Time for New Leaders?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Furious Rodimus, May 21, 2010.

1. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

I do like the idea of maybe spotlighting other deputies, or even other fronts in the war. In Furman's IDW -tion run it would have been interesting to see some/more of the other theatres of combat and maybe bring in more characters like Star Saber or God Ginrai working with their own infiltration teams and seeing what their philosophy was to running their units.

I really need to get on reading Last Stand of the Wreckers just so I can see what IDW did with Overlord.

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    i would not mind seeing a spin off series with a different leader. like a series for the dinobots or the wreckers or even an origin story of primus vs unicron. but you can't start a new series on there own with no prime or megatron.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yes I definitely want to see some new leaders (and characters in general) but I know that since Hasbro needs to keep the rights to use the names we will forever have an Optimus Prime and Megatron leading their respective factions. That's totally fine but it makes every series utterly stale and boring (for me at least).

4. Mr knightmare

Mr knightmare Banned

News Credits:
    I think that what we need is a new GROUP of NEW characters. Not some new designs with G1 names slapped on them totally new fun interesting characters. If anything Animated showed us that they can still think of a cool character.

Leve Megatron and Optimus as the leaders of the whole FACTION but let us follow this new group of Autobots and Decepticons.

5. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Nah, man, it's cool.

Prime and I are pretty tight.

6. Metal Maverick

Metal Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm with you there. I like transformers and I like the characters, but it's mostly the same old guys over and over again. I'd like to see a new series where the cast is entirely different. I know it won't happen, but it'd be nice to just have at least one show from time to time that wasn't about the adventures of the same 10 or so bots.

7. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah. Optimus and Megatron forever please. Thanks.

8. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

I like how they did it with Animated, it had Optimus, but he was just a captain of a ship, a repair ship at that and he rose up to be a warrior leader. Meg, well, he just always would have to be the diabolical evil leader, unless he went missing.

But yes, maybe a show where Op was still the main leader but it focused more on a team of like Rodimus and his crew, or some other little squad would be a good change

9. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I think it could work if you had a show that focused on different teams of autobots and cons from week to week and have Op lead just one of the teams so he still there getting some of the spotlight but has to share it with others.

10. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:

AEC tried to do this and people generally bitched. They had to recycle names for legal reasons, but we got a lot of new names too. G1 Jetfire, AEC Jetfire, and Animated Jetfire are all completely different characters. Ditto for AEC Cyclonus, Demolishor, Thrust, Tidal Wave, Hot Shot (who was not Bumblebee or Cheetor), Red Alert, etc etc...

11. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    In short, Op and Megs, Bumblebee and Starscream must remain. But let's have Op and Megs be "kings", guys that sit and command, while waiting for drastic situations that require their "talents." Seeing Bee and Starscream rise through the ranks (Bee with the intention of doing the greater good, Starscream with the intention of eliminating Megs and taking over the Decepticons) would be a nice spin. Season 1 could end with Bee's ascention, Starscream failing to take out Megs and the fallout. Starscream need not "the Starscream", just someone who assumes the name and mantle he left.

This allows familar faces, but could have the rising characters working with various new characters and teams. Also good would be a "rise of the Wreckers" series, focusing on the Autobot and Decepticon special forces (the Wreckers and Combaticons respectively). I'd add Dinobots as a team of mercenary warriors, who work for the highest bidder, resulting in some battles being swayed by their involvment.

Its time for a new spin. New characters like Lockdown, Oil Slick and Lugnut are great.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    DP

13. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like some change, I loved the take animated had however there's to much money in both of those character for HASBRO to change.

If they were to pull a change like they did in G1 with Rodimus and whatnot, I'd be on board.

14. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Until all are one!

News Credits:
    I don't think having new leaders outside of OP is a bad idea. You just need a good group of visionaries, writers, producers to collaborate to get all the history that's been intertwine with the character Optimus Prime, to delve from the norm of Transformers heroic leader Optimus Prime.

G1 Rodimus Prime potential to be a good leader was there. Just that it the writing, story telling, and mostly the characterization of him was horrendous. Nobody likes a constant nag, which will forever define what G1 Rodimus Prime. Love him in the the movie as Hotrod, and kicking galvatron behind as Rodimus Prime, saving cybertron, and then what? The people involved turn him into that.

TF:A gave people a blueprint on how it can be done, Rodimus can take on that role of heroic autobot leader. As long as the story telling is there, and the idea has a solid foundation. I truly believe that transformers can afford to having another autobot leader. With all that said Optimus has to be there as a major player.

15. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    what we need is optimus prime going up against a new leader of the decepticons. just like in car robots when optimus (convoy) went up against gigatron (megatron in r.i.d.). lets put optimus prime against bludgen as the new leader, and megatron m.i.a. after the last confrantatin with optimus. or have optimus as a side charater and have one of his lieutenants as a main character going up against a decepticon looking to be come decepticon emperor. im not saying to get rid of megatron, just push him to the side a little for someone else. i always loved optimus vs. megatron, but we need something else like in the comics. what we really need is to get back to the "robots in disguise" theme. and having the human government looking to aquire them at all costs. a group of decepticons fighting for leadership would be nice too.

16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I would love a series with Optimus as leader of the Autobots, but Rodimus as main character. He could do various missions with his team and other comrades, some episodes could center on other characters and the Decepticons are not just evil, they are understandable in their actions and they could have more infights and changing of their leader, or factions splitting from the Decepticons so we have 2 enemy factions (like evil horde and skeletors gang), etc.

That would be cool. And I would love to have it drawn by a japanese studio that has already done other successful robot animes.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't want OP and Megs to not be the leaders... but not as the main characters would be cool.

Like how in TFA the show focused on a team of losers and not the ELITE GUARD themselves.

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Yeah, I could do with new Leaders, like say...Blackout.:p 

19. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Yes please Jesus.

Optimus Prime makes me cringe.

20. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

get some old japanese leaders to become leaders with new figures (star saber!)