Customs: Tightening Loose Joints

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, while I've never seen it, apparently we once had a tutorial/resource on tightening joints. Seeing as this is evidently not the case, I figured I'd start a new thread here to generate some discussion on the issue. If you have anything valuable to share regarding this issue, please feel free to discuss. Any photos that are helpful are even more appreciated! Any valuable contributions will be properly accredited, as always :thumb 

This may sound like a very simple topic to some, but realize that there are many folks out there who are very nervous about modifying their toys. You never know, what you may share may lead someone to eventually take the customs plunge! :) 

Thanks for all you do and share guys; it's greatly appreciated!

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i have never done it but i think i have heard you can add some super glue to ball joints to make them a little tighter. (seems like i remember that from one of peaughs reviews)

3. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    i recently tried dipping my balls (sorry, had to say it), er, ball joints in an apoxy glue i use to tighten them up. unfortunately the joints came out not wanting to fit back into the socket, so yeah, i would really love to see feedback on this thread. today i am about to prime the joints with primer/future finish to see if that works. help!

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I've used both super glue and Future floor polish and they each do pretty well. Super glue is, of course, a lot more permanent as it melts plastic on a molecular level to adhere to it.

Again, I know this is a pretty basic topic, but I figured that it would be a great resource for someone looking to fix a figure as well as hoping it may get someone who would otherwise never consider altering their toys experience with chemicals and such. Also, I figured someone may have other resources they'd want to share :) 

5. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    hmm. I didnt use superglue, but another type of glue which ended up sort of tearing off in a rubbery flake. Ill give the super glue a whirl today and report back.
    When you did the future finish, did you just dip the ball in the FF, or apply it to the ball in a paint/FF mix? thanks again.

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Hey Dave, if those ball joints are still too large (had to dance around that, but I so wanted teh funny too--lol), then you can take some fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand around the ball a little at a time and it should help it snap right back in (hopefully tight, like you'd want).

I've used super glue very lightly applied over the ball joints, then I'd snap them back on and continually move them around in all motions to help it spread. After a while, it will harden up and tighten up the joint. I will say that I've heard Future is safer, since it doesn't damage any plastic or melt anything. I also know that there are some that use clear nail polish to tighten loose joints. I can't really comment on that though, since I've never tried it.

7. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

my classics nemesis primes arm is loose and it is not a ball joint. How could you tighten that?

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    First, I'd try tightening it a bit with a screwdriver. If you've done that and it still isn't tight enough, you could try brush a thin layer of Future onto the shoulder joint (you'd need to take it apart to get to it). Allow that to dry for a day or so and screw it all back together and test it. It should be a bit tighter, but if it's still not tight enough, repeat. Before doing so, check the tutorials here on Future and read up on it.

9. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    thanks B! I went with the FutureFinish today, just using a brush to let it run into the joint(s) and a dry(er) brush to soak up any excess. its been about 5 hours and it seems like its going to end up nice and tight, and be properly load-bearing like i need it to... probably even tighter than the original but not too tight . the FF tutorial said to give it 24 hours, but im moving it a tad every once in a while. seems good so far!

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, Future floor finish needs a good 8 hrs to fully cure. I'll often paint a coat of Future on something, then go to work (for an 8 hr shift). When I come home, anything I've used Future on is good to go.

11. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    anyone got a video or pictoral guide of how to apply stuff like floor finish or nailpolish enamel?

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    That's what this thread was created for: for members to submit all of their advice, with photos and/or videos attached :wink: 

13. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

any advise on fixing loose ball joints?

I don't know if there's already been a thread on this type of subject yet, or if this is the forum to ask this question, but I just got a never-before-opened Universe Classics Dinobot and all his ball joints are already loose after taking him out of the package. So I was wondering if there's any way to tighten them up. Thanks.

14. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

nail polish.detach the limbs and take some nail polish and apply to the ball joint,let dry,and reattach the limbs

15. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    Now, I have a few of figures with loose joints, and most of em are straight forward to fix. However, my Classics Rodimus has a really loos crotch joint, and since it's not easily removed, if it can be at all, I was curious if anyone had tightened that part up before and had any tips

16. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Anyone have any ideas on fixing pin joints? I recently got my hands on the deluxe class animated earth mode prime and the joints his arms are attached to, that fold down around the tires, are so loose they flop around. I'd appreciate any help with fixing this.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I was just working on a BT Ironhide custom tonight and some of the pins are loose. I'll be using some of the above methods to fix it, as well as the ball joints.

18. megabotatronius

megabotatronius Master of Disassembly

Ebay:
    Superglue works!

I have had great success with the superglue method, but my technique is a little different...

Instead of applying the glue onto the ball itself, i apply it to the inside of the socket, then spread it around with a toothpick, let it dry for a good ten minutes (way longer that is really necessary), and reassemble. I did this on my Alternity Megatron's ankles because he would not stay standing, and also on Alternity Primes' hands. Works like a charm!

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also try enamel paints. They are very strong, but be sure to sand the ball with some 150 grit paper a bit first so that the paint can adhere well. Let harden for a few days, and you should be able to pop the joint back together nice n tight.

20. Superquad7

News Credits: