"Time-Extension" bull$hit at Overstock.com

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by transmetropolitan, Jul 23, 2007.

1. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Never knew Overstock.com had auctions. Found some dirt cheap stuff. Put bid in with 20seconds left and became high bidder. Any time there is a new high bidder with less than 10 minutes to go a 10 minute time extension is given to the auction. Somebody else bid, became high bidder, and 10 more minutes was added. F-IT.

This was taken from their FAQ:
    Question
    Auction Time Extensions

Answer
    If an auction receives a bid that creates a new high bidder within 10 minutes of the auction closing time, the auction will be extended for an additional 10 minutes from the time it was originally scheduled to close. All bidders will receive an auction extension notice via email.

Note: The auction will continue indefinitely until 10 minutes have passed without a new high bidder.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Wow. That's a remarkably stupid idea IMO.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know. It's good for the seller. Which is Overstock.com, so I can see why they'd like doing this.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Auctions without sniping? Higher end prices and more fairness to all bidders? Higher commissions?!

Tell me why eBay doesn't already do this, or at least offer it at an upcharge.

5. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    If they're going to do that they should have an automatic bidding system like ebay. At least that way if another buyer gets outbid over and over you have some chance of winning. That is until that next buyer comes along and outdoes you by $1.00.

Stupid idea.

I remember when that site first started and you could get CDs for $5.00 (DECENT CDs, not some no-name band). Now it's a "we'll beat the manufacturer's suggested retail price" site. Original concept there, I'm sure no other retailer has ever thought of that.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Buyer might end up paying more without sniping and what-not, but the item will go to the guy who wants to pay the most, and that's how auctions work elsewhere.

7. Blackout14

Blackout14 Member

This is the way most "real" auction houses operate. I used to be into collecting game-used hockey equipment and was involved in many a late night auction as time was continuously added on.

As you guys have mentioned, good for the seller - not so great if you're buying. But this is the way most auction houses work, eBay is actually quite rare.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No more sniping sounds good to me. Not a big fan.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Yahoojapan does the time extensions also ive had to sit there fo an extra hour and ended up spending alot more

10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    talk about auctions getting drug out. god, tf auctions would never end.

11. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

yeah, yahoo japan has the time extension thing too, i love it when people's spending limit starts getting passed and the auction go up 50 cents every minute for hours, lol.

12. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

PURE HELL

I already get a little shakey, and my heart starts racing, when it's something I really desire. Those circumstances would kill me.

13. optimuslives

optimuslives Banned

I would hate it, personally, even if I get sniped, I prefer knowing whether or not I need to move on to another auction or not.

14. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Yeah, a lot of people hate sniping, but there are definitely significant annoyances with this sort of alternative.