Customs: Tips for a first time Radicon

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TfAnimatedfan, Aug 1, 2009.

1. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Hi guys, I'm new to the customs and I wanted to get your opinions on my idea for my first repaint. I was planning on repainting ROTF Scalpel into a ROTF version of Perceptor. I wanted to use Testors Paints(are they any good). I could use some tips from ANYONE who has painted Scalpel. Just please give this first time Radicon some tips on customize What brands of brushes/Paints/thinners should I buy an how can I go about changing Scalpel's Decepticon symbol into an Autobot symbol ? I would like to hand paint it, not spray paint it.

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Would you mind clarifying which Testors paints you're using? Model Masters Enamel, Acryl, etc.? I can personally say i quite like Model Masters Enamel. As for brushes, i really have no idea. I personally use paintbrushes made by Delta, but that's mainly because i can't find anything else good. e sure to get some thinner, or you'll never get any enamel paint off your brush.

I'm afraid i haven't actually painted Scalpel, but the same techniques should apply. For the symbol, ist it just painted on, or is it physically sculpted on? If it's just painted, should be a breeze, just paint over, and get some reprolabels. If it's sculpted in the outline of the symbol, i can only think of sanding it down till it's flush with the rest of the part, then add a reprolabel, though some of the pros round here could probably find a better way.

At any rate, why not check out the tutorials section, using the links bar to the right? Good luck.

3. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    As mentioned, definitely check out the radicons tutorials section. I would also recommend starting off with a figure that you don't really care about and do a lot of testing. I have a few tf's that I keep just for that reason just to test brush strokes, thinned or unthinned, different paint colors/types, different sanding breakdowns, etc.

Also you are going to make some mistakes at first which is why I recommend doing an I DONT CARE project before you do the one you really want. Last thing is look around in the customs forum and if you see something you like, ask the artist how they did X feature or what paints/techniques they use because we all seem to do it just a little bit different than the next radicon. GOOD LUCK

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Yeah, Wingsbr is right. Start off by practicing on a figure you don't want/need/care about. That way, you can practice first, giving you a better first custom. I have my Sunstreaker and minicon set, Wingsbr has his tf's, and most other people around here would probably have a few tf's lying around they used for tests like us.

And also, again i have to agree with Wingsbr. Don't be afraid to ask people on how they did their builds. I recently asked _________ on how to build an animated menasor, and i got a reply very quickly. Most people around here are very willing to help out a beginner (if you don't mind me calling you that). Just ask around if you see something you want more info on. Of course, that includes me, although i'm sure some of the pros will be of more help.

If it helps at all, i hear lots of people read the tutorials on Jin's site to start off with, including me.

5. TfAnimatedfan

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips so far. How small do the clear Autobot symbols from reprolabels get ? Are they small enough to fit on Scalpel's chest ?

6. TfAnimatedfan

News Credits:
    Okay, change of plans !!! I'm going to be putting detail on ROTF Wheelie
    here are some pics of my Paints and stuff...

The paint is Enamel...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]