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice...thanks!!

8. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

When shipping by usps it's a good idea to always add delivery confirmation. That way you can track the package and have proof of delivery.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    my advice is if you have ever ordered anything from BBTS, use them as an example on how to pack stuff for shipment.

10. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use USPS print and ship labels from home....so convenient and cheap AND delivery confirmation is FREE with this method. I would also advise to almost never use the flat rate shipping boxes as I have had pretty big boxes that would never fit in flat rate boxes cost about $6....and thats priority with FREE DC. On top of all that, you save gas money and time....BIG win! The only downside is you need to get a scale to weigh your boxes, but you can get a food scale pretty cheap at target or walmart.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    transform them to robot mode, they're lighter that way...lol /j/k

for any international, make sure it's usps, ups will add a brokerage fee to it

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've only shipped one figure ups when I first started selling extras. Turns out I paid an excessive amount. USPS seems to be a lot cheaper and their first class prices are great (under 13oz packages). Always remember to get delivery confirmation!