Time for a phone upgrade... Thinking of leaving apple..

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Wyvern, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Sooo... It's time for me to upgrade my phone. I currently own an iPhone 3GS and I was looking forward to something better from today's announcement from apple. I wanted a bigger phone. Bigger screen. Something new. What we got is another rehash. Now I love the iPhone. I really do. And going from 3GS to the 4S is a considerable upgrade. Still, I think I want more.

I've been thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy S2. Should I do it? I'm kinda scared to leave apple. I've been spoiled by their awesome responsive screen and user friendly OS...

Help... I'm confused.. :( 

2. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I assume you're AT&T? As a Verizon customer, I'm sold on Android. as soon as I scrape together the extra $, I'm jumping on a Motorola Bionic. I'm a big Apple fan, but for my phone dollars, Droid is the way to go, no looking back.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Yeah. I'm tethered to AT&T. I have a pretty good old plan and I get a good discount from work. Verizon isn't an option for me so I realize my options are limited.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I expect the next iphone to be the better one. This is like the 3GS was to the 3G, a good upgrade, but not something you really need if you had the previous version. But still I'm really looking forward to infinity blade 2.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    i don't get the whole big screen on my phone deal. i like my phones to have a smaller size like the iPhone 4. remember bigger screen= less pocket space. all of your purchases on the iPhone will be gone unless you get an iPod touch so that might be an extra 200 dollars spent. if you want to get away from apple go with a 4g phone. but i think the 4s is a good upgrade and i think it has better trade offs then a bigger screen like a 1080p screen so you get full hd on the 4s. i sticking with apple. plus infinity blade 2 is gonna be amazing.

6. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

With all the new features on the iP4S and iOs5 I am totally in.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From what I understand, I don't think the 4g networks are robust enough yet to make it really worthwhile. A guy I work with has a 4g Android phone and only gets 4g when he's at work in NYC, but not here in NJ.

I remember the Droid X having a pretty hefty screen, you might want to look at that. Really I'd just suggest going into a store (even a Verizon store, they'll have a lot of the same phones) and look at/play with some different models. But don't forget to consider battery life- bigger screen, less battery time.

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Yeah. I just saw the battery life specs on that galaxy... It's not that good compared to the new iphone's.

And really... The iPhone is so damn easy to use... Ugh. So confused. Plus I've bought a lot of apps and music for my iPhone already..

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    ya go iPhone 4s. i think the 4 battery is great so that means the 4s is even better. plus if i get a droid after an iPhone i will be dumb enough to buy the same apps again. hopefully you won't do the same. lol

10. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't do it, you will regret it. I left my iPhone4 for Android, went back after a month. Then when my iPhone broke I gave WP7 a shot. I like WP7 better than Android, but still have yet to find anything that compares with my experience with the iPhone.

Not saying it is the end all be all of phones, but if you are already having some trepidation on whether it is right for you to leave your iPhone, chances are you might regret it. Make sure if you DO try something out, that you play with the new item as much as you can within the return policy window. Every time I tried something new it was amazing for the first few days, and then I began to miss "this" or "that" the way I had it on my iPhone.

Just my $0.02

11. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I am totally sold on my Droid X2, but have heard nothing but good things about the Bionic

12. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    He has at and t so he can't get the bionic it a Verizon exclusive.

13. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    and it's those LITTLE details that I always seem to miss -_-

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well....

iPhone still has the market for accessories, applications and integration into every day items. Their interface is familiar, simple and elegant. I understand the iPhone 4S is not a huge upgrade from iPhone 4, but from a 3GS it should be a significant improvement.

Android is probably better if your familiar with how the system is supposed to work and can make your own apps and are more technically minded.

WP7, the black sheep of the group, recently got a HUGE update called Mango (for full details see the page or CNet write up) and based on my HTC Mozart it was a well needed and implemented upgrade. Apps are still sparse due to lack of market penetration, but the interface itself is actually pretty elegant and easy to use: the LiveTiles are an especially inspired touch.

In short:

iPhone - most support from developers and third parties and easy to use interface and very newbie and old hat friendly. Simple design, but can seem bland in the face of the various handsets available for Android though.

Android - for the power users who want the utmost control over the phone and what it can do and recent versions have been very, very good. Has the widest array of available handsets; from the low powered Huawei Sonic to the supersonic Motorolla Atrix. There is something for EVERYONE.

Windows Phone 7 - new kid on the block, very lean and good to use but not a lot of fun toys. Comes on an excellent array of HTC handsets. Rumours also abound of Nokia dropping Symbian for WP7 in 2012.

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I disagree with that. I'd barely ever touched a smart phone when I got my Droid Incredible, and found it to be very intuitive. Granted I'm quite technically competent, but I'm far from a power user and never touched Android, Linux, Unix, or anything like that before. Anything I've needed to do I could either figure out simply enough or get a quick answer via Googling.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The end result tends to vary, the default Andriod UI is in my opinion, fucking woeful. HTC's overlay tends to solve that problem usually, but for the uninitiated to smartphones and even tech in general, its a god damned mess.

Once you learn it, such as you did through Google, very powerful. I won't knock anyone who uses it (as I did for a time, FYI, XperiaX10 is crap) but I try not to be blind to some of its problems either.

17. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    My brother has a SGS2 and believe me the battery life is really really good.

18. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Isn't the battery life on the iphone 4s worse than the iphone 4:p ?
    What's New About the iPhone 4S? - Gear Feature at IGN

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
  20. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    and the standby time if much worse.