Tim Seeley Talks G.I. Joe Vs Transformers IV: Black Horizon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by netkid, Dec 29, 2006.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Interview with writer Tim Seeley:

http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=159&itemid=9230

2. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Nice read. I must admit that I'm looking forward to this crossover, because it seems all crazy, and I do like to mix and match different toylines into a single story. Who wouldn't like that?

Good to know that they're also going to use more obscure characters ... and any Joe story with a more prominent Hawk than Duke is OK in my book. Not that I dislike Duke, but I do prefer the original Joe field commander more.

-airfox

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Cobra-La. Cobra-sodding-La. This is already off to a terrible start.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Interesting read, can't wait to see how this works out!

5. mrduce1018

mrduce1018 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can someone reminde me about Cobra-La, i seem to remember them from the cartoon in the 80's but i cant remember the lore behind them.
    thanks in advance
    Greg

6. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    The only time Cobra La was ever seen was the poorly received GI Joe movie. Cobra-La was a secret civilization hidden in the Himilayan mountains that pre-dated the rise of man. they has technology built entirely on organic and living material. no synthetics! Golobulus, the ruler of Cobra-La sent out one of his best and brightest to the world of man to lead an uprising and pave the way for a Cobra-La ruled world. This is revealed to be Cobra Commander, who returned to Cobra La a disgrace.

This back story makes a LOT of fans hate the Gi Joe movie because it not only retcons the origin of Cobra Commander, but also introduces a sci-fi fantasy element that totally flies in the face of the previously semi realisitic military story. For some it was bad enough when Serpentor and BATs started showing up in season 3, but to toss in all this stuff was ridiuculous, and it was all wiped away by the time GI joe returned to regular episodes a couple years later in Operation Dragonfire.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I dunno how accurate this is but it's all I could find.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra-La

Also, try www.yojoe.com for more info on Cobra-La,
    the 80's G.I.Joe Movie (in which Cobra-La appeared),
    and also the few Corba-La figures:

http://www.yojoe.com/action/87/golobulus.shtml

http://www.yojoe.com/action/87/nemesisenforcer.shtml

http://www.yojoe.com/action/87/royalguard.shtml

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

While I have no love for the Joe movie, to be fair, I don't think the Joe toon ever had a CC origin story. I always viewed the comic and toon as distinct entities/timelines just like TFs (and like TFs, found the comic to be superior), though that may or may not have been intended. While the movie CC origin story is complete and utter shit compared to the comic story, or even compared to actual shit, I dunno that it counts as a retcon of the origin that was only previously seen in the comic. Even though I loathe Cobra-La/the movie, I'll still check out the comic. The underlying concept/character designs are halfway decent, I just don't buy their only previous appearance/explanation in the Joeverse. At all. They wanna link 'em to Unicron in a TF/Joeverse that's already distinct from either respective properties' multiple timelines..shoot.

9. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

What was Cobra Commander's origin in the comic anyway? Always was curious about that.

10. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Ahh Nemisis Enforcer...

You know in TFTM when Galvatron jumps out of Cyclonus just before he smites Starscream? I'd like to see that in DH: Cyclonus appears in the sky, divebombs Joe/Autobot offensive lines, and transforms in mid-air, and as he does, N.E. leaps out and, like the bat that he is, swoops down in a joint aerial attack.

11. Spartan Prime

So, if the movie was set aside, and existed on its own, do you think it would have been better received, since it was set apart from the military-theme, or do you think the movie was doomed form the beginning, what with the plot being what it was?

12. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Well with the original Black Entertainment Television involved (The BET, shut it whole reason I laughed about the channel is it made me think it was runned by Cobra-La and Serpie so :p  bite my shiny metal ass)

Anyway, I'm liking this and only thing I fear would be seeing some Cobra-La weapons or vehicles transforming into bots. (fleshy bots EWW, well the Beast wars fans would be happy they have their organiac bots now :p  j/k)

Still I've liked all of DDP's crossovers so I gladly await this one. Oh if only somebody could get what Dreamwave Started revamped The cover art drew me in alone on that second one.

On CC's original, the demented Car Salesman I just like a whole lot more then the Cobra-La setup. That and well Serpentor's end was better in the books too. Shot with an arrow > turned into a lizard.

Now again, simple rant Joe vs TF toys c'mon Hasbro you made the easy way with the mini figs in those Starbore Transformers (not liked any of them, and I wanna clean up when I touch them too) Reason saying, After Classics no more TF buying for me unless this is done.

13. airfox

News Credits:
    He was a disgrunted former used cars salesman, that came up with a pyramid scheme and turned it into a terrorist organization to stick it to the man. Or something like that. :D 

Yes... it's way better than the Cobra-La origin.

-airfox

14. Spartan Prime

That, and he teamed up with Snake-Eyes (pre-Joe) to get back at people who had wronged them. Snake-Eyes had a change of heart, and left Cobra Commander alone to fend for himself. Snake-Eyes headed to Japan, and Cobra Commander rented out Zartan to assassinate him, but killed Snake-Eyes teacher instead.

15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He was a Car Salesman?!?

No wonder his schemes always failed... it's like, say, that Megatron was a janitor before he started the Decepticon movement. I dunno, but I expected CC to have a more... grander origin.

16. airfox

News Credits:
    Yep. :p 

Well, there you see the reason why Megatron was always the better villain of the two.

Who turns out to be Storm Shadow's uncle, and Storm Shadow gets blamed for the crime so he infiltrates the Cobra Organization to discover his uncle's real killer.

-airfox