Time gap discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CSpuppydog, Jan 31, 2007.

1. CSpuppydog

CSpuppydog Well-Known Member

There is a huge time gap in between G2 Beast Wars thousands of years I believe. There are some things I'm confused about... Like what happened in the time .gap. Like who too the Matrix of power after Rodimus Prime. Also what happened after G2?
    I wish they would explain some things.... I sure that a lot of important events happened... just don't know what they are. But out of everything I wish they would say who got the Matrix after Rodimus, and who gave the Matrix to Leo Prime.

Do any of you know what happened.... or have any idea of what happened?

2. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Beast wars takes place in a future from which G1 like Autobots and Decepticons were in the past. It does not follow anyone G1 timeline nor does it follow G2, It makes references to all histories when ever it was needed for the BW story. So the Gap you speak of could be the gap between G2 and BW, But it could also be the gap between the G1 cartoon and BW.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    G2 follows the G1 Marvel comics. BW follows a mix of the G1 comics and the cartoon. I believe the gap between them was around 800 years IIRC.

4. optimus_prime_rules_007

optimus_prime_rules_007 Banned

They mention something about a 300 year gap somewhere.

5. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Yeah I am sure BA says the great war was 300 years ago.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As I recall, BA says 300 cycles ago, not years. Now, while it may be easy to just swap the two words, that's not necessary so. It could be a long time in Earth years, or the same.

7. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

AND the word cycle is also used to mean "day" as well as "year".

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    300-cycle long Badminton tournament, I believe.

Don't ask me how, but Ramhorn was the victor.

9. daMooseVS

daMooseVS Well-Known Member

What has been established about "G2" is very minimal, just some additional notes tacked onto the end of G1, such as the Cybertronian Alliance, the Swarm, Jhiaxus and the Cybertronian Empire, etc.

So, really doesn't matter WHERE the gap begins. As you said, BW is in the future, but the same timeline, of G1/G2. So, what happened as the characters we know and love from G1/G2 aged, grew in strength and power, and what happened as they died or passed on their legacy? What steps occured between Autobot and Maximal and between Decepticon and Predacon?

10. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Here maybe these will help:

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Continuities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(comic)

Their the best explanation of all the differant continuities in the Transformers Multi-verse that I've been able to find so far. I guess it realy depends on witch continuity you want to follow or witch universe in the Transformer Multiverse you wanna explore. Another good article to read is "Heralds of Unicron", it explanis a little more about how the differant universes react with each other within the multiverse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heralds_of_Unicron

Hope these help :) 

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

According to the TF wiki there, a cycle is around one minute and a mega-cycle is almost 2 years.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

What the TF wiki article meant was that if mega was used in the same way as the normally used scientific prefix for 10 to the power of 6 (like giga tera so on...) , and if the cycle is approximately a minute, 10 to the power of 6 minutes would give you two years.

But in the context of the Beast Wars show, I think they used it as a cybertronian approximation of an hour.

Also, a solar-cycle is more or less a Cybertronian day.

13. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I think it was like this for BW?

Nanoclick - Second
    Cycle - Minute
    MegaCycle - Hour
    Solar Cycle - Day
    Stellar Cycle - Year

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cycles seem to be pretty fluid depending on the writing. The only time unit I've ever treated as being consistent was a 'vorn' being about 83 Earth years.

And I remember the 300 number as being years also, but once someone said it was cycles I started doubting myself. Could be either, and I'd be a little happier if it was more than 300 Earth years. That just never seemed to be enough time to basically replace the Autobot/Decepticons w/ Maximals/Predacons so completely.

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thank you for posting this! I've been working on a fanfic and was trying to get my Cybertronian time units right. This is most helpful. And I think the gap between G1 and BW is pretty much accepted as being 300 years.

16. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

From what I've managed to glean through Googling and Research the following Maximal/Predacon Era Time Units represent the Following Earth time units.

Nanoklicks = One Earth Second
    Cycles = One Earth Minute
    Mega Cycles (Guestimated/Made Up) = One Earth Hour
    Deca Cycles = Thirty Earth Days
    Quantum Cycles Unknown Decided = One Earth Week
    Solar Cycles = One Cybertronian Day (Equivalent to Earth Days unknown, but since all of BM seemed to take place during Cybertron's Nights and those seemed to be capable of lasting a lot longer then usual for Earth I'd estimate that a Cybertronian Day is not = to an Earth Day and the Nights concievably could be the longer of the two considering the rotation of the planet around it's sun.)
    Stellar Cycles = One Earth Year or One Year in General

Of course this is only my interpretation in some cases, most notably Mega Cycles and Quantum Cycles to which I could find precious few info in fact they seemed to be ignored. (Quantum Cycle comes from BM; when asked about the built in DNA scanner Nightscream responded that everyone got them on the last Quantum Cycle Upgrade, which could mean it's more then a week unless a Quantum Cycle upgrade only happens every twelve or more Quantum Cycles in which case the Week thing could still happen.)

As for the question that started this topic; I'm kind of uncertain what to make of what happened in between G1/G2 and BW, obviously the Great War itself could have lasted a lot longer because I doubt Galvatron or Megatron would just give up and agree to a peacable co-existence, in order for the Pax-Cybertronian to be a reality and all that I suspect that Optimus or Rodimus would have had to have actually killed Galvatron/Megatron. And even then not all Decepticons would have just given up/decided on living the peaceful life; so there probably would have been a few more smaller skirmishes or the like while Autobot and Decepticon became Maximal and Predacon in a sense... I'd like to think though that the Autobots still exist as well as those Decepticons who refused the downgrade; with so many Cybertronians now smaller and energy efficient they wouldn't have to worry about the Energon status considering so few Energon Guzzlers would probably remain on Cybertron proper, moving out to establish distant colonies or the like.

17. daMooseVS

daMooseVS Well-Known Member

If this is the case, then man is Cybertron really wonky. In G1 we're expected to believe that a cival war has raged on for 4.? million years and the major players in the conflict have not changed. Say what you will, this is one thing I like about DW's attempt at the G1 comics with the "Great Shutdown"- makes more sense as to why the Cybertron the Ark-bound 'bots remember is still, mostly, the same.
    But still, thats several million years of no change, then POW- three hundred years later, its so radically different...

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Yup, it's pretty wonky. I was also pretty amazed the first time I saw Forever is a Long Time Coming and learned the rebellion against the Quints was only 11 million years ago and we know the current war has been going on for 9 million years. That means only 2 million years for the TFs to rebel agains their masters, forget who created them, have the 2nd Great War where TFs first learned to how to transform, and go through about 5 Primes before Optimus (according to the number of Primes we see on FFOD Pt. 4.)

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Understandable, but if you think of each year of the show or the toyline as roughly a year (give or take the 1985-2005 skip) both sides went through a lot of technology in a short time, including head/target/powermasters, pretenders, various combiners, and Micromasters, which can be in part be related to the war hotting up and interaction with Earth and Humanity (though it can be argued that many technologies were developing well before that). Overall, the upgrade to Maximals/Predacons can be seen as turning all the previously developed tech into a cohesive whole, as well as, after the Great War being mostly over, an attempt to keep Cybertron from degenerating into a depleted war torn husk again. Considering how much change happened over 25 years or less, 300 doesn't seem quite a stretch for major change. It does make the stretches of millions of years seem pretty incongruous though. I'd guess on long Dreamwave-esque shutdowns during the low energy times, and a tendency toward complacency.

... and when Shockwave said "Cybertron shall remain as you leave it", he was being REALLY literal-minded. :)