Time Warner brings about the end of Freedom

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Time Warner Cable Expands Internet Usage Pricing - BusinessWeek

Imagine how this will affect Microsoft and Sony's Video download plans, especially MS who just made a very nice deal with Netflix. Now, in order to download movies, you'll pay your monthly fee to Netflix, but you also have to keep an eye on how big the movies are because you could end up with a 200 dollar internet bill.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Since this was first discussed, I've thought it was a BS move. Everything keeps getting larger, which is why HDDs have to keep dramatically expanding as well. I hate where this is going, but at least I'm not on TW, but at the same time other companies will follow suit if they aren't hurt by it.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    As long as tiered Internet Service Plans exist, downloads will never supplant physical media. If you are using Time Warner, then cancel your service. Immediately. Tell them why, even if you're not part of the tiered service yet. You have to be willing to move onto another service provider, even if it means a speed hit. Otherwise more and more companies will begin to impose these types of rates.

4. J.H.N

J.H.N the HARSH one

and thats why I am glad I droped time warner and got ATT U-Verse.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have Grande Com. because my apartment forced them on me, but now, when I move, I am not going back to TW. I was thinking the same thing. I thought MS's Netflix deal was really cool and convenient, but now you have to keep your eyes on how many moves you download. TW could singlehandedly kill the progression of downloadable ccontent even coming close to being accepted

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I used to work for Time Warner, and currently work for a company that broke off of them. I think this is a horrendous idea and fully support leaving them in order to teach them a message. Since my company works closely with TW and often follows suit in what they do, if we adopt this policy, I can see it leading to problems between me and my job, as I'm not sure I could keep my mouth shut in disapproving of it.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It just occured to me.... What would they do about Business accounts? (ie businesses with hundreds of employees using the net). For example, I send daily video samples to clients, receive audio clips, music. By their Gig standards, the company would go broke paying for internet.

And MMOR people will find themselves with potential $500 bills. I wonder how many gigs per month a WOW account, with maybe an 8 hour/day playtime incurs.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think this is going to hurt TW in the long run. I can't see them keeping their market share in any market that has multiple providers.

9. GogDog

News Credits:
    I'm certain business accounts would see little to no change. They already pay more anyway. In fact, many residential customers might flock to business accounts if possible.

10. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Grr...if they bring this to TW-NYC I may have to take a look at Verizon Fios...

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I also like how they used Beaumont as their test location.
    No offense to anyone in Beaumont, but I am sure their downloading habits are not exactly the same as Dallas, New York, or other markets.

Dude, if you can get FIOS, you should get FIOS.
    It's absolutely the best-in-class as far as I'm concerned.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So is it just me, or do you guys seriously think this is going to crash in their face? I mean even people who stick around and don't really know how much internet they truly use will end up going over, not being able to afford the bill, getting their service turned off and then move onto someone else.

FTP sites, video stream sites... all that stuff is going to lose a lot of clickers.

13. GogDog

News Credits:
    I WANT it to, but if everyone does it, 1) there is no other option and 2) it equals more money for all the ISPs.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I was worried about the same thing... for every ISP to band together and do this....

My theory though is that it's easier to keep track of minutes on a phone than of megabytes (hell even checking your megs on the TW site may put you over the limit), and emails have almost become like water, as is looking at Youtube, sending photos to family and friends... So eventually the dam will break. People will overuse out of the comfort that has built over the last decade of unlimited internet. Overuse will yield ridiculous bills, and if people can't afford it, they will be diconnected, so in a way, they may force customers to not have internet and none of them will have customers... It's easier is they had just been this way from the start, the way AOL was with dialup and time... For the last decade people have used internet without thinking about how much they were using it... It will crash on them, even if they all band together and do it.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll be real, I'm not technically inclined...but do people who download more cost the providers more?

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I ask the same... does it actually cost them for us to be doing this unlimited, or did someone just come up with a hairbrained scheme to make more money?

17. GogDog

News Credits:
    Not really. Most of the ISPs have gentleman's agreements that say that we are all using each others networks, so we won't charge each other.

They are mostly claiming that the cost for upgrading the infrastructure is killing them, which is wholly not true. The infrastructure is already in place and they are making more than enough to net good profits even after upgrading the cards and routers that control speed.

Just look at the Asian countries. The average citizen in Japan has 80 Mbps download speeds. The average American has like 5 Mbps. The other countries' ISPs aren't having all these "financial problems" that ours claim to have.

This image is older than the one I was searching for, but it still stands. Every year the US is slipping behind other countries in both "percentage of citizens with broadband access" and "average bandwidth speed per broadband customer" and we have our greedy ISPs, more specifically the ones like AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon who own and operate the infrastructure, to thank for it. Not only do they refuse to upgrade our networks to remain competitive with the rest of the world, they want to charge us more and more every year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  18. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I don't like this at all. It's a really, really bad move and to do it now when the economy is at it's lowest point in decades is the straw that broke the camel's back.

If I was a TW customer, I'd actually cancel my service and move onto another company. (and when that company pulls the same thing, I'd move again.) If need be, I'd go without internet altogether (I'd just pay a visit to the library) just to screw 'em.

I don't download, but I do stream Netflix and I'm already paying to do that, I don't want to pay my cable company to do that too. WTF?

I have to give Comcast credit, at least they'll have the decency to kill your service, rather than allow you to accrue a massive $200-500.00 a month bill like TW would. Sure, it would suck to have your service terminated like that, but seriously...this is getting ridiculous.

What good is the internet if you can't use it?

19. GogDog

News Credits:
    That's the thing: you can't. Usually there are only three options when it comes to the internet: cable, DSL, and dial-up. Sure, you can stick it to the cable company by canceling and moving to DSL, but now you have substantially slower speeds in most cases. If your DSL provider does the same thing, you have nowhere to go but dial-up (except maybe satellite, but it's WAY too expensive).

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But I wonder if that would affect 3G networks... like those that you can attach to your laptop via a USB adapter from ATT, Verizon etc etc