Tips for prolonging the life of toys with GPS

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimlock_13, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Hey all! I finally got one of my grials recently, G1 Monstructor. I know Bristleback and Slog are notorious for their gold plastic so I just want to find out if there's anything I can do to prolong their life as long as possible (I know there's no getting around GPS).

I want to take pictures for my photo archives of them in their individual modes, then get them combined and leave them there on display so I'm trying to not handle them more than I possibly have to. I'm not even going to attempt to get them into their shells, especially Bristleback.

I have toys with GPS already (G2 Electro, SWTF Chewie) so I know how bad it can get, I just wanted to get any helpful advice from anyone who had these two particular toys.

Thanks! :) 

2. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never, ever, touch them.

3. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. Someone needs to come up with a resin that can coat the gold sections of a figure so that they keep their form, but nothing like that exists as far as I know.

xZAOx is right, don't touch them and enjoy looking at them while they last. I last combined my Monstructor four years ago and haven't touched him since.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Slog is fairly safe as far as GPS toys go. none of his gold plastic is really stressed any of his modes.

Bristleback is another story. the fist being inserted into the slot in his legs can be just enough force to crack it. that happened to mine.

5. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, my Monstructor just sits there. I leave him be. Same with Black Zarak and all his parts. I have the roller guy he came with (can't remember his name), and he stays bagged, in the styrofoam. I'm afraid to even LOOK at it.

6. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Wow, a term I've never heard used in reference to toys before...I am taking it by GPS you don't mean Global Positioning System, so if anyone cares to educate those who don't know (me) it'd be appreciated.

7. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    After I take my pictures I'll barely make eye contact with it :lol 

I read that Bristleback could crack from combining it with the fist (I went through several wordings of that, all of which sounded dirty...) so I'll be sure to be careful there, as well as combining the lower torso with Slog.

Thanks everyone, I figured lack of use was the best route to take :) 

8. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Gold Plastic Syndrome...toys with swirly gold plastic tend to get brittle and crumble over time.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Gold Plastic Syndrome - Transformers Wiki

Its a horrible toy disease.

10. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    ^I was just coming back to post that link...it's a good read for collectors, even gives a list of the toys affected by it.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Plus it link to the youtube video of the dude crushing Randy as a demo. Such a horrific sight.

12. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Jeebus....I'd never noticed that link until now. That's pretty damned brutal.

13. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

I see the SW TF Millennium Falcon was on that list, had Chewbacca's leg joint just shatter while transforming him...that really turned me off to collecting any other SW TF figures.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, be careful when fisting your bristleback.

birdbrain doesn't even really come into contact with gold plastic on slog in any way that could damage it. the thing to be careful with there are the black plastic clips that lock onto birdbrain's head. mine broke really easily as a kid.

15. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Sweet, thanks for the info! :thumb 

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    One tip for handling gold plastic Transformers is to be very very very very gentle with them. Someone once told me they are effectively broken already. Handle them with a lighter touch, don't stress or force anything, even go as far as gently shaving off little bits of plastic in contact areas if you must.

Of all my GPS afflicted toys, I've only had one that ever broke. G1 Skyhammer's feet shattered years ago before I truly understood this issue.

The rest are all good - to a greater or lesser degree - but I do fear for them. These older toys are aging. My Pretender Monster shells feel a bit slimier now than they used to. Toys that were left in sunlight over 10 years ago are only now starting to yellow. Formerly fine joints have started to seize a little.

It's entirely possible, treated with proper care, attention and yes I'd say respect, that a toy known to suffer with GPS can be enjoyed more or less normally. But as time passes, these things are only going to get more and more brittle.

The ultimate final solution is to commission someone to repro the GPS affected parts in a different, similar coloured plastic and swap it out. I've heard of someone doing that for Black Zaraks.

17. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Thanks Sol, I really appreciate the reply. The next Grail I want to save up for is Liokaiser, which I know also has GPS issues with Killbison. I might try to get my hands on a Rescue Force KB just to have a backup plan in place just in case I get unlucky with it.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  19. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Dear Primus, that video is horrible. How could he do such a thing to a defenceless toy!

That's it, I'm calling the Toy Police!

20. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's too painful to watch......:cry