Minor/Repaint: Tidal Wave leg mod & BROADSIDE WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, like this hasn't been done before... but I think I've got a couple of new ideas here... :) 

This is a sort of repeat of my Armada Megatron leg articulation trick, using Cybertron Jetfire's legs. It's pretty obvious actually, but I have to admit it hadn't even occurred to me before Optimist Prime suggested Tidal Wave could get the same treatment over in my Megatron thread! Thanks dude! You were right!! :D 

So in answer to the big question... YES, Jetfire's legs can be used for Tidal Wave! In fact, it's actually an EASIER mod than with Armada Megatron! It's almost a straight swap with no cutting involved, but at the last minute I hit a little roadblock.

This is how I did it:

No matter how tempting it is DO NOT use Jetfire's complete crotch assembly. It looks like it will fit like a dream, but at the final stage you'll find that his legs don't squeeze together quite enough to transform to boat mode! Grrrrr. Tidal Wave's crotch actually has a subtle taper that allows the legs to squeeze together tight enough to lock the alt mode... which means you actually have to attach Jetfire's legs to Tidal Wave's crotch.

This is annoying but not impossible. The ridged plugs for Jetfire's legs are just much larger than Tidal Wave's so you have to do a lot of shaving and sanding to eventually get them to fit in so you can screw the crotch plate closed again. This means you have to remove the ratcheting assembly, which can leave his legs without enough tension. That upper body is heavy!

I ended up using hockey tape (how Canadian!) to wrap the leg plugs inside to tighten up the joints there. Your mileage may vary, but hip joints on mine are now pretty strong.

Attaching Jetfire's upper legs to Tidal Wave's lower legs at the knee is really easy. First you remove the black ratchet inserts from Jetfire's lower knees, and they fit almost perfectly on the post for Tidal Wave's old legs. You just need to trim a tiny bit at the base of the post so the upper leg goes on flush, and the lower legs close snugly.

Again, this results in an annoying lack of tension below the knee because the ratcheting is lost with Tidal Wave's purple legs. Again, hockey tape to the rescue! I just wrapped a single layer around the connection post before fitting the leg over it, and now it's real tight. Maybe over time the hockey tape will lose some of it's resistance, but for now it does the job just fine.

Ideally, I might do some cutting behind his kneejoints to allow his knees to do a deeper bend, but it's not really necessary. I find the small range of knee movement this mod adds already dramatically increases his ability to take cool poses. :) 

How about those arm mods?

I couldn't quite figure out what it was that was bothering me about Tidal Wave's arms, and then it hit me... the shoulder attachments are too low, resulting in a slumped posture and arms that look awkward, stiff and disproportionate. This mod helps that, since it raises the shoulder connectors (in both configurations).

The arm mod doesn't really require any cutting. You quite simply remove the green shoulder pylons and switch them. This doesn't really affect the transformation... the large connection ports are now facing outward in boat mode (a bit unsightly) and you'll want to cut off the small pegs that now preventing the pylons/pontoons from lining up flush in boat mode. It's also possible (untested) that the new inside curve of the pontoons will crowd the head too much in boat mode... not an issue for me because I'm replacing the Tidal Wave head with something much smaller.

So... Broadside?

Yeah... in these pictures, you'll notice that I photoshopped out the green just to give me a better idea what he'll look like after I paint him. Not sure if those areas will go grey, white or red.

The head isn't attached yet. You'll notice the old Tidal Wave head is stuck on there just to prop up the Broadside head. I like the way the old head actually looks sort of like a conning tower from the back, so I may try to find a way to keep that part of it in the vehicle mode.

Not sure which configuration I like better for the arms, but once the shoulder pylons are switched, you can arrange them either way.

And tell me... is Classics Jetfire's helmet not a dead ringer for Broadside?! :) 

zmog

Attached Files:

2. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    This is the mod iv been looking for and trying to figure out!
    awsome work! i like the repaint!
    now that i see what youve done, when i get my hands on an extra Tidal Wave he shall become Overlord :ev: 

3. SMOG

To clarify, there hasn't been any repainting yet! I just desaturated the greens in Photoshop to preview the colours.

I sort of took a risk on this one, because this was my last Tidal Wave figure... one was a gift for my nephew, the other one I sold. But I think it turned out well, so I don't feel like I wasted a figure. Tidal Wave is damn cool, but since I'm a Geewunner at heart, Broadside takes priority. :D 

Also, I'm lucky I had so many spare Cybertron Jetfire's kicking around. Now I just need some projects to use the -rest- of that figure for. :) 

zmog

4. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

brilliant, Tidalwave looks so much more ACTION!! Amazing what good articulation will do. Sweet job man.

5. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I really like what you did the shoulder pieces, it looks very gaogaigar-ish; did it require any special modding? And yes, the Jetfire helmet was made for this.

edit: reading the original post and not just looking at the pretty pictures answered my question. d'oh!

6. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Not bad. Good stuff.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The articulation and the colors were my only complaints about this toy. I've longed to see him perfected. Thank you, sir. Now, just make sure you use lotsa bubble wrap when you ship him to me :) 

8. digitalworld40

digitalworld40 Well-Known Member

Man you are awesome! I just went and did this to my Tidalwave right when I saw this thread. Man he looks so much cooler with these mods! Thank you so much for sharing this with us and now if you excuse me I have to go buy another tidalwave so that I can make broadside as well.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I have to do a similar (not QUITE the same) leg mod in the future for this figure as well. Surprised we've not seen more people adding a knee joint to this. Mine's not for Broadside, though ;) 

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Aside from the awesomeness of "Broadsidal Wave" here I truly appreciate the detailed steps you give us for each of your bashes, You sir are an idea man! And your willingness to share your tips and tricks cements you in place as one of my favorite Radicons!:bowdown: 

As for the custom itself, The legs are cool, but the arm mod is pure genius!! Not to mention the perfect Broadside head, yes it is perfect! :thumb And the fact that it's a bit smaller just accentuates the massiveness of what a transforming naval fleet should look like! Man, I gotta get started on my Tidal Wave! :D 

11. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

AWESOME JOB!!! If TFCC is going to give us a Broadside this year (which I doubt we'd be that lucky) I'd hope they pay attention to this, it's something they could do easily. GREAT JOB!!! I am going to have to get my Tidal Wave modified now.

12. SMOG

Dude... you could do this mod in your sleep. Get to it! :) 

Told you it was easy! Just make sure you have enough Jetfires! Good thing that figure was released, like, 3 times.

Ooooh... whatcha using for the legs? I'm all curious now!

I think people have LONG wanted to add knee joints to this figure (and Armada Megs)... but that can be a harrowing and delicate operation if you're adding articulation to the existing legs. I know I was thinking about it, but always a bit too intimidated to start.

I guess it didn't occur to us to simply swap out the entire leg section. It just so happens C. Jetfire is a near perfect fit, both in terms of articulation and scale.

Hey, sharing the ideas is what it's all about, right? Heck, if Optimist Prime hadn't thrown the idea out there, I probably wouldn't even have thought to try this same trick with Tidal Wave. I've only started including the details recently, because usually most of the stuff I do is simple enough that a step-by-step isn't necessary. I'm still never planned out enough to take in-progress pics, so I'll never be a serious tutorial guy.

I'm glad you like the smaller head. I was hoping it would convey more size. The arm mod came to me in a really abrupt flash. I was sitting in front of the TV exploring the flexibility of the new legs, and thinking that there was something still "off" about the arms. Then it hit me, and a screwdriver and 6 minutes later, the arms were modded! I love it when it all works out easy like that.

I will however hasten to point out that anyone planning to try this arm mod, but keeping Tidal Wave's original head may find that transformation IS affected. I suspect the enlarged flanges on the inside of the new shoulders will collide with the bit of his head that sticks out in boat form... some cutting might be required on the shoulders for that.

Thanks for the comments guys! And I'm serious... I really need some ideas on what to do with all these leftover Jetfire parts!

zmog

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

that is absolutely how hasbro/takara should have made the toy in the first place

14. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I love the Classics look you gave Broadside! A welcome update and finally the size he deserves to be! I love the shoulders up instead of to the sides. Gives him more height! I also love how the jetfire head works, though you should remove the TW head. It's just not Broadside and way to static now.

I'm looking forward to the final colors!

iDD

15. ryu hayabusha

ryu hayabusha Well-Known Member

awsome job, hes the perfect mold for broadside.

16. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Holy crap! I've got to try this! Especially since I have a spare Jetfire helmet thanks to my Thunderwing custom!. Now, if only I could get a pair of Cybertron Jetfire legs somewhere...

17. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Question, when I switched the pylons, which put the large connection ports on the outside, how do you connect the aircraft carrier to the pontoon boat for supercarrier mode? Probably a stupid question that I am overlooking?

18. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    The arm mod is an issue I've been pondering as well couldn't the Pontoon parts be switched for the combined mold (Might also mean that the top deck of the potoons would face the rear in Botmode or maybe make the carrier deck larger by installing a removable piece of Styrene which could also be a sheild in botmode could also add a cannon or main forward gun under and inbetween the arms the sheild could also peg onto the minicon peg in botmode. With the carrier split and the added deck it might give the shipmode more mass...

as for the head couldn't you cut in half the Jetfire mask and just mesh it (The front of the mask) to the Tidalwave face?

19. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

I regret every day when I left that Tidal Wave in clearance on the self. I come back often but he was gone forever. Now I will never make a custom like this, so my Minicon planes are homeless.:banghead: :cry 

20. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

thanks for this I am so gonna have to do this to my extra tidal wave