Tip for US ebay sellers shipping to Canada

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

STOP MAKING USPS Express Mail the only option for shipping!!! Or even USPS Priority. Why not give options of all 3 of USPS First Class, Priority, and Express? There is a HUGE price difference between first class and priority and another fair gap moving up to express. As far as I know the only difference in the services is the time it takes to get to the buyer, and a lot of buyers would take $7 for an item to get to them in 5 days over $30 + to get there in 2 days.

If you provide options or at least not just the most expensive charge (most sellers seem ignorant of this, they don't care about what service or what options they are providing), you will attract far more and far higher bids from Canadian buyers, who often look to the US for vintage stuff or new US only releases because canadian listings suck for them. I don't even bid on auctions that have express only even if I like the item, I just pass on by and don't even at to my watching list. At the very least, I figure the total I am willing to bid as including the shipping price, so some grade 1 math: If I decide I will bid $60 on something and Express shipping is $30, then I will only bid $30 on the item itself, but if it's First Class at $6, I will bid $54 on the item itself. Which of these is better for the seller? I mean, think of this scenerio: a potential buyer from Canada wants to get alt Ravage 2.0 (say when it was still readily available in the US). They know they can get it on ebay for a couple of bucks over US retail, so aren't looking to spend double or triple the toy's retail value. The buyer finds a couple of alt ravages on ebay. He sees that he can score one for $25-30. Seller A is charging for USPS Express Mail and thus the shipping charge is $30 (or Priority and $20). This takes a $25 purchase and turns it into a $55 purchase. "Ridiculous" says the buyer. Seller B however is charging for USPS First Class and the charge is $6. That puts the total to $31, "not a bad deal" says the buyer, "I'll never buy off those other sellers unless I buy a super mint vintage G1 in box and want it here super quick". Don't bash this example because that happened to me (with alt ravage) a few months ago.

I know some might say "well who cares some next guy will still pay whatever shipping", but isn't the point of ebay selling to get as many people bidding as possible and to build repeat bidders? The USA sellers component of my favourite sellers is very quickly becoming directly in line with who sells using First Class or offers choice of the 3 to the buyer.

Here's a seller only offering express btw (might not be able to see it unless on ebay.ca):
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:ca

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Prior to US postage rate changed back in March (or May?) EMS was the only service providing tracking. Since then International Priority has tracking available.

I only ship with tracking now after a package vanished going about 60 miles north to Vancouver. All the buyer had to do was make the Paypal claim and, even with a scanned receipt and customs number, Paypal instantly awarded the refund. I'm out my item and money. Unfortunately for me Paypal was right in doing so as Its in the ToS which I wasn't following.

If Int'l First Class provided tracking, I'm sure few sellers would have problems offering it and would prefer it since cheaper shipping always attracts higher bids. After being ripped off (I don't believe the package was lost) I just want to play it safe.

I assume other sellers are wary of this tracking problem or have suffered from it directly. Some sellers may still be unaware that Priority is trackable, thus only offering EMS. Surprisingly, I've had inform 2 postal clerks of of the change too.

I suggest emailing the seller if they only offer EMS or Priority. I would consider making concessions for an apparently trustworthy buyer with high and (nearly) 100% positive feedback, especially if they are a board member here. Other sellers may offer options as well depending on who's asking.

3. P. Smitty

P. Smitty Active Member

While I certainly agree with the original poster on this issue (I have been burned as a Canadian buyer a few times by ridiculous shipping charges) I can also see the US Seller's POV as well. It really comes down to communication and striking a balance between security and saleability. What really get my goat is when sellers in the USA refuse to accept payapl from Canadian buyers because of the situation described above. And when it is not accepted of international buyers (but is with domestic) it's usually buried in some super-long small text paragraph of other stuff that doesn't apply to me.

Now yes, I know that it's my responsiblity as the buyer to read every word of the listing, I have found after being burned this way before that I just pass on auctions with a lot of extra "terms and conditions" - but that usually includes a lot of high-inventory sellers.

Yah, it probably sounds like a lot of pointless whining, but sometimes it sucks to be a Canadian buyer on ebay.

4. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    My only tip for people sending to Canada is (sorry for the caps)

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING TO CANADA BY DHL!!!!!!!!!

DHL will not leave parcels at the door, so you have to be there or else it goes to the depo. DHL depo outlets are in the weirdest places in Canada, in my province, I have to drive 2 hours outside where I live (the Capital City) to a small town to pick up my package. The other alternative is take a day off work and camp by the front door with a bed pan and a gameboy in fear of missing the delivery.

5. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    In addition to beatrush's comment:

Never send any package to Canada with any other service than USPS. Any courier type company pretty much does the same thing as DHL (as described above) as well as courier company always have to charge brokerage fees. I have only once had to pay brokerage when a package was sent via USPS and it was quite reasonable. Whereas via UPS, I've had to pay double the original value of the shipped item just in brokerage fees just to get the item.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

yeah agreed, I've never had to pay customs/duties on usps shipped items.

7. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    *edit: oh wait, I mean:

Oh hail the great admins, I make offering of ... uh... internet cookies and uh.. um.. free pics of me or something...

I humbly request the following:

Can we have this thread stickied somewhere?

8. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I could write a book on this....but how 'bout this instead......

I will not buy anything from any seller unless the cheapest shipping is offered.
    I see countless auctions for Alternators/Classics where the U.S. seller has shipping @$15.00 - $50.00, Every Alt. I've ever bought from the states was charged between $6.00-$7.00 from USPS.....so I will wait.....and wait...until I find that one seller.

...... as long as they do not use UPS.