Customs: Tips for Restoring Gold Chrome Paint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by CrystalFalls, Oct 22, 2007.

1. CrystalFalls

CrystalFalls New Member

I have a Soundwave reissue that I'm restoring, and its cassette door's gold chrome paint has worn off on one corner. Plus, I want to add gold chrome to the blue torso in places that the animation design had gold highlights (similar to reprolabels.com's upgrade set #6, but without using stickers).

http://www.reprolabels.com/Upgrades/upgrade6.asp

Do people have recommendations for matching, or getting close to matching, the original gold chrome paint on various Transformers? I searched this forum, but the forum's previous gold chrome threads discussed adding new gold chrome or leafing from scratch--as opposed to matching the existing gold chrome. Thanks for any help!

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The closest I have ever got to chrome is using silver Reaper Masters Paint, It has super fine flakes that make it really shiny. Then use a yellow ink to make it look gold. I used the silver on my protoform Primes chest, click my sig to take a look.

3. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

Forgive me if I am wrong but the chrome and gold parts are not necessarily paint but a plating process most commonly used by jewelers.
    Thin link here will take you to a system used for that process. However I think there are much more cheaper ways to do the same thing. This example was just the quickest to give you an answer. http://www.goldtouchinc.com/beakerplating/index.html

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes most people do know that chrome finishes cannot be painted as most things that are chrome are actually dipped into the chrome or baked on. A high pigment paint is the closest and cheapest to the real thing, I have seen a press on sort of chrome before but it was a long time ago and it did not look very good.

5. Wraithier

Wraithier Well-Known Member

bare metal foil makes a gold colored chrome foil that is really nice if you wind up just replacing the gold instead of trying to match it. That may be a way to go.