Tinny flaws annoy you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Jun 2, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I was messing with my Sentinel toy and noticed he has a small lack of paint on his forehead, it´s barely visible unless you look at his head up close. Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doens´t, but I think from time to time I get a bit pecky and annoyed by these insignificant flaws.

What about you guys?

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do, it takes a lot of willpower to overcome my OCD at these flaws. Tiny things nag at the back of my head, such as having a right shoulder joint be looser than a left shoulder joint (They must be the same!).

3. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Bugs the crap out of me...

4. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Yes.

Even the smallest problem in a figure bugs me to no end within the first week or so of purchase. Like today, I got DotM Megatron and he already had stress marks around the grey tabs on his hood with little (and I mean tiny) nicks in the paint on his chest. Not to mention that when I transformed his feet a small stress mark appeared around the pin joint (hate pin joints) in his ankle even though I'm as gentle with Transformers as a lamb. >_>

These problems shouldn't really mean anything, nothing "broke", I don't imagine I'll have to take him back like Crankcase (his wrist pin joint (haaate pin joints) was split open right off the card) and it's a neat version of a cool character, but anytime a small flaw like the ones for Megs appears in my toys it drastically dampens my attitude towards it for a while.

So as far as small flaws bothering me, yeah, they do. >_<

Have I mentioned I hate pin joints?

(No real need for the counter of "If that's the worst thing that happens to you then X." I'm aware of that, and try to keep things in perspective).

5. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Amazing, I HATE pin joints too! They feel unnatural, causes stress marks, etc. If I had my way, all my toys would be filled with ratcheting joints, or at the very least, ball joints with Future Floor Polish handy.

This obsession sometimes causes me to be willing to sacrifice articulation simply for stability.

6. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

ROTF Bludgeon has a tiny paint chip on his forehead, and a small portion of BB Bumblebee's front bummer is unpainted. Both aren't noticeable from a distence, but me knowing they're there is bugging me to no end.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Ugg I know. There's just something about pin joints that removes most of our self projected manliness, and that's pretty hard to live with.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Loose joints..right out of the package.

Nothing causes more rage and disgust.

9. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    That always bugged me about my Bat Primal. However, that seemed to change after he spent a few years in a box, so now he's all good. Well that, and the fact that I found a magic pose that looks awesome AND somehow doesn't let him fall down doesn't hurt either.

10. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

and pin joints. Drives me nuts.

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Naggers, too.

12. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Total agreement about the use of different types of joints.

*Group brofist for all the pin joint hatred in here so quickly*

With DotM moving in to the realm of even smaller figures that use roughly the same size pins I'm seeing lots more MIB flaws around than I used to since they seem to be putting less plastic "buffer" around the joints. Though tbh the pin joint situation has been getting progressively worse for me since the HftD wave with Terradive (such a cool figure, with massive pin joint warps and stresses hidden all through the main body, and his buddy Hailstorm/that blue repaint guy whose feet will all eventually fall off :rip ).

It seems like DotM has a lot more plastic fleshing (is that the proper term for those little flat bits of plastic and white areas where the plastic was clipped from the mold?) problems than any other line that I can remember. While it's not half as major as stress marks they do kind of bug me as well. :thumbdown 

One person I talked too about this brought up an interesting point though, they said that it sounded like it was "future based thinking" instead of present based thinking. Their reasoning was that being worried about small damage and problems now is caused by the knowledge/fear that it will become big damage and problems later, as opposed to living in the moment and just playing with it till it breaks (if it does). Seemed like sound reasoning to my ears, any thoughts?

13. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Little nicks on toys annoy me. My most recent annoyance is Cyberverse Sentinel Prime. Love the figure but his left arm is loose and he has a hell of a time holding up his shield. I usually have to try and position it so the piece sticking out at his elbow catches on his shoulder pads to prevent it from falling.

Any suggestions on tightening this up a bit?

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It does sound a little echoey in here

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It . . . really takes a LOT to bother me this much with a lot of things.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

No. No they don't. Not one single toy will ever be 100% perfect coming from a production run of tens of thousands. And I understand that.

What does bother me are aspects from the designs process that fail in its execution. Perfect example being Universe Hot Shot's shoulder spoiler compromising the figure's articulation. Something like that should've been seen from the prototype, or at the very least the CAD mock-ups. Shouldn't have even made it past the Test Shot. But somehow we have the issue with all of our Universe Hot Shots/Henkei Hot Rods.

17. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    Um...add me to the OCD list.

Lets see, recently my new Sunburst prime weapon broke when not even using any force. I'm just going to buy another. It displays just fine but knowing that its broken will drive me nuts.

I will usually nitpick through each specimen, just finding the perfect paint apps. Or at least the best, when shopping in store.

Don't EVEN get me started on stickers!

18. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dust/dirt on figures whenever I do a trade or eBay. Pisses me off to have to clean something that I bought as in "great shape, etcetera" just because the pictures were taken at a distance and couldn't be viewed in detail.

19. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Seems reasonable, though I think this kind of worrying for the future seems to be the essence of being a collector. However, as of late I try to stop worrying about the future, because it was really affecting my enjoyment of my toys a while back.

Oh yes, I'd line them all up and choose the "best" (since most are identical). Sometimes I'm even relieved that there's only one figure available, saves me the trouble of spending such a long time comparing every nook and cranny.

This too! When I get a toy with stickers, I always ask myself, will I be able to survive without the toy's stickers? Quite a few times I've let go of a good deal because the figure had irreplaceable stickers.

20. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I'm annoyed on the silver paint on my rotf leader optimus's nose and the uneven gold on Sentinels shoulders