Customs: Tightening Hinge Joints?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, how does one tighten the hinge joints on elbows and knees of certain figures? These are those with pins in them.

These joints rely on friction and wear out over time. Sometimes they are lose right out of the box. How do you tighten them?

2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure how many different figures this will apply to, but here's a strategy I used:

My Sideswipe's elbow just flapped back and forth. I unscrewed the shoulder and took out the lower part of the arm with the two sides of the pin sticking out. I then wrapped a small piece of toilet paper on each side and screwed it all back together. It's not the most aesthetcially pleasing choice but it worked wonders. I've also used toilet paper to tighten hole/peg parts, like TFTM Leader Prime and Megs' shoulder connections, and ROTF Long Haul's waist.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

For me, it's the same as ball joints, except that instead of superglue, i put on a coat of clear varnish. When that dries, it tightens a lot.

Just be careful you don't freeze up the whole joint.

4. Shadow25

News Credits:
    I've read about using that as well, though as I lack the experience and wouldn't want to risk anything on the figure, I find the toilet paper solution effective enough as it can be undone.

5. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    So do you actually pop the pin out? Thanks, by the way.

6. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

Just drop some superglue in the joint (liquid works best, but the gel kind will also work), let it sit for a second or two so it starts to dry, then continually move it until the glue is dry.

7. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Thanks. Do you drop superglue on the pin ends (at the side of the joint) or in between the two connected pieces (the ridge between both of them)?

8. deceptihunter

deceptihunter sssssmmmmokin!

I've found that using Pledge future floor finish works. Dip a brush into the finish and touch it in the joint. The finish will work its way down into the joint and when it dries, it will tighten that joint right up. I used it on some of my minicon's loose joints and it works wonders.

9. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    This.

I've also used it on my super-loose Cybertron Sideways shoulder joint, and now it's tighter than when I got it. No disassembly required. :) 

10. Shadow25

News Credits:
    I didn't completely- it's glued/attached to Sideswipe's lower arm and fits in the holes on the side pieces of the upper arm. Not all pins are that easy to access, maybe telling us what figures you want to tighten would help?

11. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Thanks. Currently I'm worried about my Animated Optimus' shoulder joints (Where it swings out; it connects the arms to the torso). ROTF Sideswipe's elbow joint is also a bother.