Tim Schafer & Ron Gilbert's Double Fine Aventure

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by QuinJester, Feb 9, 2012.

1. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions - Kickstarter

(Watch the video on the page - it's a hoot!)

Tim Schafer has put up a kickstarter page for a fan-funded point and click adventure game, produced by Double Fine and to be the subject of a "how it's made" video game documentary. In a rather unprecedented show of support, it hit the $400k mark in less than 10 hours, and the number of donations have shown little sign of stopping. At the current rate, it's entirely possible that it will hit one million dollars in donations before a full 24 hours has passed.

Not bad for a dead genre and a sales pitch that amounts to "if you give us money, we'll make something. We won't really say what it is, or if it'll even be good. But it'll certainly be a thing!"

... anyone chip in on this? I did! Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and the other early Lucas Arts adventure games were a huge part of my video game childhood so I'd love to see a new, high profile entry into the genre, especially from probably two of the most influential names in the adventure gaming business.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, and I loved the video. These guys were responsible for some of my greatest gaming memories. Full-freakin' Throttle. They did The Dig, also, right?

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Actually, the Dig was done by Brian Moriarty (who made Loom, another early lucasarts adventure classic) and the writing and story beats were done by Stephen Spielburg and Orson Scott Card.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it might not be them, but definitely Day of the tentacle and full throttle.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The outpouring of support is impressive. However, I do not like, at all, the precedent being set. Large, established, game companies asking for public funding is not something I want to see take off in any way, shape or form.

6. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Considering how small the company is though I'm OK with it. And besides they'll give the game to everyone who donates. This is just paying upfront as far as I'm concerned.
    Anyways, I wounder if anyone is willing to donate the 10k for the lunch with the team.

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Someone already did. Actually, it happened within a few hours of the kickstarter project opening.

8. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Wow. But no way has anyone given the 150k donation, right?