Customs: Tips on prying glued pieces apart?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Agamus, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Trying to disassemble my TR Perceptor's scope so I can chrome-ify it but it's not budging. It's in a 91% isopropyl bath to remove the paint for prep right now, will that or anything else dissolve the glue? Best tool to avoid damage?

2. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    you could do one of two things, both of which i have done so i speak from experience:

1: depending on the part, take an x-acto knife and carefully cut the parts apart, then re-cement them once you're done painting

2: after the alcohol bath try carefully pulling the parts apart and if it doesn't work, re-soak it for alittle longer

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Thanks! It's probably going to soak overnight so I'll give the x-acto knife a go in the morning

4. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Okay so... Don't try this with this piece. After 12 hours it's hardly budged, and the lenses got melted by the alcohol.

[Edit: It's come apart and works fine now, chrome and all (just don't paint the ring on the inner telescoping piece, it'll stick). However I had to pop the melted lenses out and resoak the parts several times because they left residue in the alcohol. How does Cheetimus do it??]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017