Time Travel thought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Aug 12, 2008.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We've heard the argument about "If time travel is possible, why haven't we met anyone from the future." before. Well I heard somewhere that a scientist (IIRC) theorized that if Time Travel was possible it would only go as far back as the invention of the time machine. I think that doesn't make much sense. If there was indeed a time machine it should go as far back as anyone wants. I have a theory about why no one has met anyone from the future.

I ask, what is this biggest problem with time travel in TV and movies? Changing the past in such a way that the future is completely screwed up. Go back in time and your parents may never meet and thus you are never born. Then you were never alive to go back in time and preventing your parents from meeting thus creating a paradox.

I think time travel IF possible would be made paradox free. Think of it like being on ST:TNG's holodeck, yet none of the holograms can see/touch/hear/smell/taste you. You can walk around and take pictures of everything and study the people, but you are in all sense undetectable to them. This prevents you from tampering with the past. You could go see the fall of Rome, go see and hear the Gettysburg Address, ride on Titanic, etc. You could solve any of history's great mysteries, but you can't prevent any of the disasters.

This solves the problem of never meeting a time traveler. They are existing just outside of our time, watching us.

What are your thoughts?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like you're thing about holograms. Makes sense all things considering, and that would kinda make more sense than sending an actual person back.

3. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Nah. Time travel is just impossible.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think the best you can do is go forward in time using time dilation.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yep.

besides, a Delorian is getting harder to come by these days...:wink: 

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's a dodge to explain something we can't practically understand, and it requires even more explanation than the already difficult question of whether time travel is possible and if so, how.

Also, there's that pesky scientific principle that dictates that any observation of a system changes it. I understand that one could that can't apply to events that are already set...but like time travel, I don't think anyone can know that.

And you, sir, are no distinguished but elderly scientist.

Still, I love when people say something is impossible. Makes me hope that someone reads it here and this very board, takes you up on that challenge, and proves you wrong.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why would a time traveler come back to this era anyway? We keep pretty good records of what's going on, and it's not always all that nice. I'd probably go back and observe some period where history is a little shaky, just to clear up the facts, rather than a place where even the most minuscule of events is posted on YouTube.

8. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

there are many ways that you can go back in time and not mess with your past

you can only go back in time as far back as the exact moment when you were born

or you can travel back in time into yourself at a younger age

there are others that i cant think of now

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Can someone explain the theory of how to go back in time anyways? It isn't like a computer since the computer's history is saved/recorded in pictures and videos and maybe simulations, but there's no way that the history before modern technology was saved/recorded other than writing

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

That's a selfish way to think of it, might not change your past but it still changes the past, even if it's slightly. Might not be "I fucked up real bad" but still a change

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Must...phrase...diplomatically...

Okay, here goes: please, please read your post carefully and consider the specifics of what you're saying. Then, maybe come back and edit it. Just a suggestion.

12. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I think if you were to go back in time the moment your time machine appeared you would be in a alternate universe/timeline becuse you have changed the past just by being there.
    You could go kill your mom father self and it not affect you becuse the timeline/universe you are from that never happend, the real problum would be coming back to a future that's not your own, one would hope this time machine would be able to lock on to your home timeline/universe and return you there, then you could do all kinds of things in the past and not have it affect your future, this also would explane why no one has seen a time traveler.

13. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

When you got there, at the moment you were born, would you still be an adult time traveler?

14. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

uh

which way are you talking about?

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's like watching my cat play with a chipmunk.

Oh, it's okay, he's just pla--woah! Didn't see that coming, didja, chipmunk?

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

That one.

17. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Sorry guys to tell you this. But somethings are, and ALWAYS will be, SCIENCE FICTION.

18. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

you will be the same age you are when you travel back

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Oddly enough I had an odd dream about time travel a few weeks ago.

IN the dream this guy down the street from me had two identical dogs, but one was older than the other. I sat and watched how both of the dogs followed him around and reacted to him like they both recognized him.

I started to puzzle about this, then I was suddenly reading a newspaper with a picture of the guy and his two dogs with the headline, "How do I temporal paradox".

Again, I was watching the man and his two dogs when I realized he had invented a time machine and went back in time and got his dog when it was younger.

Logic kicked in and I started thinking that that wouldn't be possible because when he returned to the present with his younger dog it would no longer exist because he went back in time and got it.

So then I start thinking he must have taken the present dog back in time at some point in the future so that he would have two dogs, but only up until the point in time where he took the present dog back in time, but at that point he'd have two dogs, one from the present that would be taken to the past and one that had already been taken to the past at some point in the future.

This is when I woke up...

20. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Let's say it's not impossible. It's so improbable that it's practically impossible. Like 1/(((100)^100)^100)1/ It's probably flatout impossible.