Customs: Tinting alt windows

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by GigatronSama, Oct 7, 2005.

1. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

As a side project to my alt motormaster I also created an alt starscream using sideswipe. This was a fairly simple modification. I just repainted the chest a little and did some cutting and painting on the head (he already looks a lot like G1 screamer so it was a simple modification)

I also added a spoiler (courtesy of the many leftover parts from the smokescreen I used to make motormaster) and repainted the chest just a bit. Aside from slapping on a con logo he's not much different.

But since he has a large exposed car window on his abdomen I thought it would be cool to tint it yellow in homage to G1 starscream. Any ideas on how to pull this off?

Dying seems a bit drastic so I'm thinking of looking for translucent paint or some sort of decal. Ideally I'd apply either to the back of the window so it wouldn't interfere with any external details.

any suggestions?

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Transparent paint would work best, but it has to be sprayed on, or it'll be uneven.

3. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    If you get a top coat enamal paint, paint it on, then hold it to a hot lamp, the paint will even out nicely and create a window tinting. another method os going to Loomis (canadian craft store) and finding translucent window plastic. that'll do the trick too. Both methods are perminant.

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    IF you are looking at painting it, I recommend Tamaya Translucent paint. They work wonders and com ein a ton of colors.

5. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

translucant green paint worked well on my energon megs sword

6. Acadian Prime

Acadian Prime Well-Known Member

I used real automotive window tint on my G1 reissue Optimus Prime. Try going to local detail shops and ask them if they have leftover scraps of window tint. It can be a little tricky getting on with no air bubbles, but the end result is worth it if it's done right.