time: a rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what is it about people and not being able to tell time accurately?
    "I'll be there at 12."
    "See you at 2."
    "i put it in my calendar for 330."

and naturally, they show up at:
    1 o'clock.
    and 5.

really, when i tell you when i will be somewhere, i am there 20-30 minutes early in case there's a problem or to avoid delays.
    and i hate giving excuses more than anything.

so why do people really lie or make empty promises about these things?

besides, when someone is late, i have to wonder if they are safe or not. it's just too much stress over something that could be avoided with a little courtesy.

it's a pet peeve of mine i suppose.
    but is it too much to ask of people that they learn how to tell time and stick to a schedule that they make themselves?

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
  3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

My Dad's like that. He has to be somewhere at 3, and he leaves the house at 2:45, yet it takes longer than 15 minutes to drive into town from where we live. He's never slow, never lazy, just so busy with what he's doing and so distracted. He just has no concept of time.

I sure am glad I got my mother's clock though, if I have to be somewhere at a certain time, I'm there! I'm usually early by ten minutes or so as well!

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This thread isn't about being able to tell time, it's about punctuality, which is totally different.

5. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    If I'm not 15mins early I feel late and have been that way my entire life. One of my sisters on the other hand, if you want her or any of her family to be somewhere at a certain time you have to tell them to be there 30 mins later than the time you want them there. It's ridiculous. It's like they operate in a bubble and anything outside that bubble of their immediate senses only vaguely exists. The concept of planning to be somewhere and then taking steps to ensure that happens just doesn't occur to them. Any time I try to say something about it the response I get is basically "oh that's just how we are" like they have no control over it.

6. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I worked at a hospital for 2 months as part of a internship I got through my High School. I arrived at work at least 15 to 20 minutes early, so I could talk to the night shift and greet the people coming in for my shift.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

God bless Urban Dictionary.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    It's absolutely true though. I know tons of people who runs on "asian time", In fact, I myself have to fight this stereotype. I actually hate being late to anything, so I am always 5-15 min early.

9. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I was brought up to believe that "Early is on time. "On Time", however, is late."

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "_____ time" is a term where you can pretty much throw any ethnic minority in the blank and it fits the stereotype!

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm an on-time type of person. My wife isn't. Which is why I occasionally set her clocks ahead. :) 

12. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Interesting topic, I myself place serious amounts of emphasis on punctuality to the point that if I have an obligation that I'm late for I probably won't even want to bother turning up, by turning up late you've already sold yourslef short for whatever it is you're turning up to!

But in recent years I find that I do turn up late to quite non-important things like meeting friends that don't return the favour to go out for instance, the reason being that initially I use to be punctual all the time (pre 2002) but was almost always disappionted so I decided simply these days to turn up late as I would rather have someone wait on me than me wait on them!

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Forgive me if this comes across as offensive, but my question to that line of thought would be, is that selfish?

Like, if you consciously thought that, and made the decision to be late, would the statement implied be "my time is more impt than your time"? Just curious.

I suppose for myself, I go by one of the Chinese saying "Rather to have people abandon you, than to abandon others" (I guess abandon isn't the right translation, but its more like, you'd rather have other people break their words/promise/trust with you, than you breaking your words, promises, and trust to another...)

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Not to mention the Canadian Housewife. Nobody will get this reference, but it's all good.

Getting back to the whole being on time/thinking you can get anywhere in 10 minutes stuff, I think it just comes down to a combination of needing to be prepared. I'm rarely ever late because I make sure to leave a little extra time, I plan everything on my trip, and if I'm going somewhere unfamilair (such as for a job interview later in the week), I'll often even go there before to make sure that it becomes familiar.

Like, I could understand not doing this if there was short notice or if I had to bus somewhere (in which case I'd get a map or make myself directions anyway), but having a car & having an extra day really leaves me with few excuses to be lazy when it comes to something important. Heck, even if I'm meeting a friend somewhere I consider that to be important too, so I'll plan ahead & leave enough time. If there's an accident & the bridge is closed for an hour then I guess that sucks, but hitting every red light shouldn't make me late.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When I show up is when things start, so I don't really worry about being on time. My patients aren't going anywhere anyways.

16. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Pretty much, yes! Perhaps a bit overstated but along the lines of if I can turn up early then I will and if I can't then I won't this applies particularly to unreceprocating friends when non-important issues are concerned eg like going out clubbing, for important engagements like work I'm always punctual!

I know it does sound selfish but I'd rather dump on than be dumped on!

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i started this thread because i was forced to wait on someone who eventually was 40 minutes late meeting me, then i guess i ranted for nothing because i arrived at a meeting (early) that was scheduled for 2.
    guess what? the "professional" i was meeting didn't show until 155. and all they had to do was walk 20 feet down a hallway. WTH?

the only instances where time/punctuality isn't an issue with me:
    Geology
    Astronomy
    Fossilization
    Fossil Fuels

seriously, ya think i am gonna bitch at god or who ever is in charge of those things for that stuff?
    Hey, dude, you said that fossil would be ready by 2008...

i get the feeling that these days, people think their time is more important than others' time and they can just wait.

i really wouldn't be so upset about it, but considering these days i am dependent upon others for certain things, i hate giving someone my word, my promise that i will be somewhere on time and have my reputation dependent upon someone who can't judge Time, Distance and the reality of driving a Honda in traffic accurately.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Happens to me all the time. Other people just don't seem to think my time is worth a crap. And often they won't even let me know they're going to be late. Or even bothering to turn up at all.
    And yet if I do happen to be late - which is extremely rare - I catch all kinds of shit for it.

I think I spend half my life waiting for people.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Between this and your avatar I can't stop picturing your life set to a Ke$ha song.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I never tell that I'm there at a certain time, I tell when I will be their earliest. Could be later. Tempus fugit.