Tips for collecting on a budget?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    OK... so real life has set in. With the wife getting laid off and getting a job that pays 50% of her previous salary, our family hit the "B" word. Yup, budget. So me and the wife are on a budget now. No more, hey I want that, bought! So now I have to make rational decisions (ouch when it comes to TF collecting).

This is especially hard since I have 3rd Party tastes. I have Hercules and all the sudden I saw the Green Giant and thought, I want, I want, I want. Or I saw Cyclops and thought, I have to have. Then thought, I should collect the whole line!

So what advice do you have for me?

What I thought of is:

- Really ask myself, will I like that in the future, or am I buying that for a reason?
    aka: Prime line

- Whatever I do want, go with a store that I have to pay now to pre order. This way, if I want a TFer, it comes out of this months budget. This way, if 5 figures get released in one month, they are paid for already.

What else do you recommend?

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Just have to be more selective and less "I want it NOW!". For me at least.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think you have a good head on your shoulders because it sounds like you already know how to handle a budget.

Biggest thing I can suggest is to simply take out some money from each paycheck and put it aside for you and your wife's hobbies. Even if it's something small, $20, over a course of 2 months that could potentially be $80+. That's a 3rd party figure right there ... sometimes.

I've also got into the habit of letting go of figures I don't appreciate. I just sold some PCCs for like $30. That's money towards new toys.

Above all else, just be smart. You know your family is more important than toys. That's the bottom line for me and always has been.

4. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Number one tip that helped me was to just not go out on a random hunt even if you're not looking for anything because chances are you'll come home with some toys.

Also, just decide what toylines really appeal to you. I recently sold all my PRIME FE+PRID toys because I knew I wouldn't care for them after the show is done.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

This line of thinking is the best way to go. Impulse buying should stop and you should think things over more thoroughly before making a purchase.

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I think it's easy to buy on a budget nowadays because Hasbro decreased the price of their leader class line to $30. Also, the leader class line only has Prime and Bumblebee.

7. Outsider4Life

Outsider4Life Where R all the RI fans?

I'm in a similar situation. What I do is prioritize my wants. I set a monthly budget and I tend to not rush and buy general retail release figures as they can be bought later (ebay or 2nd hand)and most of the time cheaper than retail. What I do try and grab are the 3rd party figures that I like as you never know if the cost will go up or down( fansproject figures), usually preordering them from RK or if I am not 100% sure that I will want it I preorder with BBTS. I also am not a line completest, I only buy the figures that fit into my collection.

8. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

I just make sure to keep my money in multiple, discrete sources (my wallet, my account, and my coin jar), only ever spending money from one source at a time while diverting whatever is left to another one. Of course, I still get an allowance, and judging from what you said about being married, I think there's a considerable age gap between us-- my advice is probably of limited usefulness at best.

9. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First thing I would do is stop visiting the TFW front page and any other sites that are going to post news about new stuff. If your circle of friends is like mine you'll still know about all the news because they'll ask you if you saw x, y or z. So you'll still be in the loop but not have the daily temptation.

Trade or sell your old stuff to fund your new purchases. Get a paypal debit card to pay for toys in store. And as usual if you don't have money in the account you don't buy it.

If you can make enough selling your old stuff then maybe you won't have to make the tough decisions, but if that doesn't work you have to decide what you are collecting and only collect that. My friend does character collections so if it's not one of the 4 or 5 characters then he doesn't buy it. A lot of people only collect Classics type figures.

Aside from that I would only come to TF sites to visit the B/S/T areas to find bargains and sell your stuff.

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Only buy what yu really want and that has to be a reasonable price. Find as many clearanced items or deals you can. Budget and completistism do not go hand and hand either.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Similar situation here, this is what Ive done:

Cut my storage unit in half to a smaller size

Im trying to focus more on exclusives, stay away from regular retail only if its a figure I reall, really like.

Starting to sell some of my older stuff that I have buyers remorse on

12. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Same here! I put myself onto a budget a while ago when I realized that I purchased quite a few things that I didn't really care about (most movie toys).

- Family first!! This goes without saying.

- Fund my new purchases by selling old items and keep the funds separate...I had some 3rd party items that I had no fond connection to. I sold them and made enough money to buy MP-10 Hasbro Prime and US MP Thundercracker when they come out. I got rid of toys that I don't care about and made plans to buy those that I *DO* care about. That rolls into my next tip:

- Decide what's really important toywise...new things that come out, you'll most likely have no problem getting them in a few months or even a year. Prioritize! What's going to be there in 6 months and what's going to be major $$$ on ebay? What's getting a limited release?

- Get rid of the "now now now" attitude. That speaks for itself. I've saved so much money doing this.

- You don't have to have em' all, despite what you may feel. Toys that I thought I *HAD* to have ended up sitting in my closet in storage.

- GREAT TIP UP ABOVE! Don't go random-store hunting...saves $$$ and saves gas.

13. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Lol, I'm in the same boat. I'm going back to college full time and due to my programs demanding nature, I had to quit my job entirely. So now I'm out 55k a year and my wife is going to be supporting me. I can tell u the conversation that goes "hey babe, I know we're on a budget now, but MP sound wave is comming out, can I get 200 bucks?" is not gonna end well. I decided for now on I will only be buying tru released mp's (no more fancy Takara ones) and I'll hunt the boards and ebay for super cheap g1's (luckily the only ones I need are mini bots). That means NOTHING else Teansformers related.

14. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    The bee swarm helps.

I limit my trips to target Walmart etc to once a week. Also I hold off until.last minute for eBay items.

Each week, I take $100 of my paycheck and put it in a savings account. I never touch it. So I recommend doing that. By months end you have $400 in the bank. That $400 or 800 if include wrestling income can pay some bills. If you can live off the remainder you should be good.

Personally I wh*re overtime when I can. Maybe limit yourself to only buying when you get holiday pay. Or perhaps say to yourself your only getting such and suchs team.

15. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Ancient Alien Theorist

Ebay:
    Try shopgoodwill.com and craigslist.com. On those (2) sites you will find a lot of "lots" of multiple figures that you can get on consignment. Try also your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other Thrift stores....

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    develop an eye for bargains when it comes to your purchasing.

17. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

how often do u guys buy? daily? weekly?

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Sounds like most of the main topics have been hit upon:

• Learn to let things go, esp if you're into 3rd party stuff.
    • Become very selective about what figures you want to get
    • Once all the bills are paid, set a small portion of whats left over aside for TFs, but ONLY after you've set aside money for a rainy day fund.
    • Sell off any figures that you don't want any more and let that money fuel future TF purchases (unless needed for real life things).
    • Become a bargain hunter, love stores like Ross/Marshals/TJ Maxx
    • Master Zen like patience, this will allow you to wait for mainline items that will likely end up at discount stores, and not pay insane prices for figures that Hasbro is just going to release again anyways.

19. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't buy anything in the same day.
    If I saw something cool to buy, wait at least for a week before buy. This give time to think about.
    Of course, if you're waiting for something and have the money reserved, you can buy at same day (e.g.: Botcon or TFCC releases).

Usually when I broke this rule I spend money that I need later and with figures that didn't fit well on my collection.

20. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    A lot of buyers, buy stuff just to complete their lines/collections even if they think the figure is crap or just meh. If you can resist that and only buy what you REALLY like, you'll be saving a large pile of cash just there. It's what I do, QUALITY vs QUANTITY.