Customs: Tightening Ball Joints Q (RiD Midnight Express)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Renidragon, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Alright, so I got a set of the RiD Trains secondhand.

Probably my favorite combiner team EVAR.

However, Midnight Express (the one who forms Rail Racer's legs) and Rail Spike came in...... hmmm... less than optimal condition. Rail Spike is missing a thumb of Rail Racer's hands. However, that's something I can't really fix without a replacement part (and it's honestly not a huge deal anyway).

Midnight Express, however, has some REALLY loose shoulder joints. I don't have clear nail polish, but I do have some super glue. I've heard that can work similarly to clear nail polish when it comes to tightening joints, so I tried it. It doesn't seem to be working too well... but there is a bit of tightening going on, however, not necessarily the way I want it to.

SO, here's some explanation. If you're not familiar with the toy, here's the tfu.info link: http://tfu.info/2001/Autobot/MidnightExpress/midnightexpress.htm

When ME's arms are lowered in bot mode, the ball joint is now actually nice and tight. However, raised at a 90 degree angle (to transform to train mode), it's loose as all hell, and slides off without even touching it... but only from the "top" of the socket, if it's at that angle.

I'd take pictures, but I don't know how to do closeups with my camera - it's a Canon Powershot A540, if anyone wants to PM me any instructions on that. :) 

So how do I make his arm less loose, without locking the whole joint?

OH! Right, what I did. I applied superglue to the socket, popped it on, and moved it around so the glue wouldn't lock the arm in place.

2. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Okay, first I'd suggest the nail polish over the glue simply because it will do less damage to the plastic. As to what to do. It sound like the problem is in the socket rather then on the ball. So paint the inside of the socket with the glue or polish at the area thats loose, let it dry then fit test it, if still loose take it apart and do it again until it has the tightness needed.

With the nail polish this is easier since it goes on a little thicker and you have a brush to paint it on with. I personally keep a bottle handy for little jobs like this. Not to expensive and lasts a good while.

The technique you said you tried can work on some joints, but it spreads the glue over the entire thing, so though its tightening if one area of the socket is looser then the others then once it gets tight enough the other parts are too tight.

3. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Okay, first I'd suggest the nail polish over the glue simply because it will do less damage to the plastic. As to what to do. It sound like the problem is in the socket rather then on the ball. So paint the inside of the socket with the glue or polish at the area thats loose, let it dry then fit test it, if still loose take it apart and do it again until it has the tightness needed.

With the nail polish this is easier since it goes on a little thicker and you have a brush to paint it on with. I personally keep a bottle handy for little jobs like this. Not to expensive and lasts a good while.

The technique you said you tried can work on some joints, but it spreads the glue over the entire thing, so though its tightening if one area of the socket is looser then the others then once it gets tight enough the other parts are too tight.

4. Renidragon

Thanks... I can play with it, I guess. If not, I'm sure I can get one in better shape from eBay if I have to. :) 

5. Renidragon

Thanks... I can play with it, I guess. If not, I'm sure I can get one in better shape from eBay if I have to. :)