Tips for shipping a collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Josh, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Hey guys

I've recently sold off a decent chunk of my collection [like around 140 figures or so]

Now that i've finished spending the day transforming all of these guys into modes that are the most compact and all that i'm onto the next, most difficult, part: packaging them up for shipping!

Ive packed one box but it seems like I barely even made a dent into this huge pile of TFs i have. I have a feeling that this is gonna take a ton of packages to ship these babies off.

Anybody got any tips?? I'm really dreading packing these things up. I worry about not packing them good enough or cramming too many into a box. I just dont wanna run the risk of breaking them. But i'd also like to get these out within the next decade :p 

More of a pain than I thought itd be lol

Cheers fellas!

2. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Well you could always go with the plastic lockable tote just use a zip tie instead of a lock... The totes usually run about $10-15 which is cheaper than buying boxes assuming that you don't have the boxes already and uses plastic baggies for the weapons and old newspaper as padding.

3. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Can you slap a shipping label on a plastic tote and send with usps ? or would you have to cover the box in paper ? Always wondered myself

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    No, you can't use a plastic tote as parcel...

My guess for why the won't allow would probably be sealing it safely?

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    when i was getting 'em ready to be packed i put them all in a couple rubbermade totes just so i know which ones were going

is it really possible to ship that kind of a thing?

and again. just shoving 100+ figures into a tote wouldnt be too big a problem if i was moving them domestically but shipping across the country? heh

6. Bruticon

News Credits:
    I've shipped plenty of plastic totes back when I was in the Army. USPS just tapes the crap out of label

7. Bruticon

News Credits:
    I wrapped each figure in newspaper and crumbled newspaper between each I was shipping from myself to myself when I was changing duty stations. Wouldn't risk my collection with moving companies... and yet I trusted USPS. They arrived fine tote was cracked though.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well, i do have a bunch of leftover boxes from things i've gotten shipped to me. some of them have wrap and all that and some dont.

i dont know how feasible a tote would really be. maybe i'll ask my local shipping place and see what they think

worse comes to worse i'll have to figure a way to shove all these toys in the boxes i do have :p 
    [guess ill need to go buy a couple newspapers lol]

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Keep in mind the package weights. While you may be able to ship a tote, the tote itself has quite a bit of weight.

I'd think the best thing to do is use packing bubbles or peanuts and a few boxes. :thumb 

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yeah. i have a feeling im gonna have to pay a bit in shipping either way so :p 

wonder if theres any discount for shipping multiple boxes xD

11. Bruticon

News Credits:
    I've never had to "wrap" any boxes just remove or black out any old shipping labels and you should be fine. Also to save a few bucks head down to your local newspaper print location and most will allow you to grab as many misprints as you want. It saves them on recycling fee.

12. Bruticon

News Credits:
    Yea my shipping for my tote was about $55 if I remember though that was back in 07 and I was shipping from Hawaii to Ohio

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yah might be more work than its worth for me :p  im not really up and about the same time as most places are open [the curse of the graveyard shift!]

spendin a couple bucks on newspaper is okay with me. plus we got a bunch of spare plastic bags and stuff from grocery stores lyin around

14. Bruticon

News Credits:
    LOL all righty then. Good luck with getting everything shipped.

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    haha yeah. i'm already 3 boxes in and i still have like 7/8ths of my pile to pack. ugh. lol

16. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    Don't forget you have options in how you send your boxes ... since you have things boxed up you know the weight and size of each box. Shop around to find the best shipping options and you'll save some money there. I ended up selling a decent size collection to BBTS and found FedEx Ground to be the cheapest method that also included tracking and insurance.

Also once you pack your boxes, shake them up a bit to see if/how things might have shifted in the box. Newspaper can be a decent packing material but only if utilized correctly. =)

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yeah ive been shakin' em pretty good to see if things shift and thunk around. so far its been alright

im like 7 boxes into packing now and i still got a decent sized pile to work through. im gonna need more i think lol

I been shipping through a local postal connections kinda place and they always let me hear the prices for all the different methods so ill be able to pick the best deal. its just getting em all packed up thats the pain in the drivetrain!

18. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go to Wal-Mart and you can get large boxes for free if you ask customer service, so long as you don't mind that they were previous product boxes. Most are nice enough to get you the biggest ones you need. I do this, then bubble wrap each figure individually to prevent breakage, since it doesn't really add any weight to the shipping total.

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Yah I been wrapping em individually with some old magazine pages I've found and padding the boxes with paper, bubblewrap, and whatever else I can find lol