Time to sell off the collection? Just wanted some opinions.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DeathStorm, Apr 21, 2009.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    So I've been collecting since 1999 and, over the years, have cut back my collection from everything I could get my hands on to just G1. I have almost everything I want. The problem is, I just don't care about getting the remaining figures to give me a complete 84-86 collection (there's about 5 or so left). I haven't bought anything new and I've cancelled all of my pre-orders on BBTS. I just don't care.

I'm just thinking it might be that time - sell off the whole collection and be done. My interests seem to be elsewhere (I don't even visit this site that much anymore) and I don't care for any of the new lines that have been coming out (with the exception of Encore, but even most of those are toys I already have originals of).

Has anyone else been in a "slump" like this? Maybe sold everything and ended up regretting it?

2. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

If you just don't care then sell all but maybe O.P.

Sell them for good money and invest in something you do like. No point in collecting for one-up-manship or without interest. The Hobby isn't going to die, so get out now and comeback when you are in to Transformers again.

3. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I did this with my G.I. Joe collection about a year ago. My advise, if you're just not that into it right now is maybe just put your things in storage. It's inevitable that as soon as you get rid of your hard earned collection that a few weeks or months will pass and something will rekindle your interest in them. I a very depressing feeling when you've sunk a lot of time and money into something, sell it, and then sit around & wish you still had them. Best thing to do is to store them for a while, and if your interest doesn't come back 6 months or a year from now then sell them; if it does come back then you just saved yourself a lot of trouble and heartache. Think of the time & $ you'll spend trying to get your collection back & trust me it will never be as good as what you already have. I tried to re-get my Joe collection and it never was able to measure up to the one I used to have.

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sell, to me :) 

5. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    That may be an idea. I have tons of shelving in my basement (currently where I store, coincidentally, all the boxes for my toys) and it wouldn't be too difficult to pack them up.

You already look like you have enough :thumbs2: 

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Never get rid of anything that has sentimental value unless there is a really good reason. You will regret it.

7. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Yea, I wish I would have listened to that advice when it was given to me :/ I'm just glad it wasn't my TFs I made that mistake with.

8. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that you should keep some of your favorites. I have gotten rid of my collection before and ended up buying them again. I wish I had just packed them away for while.

9. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I agree with the idea of keeping them in storage. If you feel the same way in another few years, then think about it. Thats part of collecting!

10. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Seller's Regret right here!!!! When i moved to Pittsburgh I sold two boxes of primo g1 TFs. Not realizing they were rare or worth a lot. I did keep my new stuff and reissues but man do i kick myself for selling them so cheap.

Granted you wont be selling your collection for cheap. but given the current economic status there might not be too many people jumping to your ideal price for your collection.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have a pretty sweet collection man. Pack them away safely and put them in storage. People are always looking for G1 figures so you shouldn't have any problems if you choose to sell them later on down the road.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless you absolutely need the money, or you absolutely need space, I just don't understand the "gotta sell it" inpulse a lot of collector's get when their interest waines. I mean, for starters, nothing is gonna get less valuable as long as they're vintage, so no reason to sell now as if "now" is the best time. Also, you know, almost anyone gets bored with looking at the same thing sitting on a shelf. I can't display everything I have, so I rotate things every few months, and then BAM! Those dull figures that were sitting in boxes are interesting again.

So yeah, I guess I agree with what's already been said and just keep them in storage for a while.

13. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Count me in the "dou't do it unless you are 100% sure" camp. Put them in storage for a while and if you don't miss them... consider selling at that point.

14. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it's not a big rush to get them out because you need money or space right now I'd say hold off on selling anything until the economy picks up some more. It's starting to get better, but I think a lot of people are still holding onto their cash right now, so you'll probably get more for them once the economy is roaring along than right now.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Don't sell it if you're not 100% sure about it. And then, sell off your least favourite pieces first, and never part with the ones you've got the greatest connection to.

16. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

It depends if you are a more compulsive person or not. If you make decisions and NEVER regret them then go ahead and sell your collection. If you are the type the makes decisions and regrets it later hold off. You can always sell them down the road. Maybe wait and see how you feel about it six months from now.

17. dougzx9

dougzx9 Wish I were here

I sold off my entire collection, except for Armada Unicron, and the only thing that I regreted selling was my Alternators. I later bought them back only to re-sell them because I ended up not liking them like I thought I did.

18. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

Think how far you could trim perhaps, but I have to agree with the guys who say hold on for a few months (by all means put em away and go cold turkey in the meantime).

Mind you, without having to part with some, you might not realize how much they do really mean to you, or at least which ones you just can't get rid of. Perhaps don't get rid of anyhting you can't pick up as a reissue for a reasonable price if you do start to regret it.

Good luck with your decision. I have a few serious hobbies and tend to flit between them, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice one for another (so I'll never be rich).

19. kaotic504

kaotic504 Well-Known Member

if you feel the need to, then i would pick and choose my absolute favorites. of course over time, they're all your favorite right? but i would choose, not just on dollar value, but sentimental value, which ones really mean something to you. and sure, sell the rest, invest in the stock market or something, and years down the line, by them back again. oh wait, why did you sell them in the first place?! we all have vices, right now, mine are my toys and my MAME cabinet.

20. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Definitely wait until summer movie hype is in full effect before considering it. You would also have to break down pretty much all of it and sell individually on fleabay to get top price. No one really pays top dollar for huge loose G1 collections anymore. Only resellers looking to break up collections and resell usually buy collections and they try to get it as cheap as possible to make as much as they can.

One question, how old are you? If you are still fairly young, I highly recommend you store them. Make sure its nice a dry and no moisture or mildew issues either. And just forget about them. I promise you if you pull them out in 10+ years you will FREAK yourself out.

If your already older and those days of reliving your youth are already over then maybe put a few away that hold the most sentimental value and sell of the rest.