Till All Are One #12

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rlmiddleton, Aug 9, 2017.

1. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Bittsweet, so good, and I'm glad Scott finally got to tell a full story, it was worth the wait. It's a shame that it's over now. I am excited to see what other opportunities she might get with TF titles down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Quoted for truth. Although I was disappointed by this issue individually the run overall was fantastic. Much better than Lost Light and Optimus Prime. I think this issue wouldn't have been as disappointing for me if it was another issue in the run rather than the last issue either, albeit we have an annual coming as well of course. Yes we have the annual coming but I always had annuals positioned mentally as interesting stories adding to the main sets of issues, not conclusions in themselves.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing rushed was the cancellation itself. This issue wasn't meant to be the actual ending of the book.

I blame those Hasbro-verse spinoff's that no one really asked for, for this predicament.

As a result I'm left with Lost Light (which is just okay) and an Optimus Prime book that I haven't had the desire to read in 2 months.

4. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    You blame books that people aren't buying for people not buying TAAO?

5. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I enjoyed it, but had a big DO NOT LIKE moment at the thought that there is something fundamentally "wrong" with constructed-cold Transformers. Maybe I need to read it more carefully, but it felt a bit like biological determinism, and I don't like that. According to Remain In Light, Chromedome, Getaway, Blaster, Red Alert, Hardhead, Prowl, Ravage, Starscream, Kaon, Spinister, Krok and Crankcase are all constructed cold. That's a pretty broad spectrum of characters. I don't see any unifying neurosis between those characters, considering that in the IDW universe, just about every Transformer is a little neurotic and jumpy.

But again, we'd have to both see a unifying thing of insecure, bodily-troubled CC bots for this to work, and it hardly applies to Blaster, Hardhead, Prowl and Ravage.

Are they? Chromedome and Ravage are two of the most purely loyal characters in the franchise. I don't buy it.

(Even though I don't buy it, I want a toy of Gundam Starscream.)

6. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scott commented on this on reddit:

We are Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez, Max Dunbar, John Barber, Christos Gage, and Aubrey Sitterson, creators behind the HASBRO Comic Book Event, FIRST STRIKE. Ask us anything! • r/comicbooks

• Like Like x 2
  7. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Yep.....

But mostly because of the fact that TF writers are caught up with annoying crossovers preventing them from focusing solely on TF lore. Prior to TAAO #9, those previous TAAO issues and like all of OP and LL feel like the Scott, Robert's and Barber were too occupied with Mask, G.I.Joe, ROM, Micronauts all being shoehorned into the TF Universe.

8. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I haven't read much with mask or rom, Optimus prime was relatively unaffected by the crossover since most of those gi joe characters originated in the transformers ongoing. I'm pretty sure the only actual joe that is consistently in Optimus prime is flint

9. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    But Scott, Roberts, and Barber don't write any of those other series. Save for Barber (one of the originators of the shared universe idea, fyi) writing Revolutionaries, but let's face it, that's basically a TF book too.

Also, IDW offered Scott the job on First Strike. She could've turned it down, but decided to take it because she wanted to write Scarlett. It's almost as if the creators (save James Roberts) are interested in doing more than just robots.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

I can't recall a moment that made her come off as bigoted unlike Pyra Magna where it's intentionally written that way. I felt like the idea of a spark having a "true" form and said true form being the persons ideal self was leaning into functionist philosophy though.

11. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Flipside, Functionists say your form decides what you do with it, and Windblade doesn't seem to show that. Indeed, a bit part of her problem seemed to be other bots chosing their form for them.

And note how her reaction to Victorion being formed by accident is, "That's where they are now, even if what happened to them was wrong that doesn't make them abominations."

WB's views here are... complicated and I wonder how she'd reconcile them if asked.

More... than robots? Does not compute!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's just it though, I had Tyrest pegged as clearly cuckoo-for-cocoa puffs but then the reprint of Remain in Light made a correction that established that Tyrest IS reacting to the REAL phenomenon that all of the Autobots who went to trial were constructed cold.

Since statistically that's not happening, that means that in universe there is something fishy going on. But then this plot element hasn't been touched in years. Unless you want to count Getaway's heel-turn.

It can be taken as read that Tyrest's response was not reasonable.

13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I imagine there's a number of factors. One might be discomfort in one's form in some cases, but another could simply be discrimination, a tendency for them to have had to do whatever it takes to get by, etc. going in. I mean, if you're pre-war cold constructed and older, you grew up discriminated against. Maybe less so later on, but still bias. Then if you're a younger CC, you grew up in war, period. Forged war era bots are probably a small minority of those brought online during the war (we only know of two!). So there's a lot to slant things against them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh abso-deed-a-lutely.

I appreciate that the whole shebang was explored in an unexpected place in the IDW meta-story. :) 

15. Reask

Reask Predacon

Good issue but definitely bittersweet all the same. Although now all I can think about is will we get a figure of Starscream's true form? That would be sweet. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I guess Windblade never heard about constructed cold Cybertronians before despite all her time spent on the planet? That's what this issue seemed to imply to me.

16. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Forttress Maximus, being one, but however I think there is something else to his story. (I have a theory that Forttress was really Pious Maximas reformatted. I don't think it was coincidence that Sentinel Prime mistook Fortress Maximus as Pious.) Then there is Fulcrum and we don't know either of views on cold construct.

However with Cold Construct they do to seem to have underlying issues just degrees. Prowl I his emotional awkwardness and inability to see people other than there for his amusement. Chromedome his inability to be alone and deal with pain. The fact is with Chromedome he had three Conjunx Endurance where most people are lucky to have one. Getaway pathological hatred of Decepticons and war in general. Unfortunately I can not say much about Blaster because I have not seen much of him. Now you have Thundercracker and Skywarp whom both are happier on Earth. Skywarp probably had for first time having people care about his well being. In Thundercracker case actually being abandon was the best thing for him. Of all the Transformers I find that Soundwave is least bigoted against Cold Construct. The problem he is still has form of discrimination against this group. Secretly Soundwave brought the Seekers online when Megatron needed troops.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  17. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

A thing I note is how indirectly those are to CC. Prowl grew up in a highly functionist town... perhaps he, being CC, had to embrace order more to survive. Chromedome, he seems to have a strong worry of losing what he has, and he has a streak of functionism that comes out sometimes, and we do know he sometimes implied to be forged when he's not- says to me he was worried about losing what he had due to anti-CC bias. Getaway? I think that has very little to do with being CC and much more do to being born in war- Fortress Maximum was Forged in war and has at least as many issues. Blaster? He seems genuinely happy when we see him most of the time- and perhaps he embraced being a Voice as a reaction and a way to stand out against low-grade biases.

Mairghread on the metaphor of that scene and Windblade's limited viewpoint:
    [​IMG]

18. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    To me it feels like IDW's TF-Verse has been compromised to shoehorn in these other properties. As a result they have Transformers tip toeing around annoying humans that it would be much more entertaining to see them simply step on.

All 3 writers have been impacted by this "Revolution" -verse one way or another. Which is cool if you're into it but I'm not.

How many TF readers would've been more excited about Starscream, Optimus or the LL crew discovering more lost Cybertron colonies (or getting more details on the colonies they have discovered) than having them kissing the ass of ungrateful humans.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But again, most of the humans in Optimus prime were already in transformers, plus at least for that book it is set on earth so humans are kind of necessary

20. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    How are they kissing the asses of the humans? I really don't get the people who are saying this.

And what do humans have to do with TAAO?

• Like Like x 1