Time to Boycott High Moon Studios

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by TheSarifanLord, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSarifanLord

TheSarifanLord Member

High Moon Studios on an FoC PC release:

Its a question of focus and resources for High Moon Studios. We would be tasked with building the PC version as we did with WFC. We need to launch the best console game possible and that requires us focusing 100% on PS3 and Xbox 360. We respect and love the PC community for WFC and we heard the requests for DoTM. However, a PC version is just not possible with FoC.

The wii versions of the games you mentioned were all different games, not built by High Moon.

Response by myself, having development experience:

I think it's hilarious Matt Tieger claims he started out as a PC gamer and that it just so happens he so readily abandons the platform. Sounds more than a bit two faced to me. And, HMS, just so you know: I've built SEVERAL small games with UDK - albiet for class, rather than money - and I KNOW that the differences for compiling for any console or for PC is pretty simple. As simple as pressing a GUI button that says "Compile x86?". I also know that integration with VAC and Steamworks is super simple too. So why won't you just admit you're nothing but a bunch of lazy developers? Seriously; it isn't as difficult as you make it out to be. IN POINT OF FACT: It's easier to make a game for PC using most game engines, as optimization is much less of an issue; you don't have to dumb-down models, textures, environments, lighting, effects or physical reactions like you do for console. And integration of dedicated servers, in-game voice chat and Anti-Cheat (such as VAC) is so simplified that even an untrained monkey could manage it. I'd ask what your excuse is, but it's painfully obvious: #1) You're greedy. Couple that with: #2) You're LAZY. No, seriously now, Dev to Dev: You're lazy. Completely and totally lazy. It MIGHT take you 2 or 3 weeks of extra work (time the PC community would almost surely be willing to wait) in order to release a top-notch PC game. So, yeah; I busted you on facebook. I sincerely hope that all who read this join me in Boycotting your company. You don't deserve our business; you haven't earned it.

We're tired of their BS. And you should be appalled by it too. If you feel as we do, please join us and add your voice to our own.

Steam Community :: Group :: HMS Boycott

2. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I can understand your rage, but this really isn't news. If you need to blow of some steam take it to the video games forum.

3. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not happy about the lack of a PC version, but a boycott? Not called for. If it was profitable for them, I'm sure they would be more than happy to make the game for PC. If sales for WfC on PC weren't that stellar, then it may not be worth their time to make the port. It sucks, but it is how the business works.

4. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    It's very easy for me to boycott high moon studios.. the only games they make that I'm interested are WFC and FOC. I already have WFC and they aren't releasing FOC for PC.. so.. done.

5. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    It really isn't. The PC game business is extremely profitable for companies that bother to give a crap about it. Valve, Bethesda, Bioware, Rockstar and Blizzard have made more money than you can physically SEE at one time off the PC market. Valve claims Portal 2 sold more copies on Steam than it did on consoles. Obviously that's a difficult claim to verify since the games industry is under no obligation to post accurate numbers, but they did say it.

The reason for no PC FOC is because WFC sold like shit. WFC sold like shit because the devs put zero effort into developing or promoting it. They put zero effort into it because their management is lazy and short-sighted. Simple. If you embrace the PC market, they will embrace you.

EDIT: Interestingly, Blizzard is now owned by our friends at Activision. I wonder if WOW would have even existed if Blizz had been acquired while they were developing it rather than after it was a runaway success.

I already didn't care for the way Activision does business and tend to turn my nose up at their titles. I was willing to make an exception for Transformers, but I guess I can now thank them for allowing me to avoid this quandary.

HMS I have no problem with. According to Wikipedia they've made five games and I've played one of them. They're generic developer #9183098 to me.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It's not up to High Moon. This is a decision made by the publisher, Activision. As a developer, no one at High Moon has any say in what they make. Activision tells them to make something, they make it.

If a PC version doesn't get made, it's Activision's call, no one else's.

This is how the game industry works. High Moon is not some indie dev team, or a big time self-publishing developer, like Capcom or Nintendo. They don't make any decisions about what they do or do not make. Those orders are handed down from their publisher.

Boycotting High Moon only punishes them for something Activision did. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

Wanna try boycotting Activision? Go ahead. You won't hurt them, you won't even get their attention. You'll only be punishing the developers for something they have no actual say in.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    So, wait, you're going to boycott a game you can't buy?

Makes perfect sense.

8. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Exactly what I was going to say... Good thinking, OP!

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Jeez dude calm down! Your not the only one who's dissapointed about there's no PC version for Fall of cybertron,but seriously this is just overeacting and boycotting High Moon studios for not having a PC version is just foolish and reckless pure and simple.

10. TheSarifanLord

TheSarifanLord Member

It's not pointless, nor is it foolish and reckless. Too many times does the average consumer have the same sickly, cowardly response to a company giving a group the proverbial shaft. Given that I own a stellar gaming PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, I can say that me - or anyone else who thinks this is total Bull Sugar - boycotting this company is a good idea. I will not, now or ever, purchase another HMS product. Nor should you. And I've blown up every game forum I could find thus far regarding this issue.

If you don't feel the same, no need to troll foolishly. If you do, add your voice to our own. It's really that simple.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People still play games on the PC?

:p 

12. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

I can understand the frustration on FOC not coming out for pc, but don't see how it could come as a surprise DOTM never had a pc release.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A simple response to your comments isn't exactly trolling.

For my part, I understand your frustration, but I think you're going to have a very difficult time motivating people who already have a console to boycott this game in solidarity with their PC-gamer-only brethren. Apart from this principled few, the only people who will sign on to this "boycott" are people who wouldn't (couldn't) get the (non-PC version of the) game anyway.

In effect, you're only motivating the customers that Activision/High Moon already decided that they don't need.

I don't disagree that it's a shame you're getting screwed, but I have an XBox and I'll still likely get the game. I'm not sure that you will achieve a result proportional to the energy you are obviously putting into it.

14. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Anguirus, you just owned this thread.

15. TheSarifanLord

TheSarifanLord Member

Sir, responses such as yours are both true... and incredibly disheartening. You seem to fail to see the simple logic:

If they'll screw over one group, others are soon to follow. How long, do you think, will it be until they stop supporting their console releases as well? Blaming poor sales numbers or some other such inane BS?

Just so everyone knows this:

It isn't up to Activision which platforms see release. It never has been. It never will be. The developer(s) are the sole party responsible for seeing which platforms (if any) see a release/support of any games they may produce. Activision simply supplies financial backing and provides a method by which CD's/DVD's can be printed/distributed. This has, since the coming of DCS (digital client services), been the case.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to anyone here that I contacted Activison regarding this? That their exact response was?:

"Dear Sir or Madame,

We at Activision understand your frustration and anger but we are not the responsible party for deciding which, if any, platform sees the release of games. We simply provide a means for developers to distribute their game..."

Come on guys, read my posts. Do I really seem that ignorant to you?

16. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    We do not allow boycott threads on TFW2005.com. You'll have to take your issue elsewhere.

17. TheSarifanLord

TheSarifanLord Member

I had hoped that would not be the case.

18. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a PC gamer, but PC gamers in general really need to stop being so butt-hurt when games aren't developed for the platform. Even if one person on a team grew up a PC gamer, it doesn't mean they will sacrifice everything to get a game out there. The loyalty the PC community demands from anyone who has ever played with a mouse and keyboard is insane.
    They pretend to be the most mature of gamers out there, yet nobody is quicker to whine and complain. I've done it a fair share myself, following the development of the CoD series going from PC exclusive to incredibly console centric.
    Just sit back, breathe and relax. Life is bigger than this.

19. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

Well, I don't own any consoles, so if FoC doesn't come out for PC, I'm just not gonna be able to play it.

Which sucks. Autoboycot? I think not.

There's plenty more games in the sea. 'sides, being a full time student, this is good news.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In that eventuality, what aspect of their business would then remain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.