Time for New Leaders?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Furious Rodimus, May 21, 2010.

1. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

Hi all,

Just lately I've thinking about TF and the leaders and whether or not its time for new leaders to step in for our beloved Optimus and Megatron? Mainly I'm asking this mostly for a story-telling point of view, and if that would open things up for the creators/writers et al or if the backlash would be too great for something like that to happen.

This mainly stems from having watched Masterforce (and to a lesser extent Victory) and enjoying watching Ginrai and Overlord/Devil Z and the arcs that they went through as leaders.

2. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Well except for season 3 of G1 the leaders have always been Prime and Megatron one way or another. I don't know about the comics or Japanese continuity. New leaders could open all kinds of new story telling arcs. However I think hasbro looks at it from a financial point of view. they just want to sell toys and those 2 names have always been linked with the leaders. You know what they say. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

3. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would love to see Rodimus Prime get some love, ohh and Galvatron for sure.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think, if anything, Animated showed us that Optimus Prime can still be a powerful character even if he's not "King Autobot", and I really liked how they put a new spin on his place in the hierarchy, as well as how he related to other Autobot "leaders". That being said, I think it could be a great move to have story arcs or an entire series that relegates Optimus Prime to a background role, and focuses on other characters in leadership roles where they haven't been before. IMO, it worked out in the Marvel comics, and it worked out in the Japanese continuity, so why not give it a shot?

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

No.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    It'll never, ever, ever happen, but slag yeah!

I've been a big advocate of getting new characters in a series for a very long time, I have been tired for some time of getting a retread of the same select cast time and time again. There are plenty of ways to create a new leader-type without overtly replacing Optimus Prime and Megatron, it's just a matter of Hasbro never will, due to the recognition factor.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Nope..just wouldn't feel like Transformers without them!!! Sure, they go down and out every once in awhile..but thankfully they RISE AGAIN!! :D 

8. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

They already tried this in the 80's. Sadly, the plan failed after Season 3's so-so writing made Rodimus a joke of a leader

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    It would certainly be interesting, although I can't really see it happening anytime soon.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    We need not look any further than the history of Rodimus Prime to understand how much of a bad idea new leaders would be. As Transformers fans, as in this fandom, we could accept it, but the general public - probably not.

I'd be up for it, but it'll never happen pass the extent of what TFA pulled off.

11. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This indeed. Something of this sort is probably the furthest we're going to get anymore since Optimus and Megatron are pretty much the main stays due to brand recognition and $$$. I would really like to see one of these approaches used more.

Honestly I don't think just for leaders either. If anything new characters and personalities are welcome. We don't need G1 homage #32342342 all the time.

12. thewyseone

thewyseone G.I.Juggernaut

Ebay:
    can never diss prime,i might be a decepticon at heart,but o to the p is the most heroic character ever.without op,i cant see 3 the same as transformers.its only go-bots to me without op.

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I would totally be up for a series that didn't focus on Prime and Megatron, just for some variety. Keep them in the background as powerful, present forces who sometimes come into play, but focus the core story on an ensemble of lower-ranking characters. I've always liked the idea of little "teams" of Transformers, with their own mini-hierarchies. Animated dabbled in that briefly, with Rodimus' unit and Magnus' unit, and though they didn't have time to explore it more I thought it was a nice approach. And heck, isn't the "small independent team" aspect one reason that people like the Wreckers?

In a real (modern) war you wouldn't have the generals out there leading the charge themselves with guns blazing. The real nitty gritty work (and thus the most captivating stories) would be done by the folks on the front lines.

Additionally, with Transformers being such a sprawling, long-running franchise at this point, moving the focus off Prime and Megatron could be a very refreshing chance to flesh out some characters who have long been overshadowed and underdeveloped. While from a marketing standpoint I doubt you could ever do a show WITHOUT Prime and Megatron in some capacity, it doesn't mean they have to be the focus.

14. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Optimus Prime and Megatron always being the leader-leaders, so to speak. Figure they're too iconic in most cases. And so when I think of either one, I pretty much see them as the personification of Autobot and Decepticon, respectfully.

I wouldn't, however, mind if they shifted the focus from Opt and Megs and put it on the other bots from time-to-time. Because it'd only make sense that there are moments in which someone else has to step into the role of leader--if nothing else from just the deal where Optimus and Megatron can't be everywhere all at once.

Also, it'd be interesting if they threw more obscure characters in the mix--Transformers you wouldn't normally think of and/or see in a leadership role. Because since they all have their own kinds of talents and specialties, it kind of leaves the door open for endless possibilities.

15. Infil

Infil Well-Known Member

I think the posters here are onto the right strategy. You can't go against Optimus and Megatron's overwhelming popularity by removing them from leadership. It's too risky, (and let's just overlook that Animated did it successfully. That was a big gamble that paid off).

Putting some deputy-leaders into the spotlight, with Prime and Megs retaining superiority but taking a backseat, is the best way to develop some fresh blood.

16. rainningstorm

rainningstorm cheapskate@Cantonment

Technically it could work, like some have said for TFA, more of like an Origins story and how he risen to become that leader.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I thought Season 3's writing in dealing with Rodimus was some of the best of the series. The problem was it didn't appear as though the writers coordinated, so every time Rodimus grew as a character in one episode and became more confident, in the next episode he's unsure of himself again. Obviously this sort of thing can't be dealt with in a single episode (comic stories suggest it takes Optimus Prime a long time to deal with the burden of command), yeah, it's kinda all over the place.

Unfortunately, this was all because this show was written very, very quickly, often passing only the first draft.

And then they ruined all the development Rodimus Prime had by bringing back Optimus anyway.

18. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I wouldn't mind new leaders, just to do something different with the mythos for a change, but it won't happen, and that's just strictly for Hasbro's trademark/brand purposes -- outside of that, these days, any time they ever actually kill off Optimus or Megatron, you know they'll be back before the sales numbers on their toys make the slightest dip anyway.

19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't see them ever replacing them, but I love how TFA did it with multiple Primes and a higher ranking Magnus. Cybertron did that too by having other leaders, with Optimus as the Supreme Commander...

20. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

In the Takara continuity the titles of Supreme Commander and Emperor of Destruction get passed around.

But taking cue from Cybertron and TFA I would rather have several subgroup teams or factions with Optimus and Megatron being the overall leaders.

Marvel comics had a similar setup.