Heavy/Scratch: Tidal Wave Broadside Leg Mod with Ratcheting

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dicron, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

I was grateful to find Smog's leg mod post, but I wasn't pleased with losing the ratcheting assembly, so I set to work to see what I could do. I managed to alter the mod sufficiently to preserve the ratcheting system, but by Primus it was rough. I've decided to put up my documentation of the process for anyone who might want to try it.

DISCLAIMER: It will be very easy to mess up the leg assembly beyond repair by doing this and I'm not 100% on how long it will last.

The first part of the modification is to the waist piece. I filed the hole down to fit the leg post and then I gouged out a groove in the rear piece to help the gear turn better. I've shown Jetfire's original waist piece as reference for trimming out the hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following that, I had to mod the knee joint. I cut down the locking tabs for Tidal Wave's original ratcheting assembly to allow Jetfire's to slide down flush with the plastic. Then I used a 3/8" drill bit to drill out about half of the hole in Jetfire's leg and moved the spring to this side of the ratcheting gears (in Jetfire, it's on the other side nested in the lower leg). Then I cut grooves into the ratcheting gear, allowing it to slide a little further into the hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that this part of the ratcheting assembly was ready, I had to anchor the remaining gear to the back of the leg and allow enough room for it to close completely when screwed together. In order to do this I cut and filed the back leg piece to fit the gear from Jetfire's leg. I also cut out a section to allow a greater range of articulation for the knee. When finished, the gear should fit snugly into the leg up to the little plastic seam on the gear (it's hard to see in the pic, but if you look at the gear it's pretty clear).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afterward, it's just a matter of screwing the leg together and you should come out with a working ratcheting assembly capable of supporting Tidal Wave's oddly proportioned bulk. The ratcheting assembly in the knee is pretty tight on mine, hopefully the plastic will hold up and it will stay that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, I have to emphasize that it would be incredibly slagging easy to totally destroy any part you're working on while doing this. The only reason I had the guts to do it was because I have spares of it all. Also, owning a dremel would have made this whole mess a ton easier, another thing on my list of crap-to-get.

Hope this was helpful to someone, good luck, and be careful.

Attached Files:

2. The_Tracker

The_Tracker ...and his huntsmen!

Ebay:
    I'd like to see your Broadside as a whole!

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow! you really took this to the extreme! :thumb 

When I did my Jetfire-to-Tidal Wave leg conversion, I was kind of saddened to lose the ratchet action, but I was able to retain enough resistance on those joints to allow him to stand and take poses. I wasn't sure how long it would last though. I commend your unrelenting industry, sir. :) 

zmog

4. 'purple-bot'

'purple-bot' Well-Known Member

NICE, you did an excellent swaping job, very precise, keep it up, cant wait for full body shot

5. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

For those askin, here's a link to my Broadside post with an updated pic. More to come when I finish the paint.