Time to Boycott High Moon Studios

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheSarifanLord, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSarifanLord

TheSarifanLord Member

High Moon Studios on an FoC PC release:

Its a question of focus and resources for High Moon Studios. We would be tasked with building the PC version as we did with WFC. We need to launch the best console game possible and that requires us focusing 100% on PS3 and Xbox 360. We respect and love the PC community for WFC and we heard the requests for DoTM. However, a PC version is just not possible with FoC.

The wii versions of the games you mentioned were all different games, not built by High Moon.

Response by myself, having development experience:

I think it's hilarious Matt Tieger claims he started out as a PC gamer and that it just so happens he so readily abandons the platform. Sounds more than a bit two faced to me. And, HMS, just so you know: I've built SEVERAL small games with UDK - albiet for class, rather than money - and I KNOW that the differences for compiling for any console or for PC is pretty simple. As simple as pressing a GUI button that says "Compile x86?". I also know that integration with VAC and Steamworks is super simple too. So why won't you just admit you're nothing but a bunch of lazy developers? Seriously; it isn't as difficult as you make it out to be. IN POINT OF FACT: It's easier to make a game for PC using most game engines, as optimization is much less of an issue; you don't have to dumb-down models, textures, environments, lighting, effects or physical reactions like you do for console. And integration of dedicated servers, in-game voice chat and Anti-Cheat (such as VAC) is so simplified that even an untrained monkey could manage it. I'd ask what your excuse is, but it's painfully obvious: #1) You're greedy. Couple that with: #2) You're LAZY. No, seriously now, Dev to Dev: You're lazy. Completely and totally lazy. It MIGHT take you 2 or 3 weeks of extra work (time the PC community would almost surely be willing to wait) in order to release a top-notch PC game. So, yeah; I busted you on facebook. I sincerely hope that all who read this join me in Boycotting your company. You don't deserve our business; you haven't earned it.

We're tired of their BS. And you should be appalled by it too. If you feel as we do, please join us and add your voice to our own.

Steam Community :: Group :: HMS Boycott

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Isn't it possible that a PC game is released down the line? I mean, let's agree that it takes 2-3 weeks to develop a PC game as you said (I'm in law and not tech, but that seems way too short to me for a PC game), those 2-3 weeks may be better spent in tech/hardware they've already spent time developing. In other words, those 2-3 weeks will make a better game for the xbox/ps3.

Now let's assume the game is better for those 2-3 weeks they spent on consoles. Let's assume the game overall does really well-- don't you think they'd then find some way to port to PC?

Since the bottom line is profit, I'm sure they looked at the PC market and how much better they could make the xbox and ps3 games and decided the investment was worth it for the latter. If the game does well, maybe they'll do a PC version, or maybe a 3rd game will include PC.

3. TheSarifanLord

TheSarifanLord Member

The reason the PC sales suffered the way they did is because of the lack of support they showed... but only for the PC release. The 360 and PS3 had, at least, marginal support. PC got none. Playing the game on console (pick one, it's the same) and then playing it on PC is a totally different experience because of the support one got over the other. Now, they've heaped fuel upon the fire and refused to release any future games on PC.

I suppose it failed to escape their lofty notice that, because of the crappy support on the PC version, their sales suffered. Had they at least been active in the PC forums, they'd've known that. But they weren't.

Too many times do consumers have a sickly, cowardly response to a group in power giving the little guy the proverbial shaft.

I, for one, refuse to let that stand. I love the Transformers too much to let such a shoddy company get by without saying anything.

EDIT:

Sir, responses such as yours are both true... and incredibly disheartening. You seem to fail to see the simple logic:

If they'll screw over one group, others are soon to follow. How long, do you think, will it be until they stop supporting their console releases as well? Blaming poor sales numbers or some other such inane BS?

Just so everyone knows this:

It isn't up to Activision which platforms see release. It never has been. It never will be. The developer(s) are the sole party responsible for seeing which platforms (if any) see a release/support of any games they may produce. Activision simply supplies financial backing and provides a method by which CD's/DVD's can be printed/distributed. This has, since the coming of DCS (digital client services), been the case.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to anyone here that I contacted Activison regarding this? That their exact response was?:

"Dear Sir or Madame,

We at Activision understand your frustration and anger but we are not the responsible party for deciding which, if any, platform sees the release of games. We simply provide a means for developers to distribute their game..."

Come on guys, read my posts. Do I really seem that ignorant to you?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to boycot them anyway because if it's not PC i can't buy it B)

5. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's Activision's money, their resources that get the games printed. Most developers are basically "guns for hire", they do what the publisher tells them to do. In this case, Activision probably told them to focus on getting the console versions as good as they can get, since THAT is where a majority of the sales are likely to come from for this type of game. (And don't forget that designing for the PC isn't as easy as you say, there is a LOT of time and resources spent optimizing a given game for PC given the large number of potential configurations. Optimization you don't have to do for an Xbox or PS3 release)

I don't believe you are ignorant, but I think you don't seem to grasp the basics of the business sides to many of these decisions. If the PC version had sold well (regardless of the so-called "support issues"), Activision would do a PC version.

The fact you didn't see any post-release support, that you aren't seeing anything for Fall of Cybertron coming to the PC basically says the game did NOT sell well enough for Activision to justify the time, money, resources, and support for all the stuff you claim is so easy. Remember, "easy" doesn't always mean "cheap".

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    This did not need to be posted in two forums.

And before you say "I wanted to reach more people", you posted the other one in the TF Video Game Forum. Anyone you're "trying to reach" has probably already read your...fanboy sense of entitlement. This thread is unneccesary and spam, not to mention annoying.

7. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is however, kinda funny to read.

8. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I do not support a boycott of High Moon studios. I feel every gamer on Earth should be forced to buy a copy of WFC to pump up sales. And what the hell is a "PC Gamer" anyway?

9. HarryFA1

HarryFA1 Rank #14

News Credits:
    Srsly? :inquisiti 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.