Customs: thunderwing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by doomtron, Dec 24, 2010.

1. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i am torn with the new generations thunderwing i want to make a custom from this guy but im not sure if he would make a cooler energon megs or a super starscream. any thoughts ? after i get a second one :) 

2. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

I wonder myself if he would make for an interesting energon Megs. But Mine are Going to be Starscream, Skywarp, and thundercracker

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, considering TFMaster converted Energon Megatron into Thunderwing, it could certainly be interesting to see it work the other way around. That said, you'd probably be better off waiting for the Black Shadow retool for that, since the head is most of the way there already...
    I'm intrigued by the Super Starscream idea, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    oh i remember that thunderwing bill did that was so sweet one my favorites from him. with starscream i was thinking a head swap and some chest mods in color.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That could be good. I actually have another idea for Thundy, but I'll keep it under my hat for now till I can actually get one... :ev: 

6. megatronatlas

Anyone else had any problems with removing thunderwings head? As with WFC Megs head it seems my thunderwings all have had their heads glued along with the screw being there. I am hoping the screw is just too tight and the head isnt glued.

7. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    it looks like taking the screw out of the back would do it. im glad its ball jointed usually i have to add that feature

8. megatronatlas

My thunderwings are all glued together at the head. so much for putting classics jetfires head there.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I want a custom made using that drone made into a robot. Like G1 Thunderwing :) 

10. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Was thinking that myself, if you take a PCC minicon and graft it onto the drone you might get away with it. Haven't picked up any of these yet, so not sure which one to pick. Really want to get my hands on this guy.

Also I'd hope someone someday makes a renderform conversion kit for Cybertron Megs to Thunderwing, but I can only live in hope.

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm not actually that bothered about Thunderwing himself (at least this piddling iteration of him :p ), but since I plan to pick one up for kitbashing when I'm able to, I may just get onto that drone thing eventually... ;) 

That someone would probably Venksta, since he's the only guy working for Renderform... :p 

12. dsn1014

Indeed it would be him, though I believe a few others are doing 3D print stuff too, but its an old mold, I wouldn't know what the interest would be.

If someone did it for the large version of him, it'd make my year.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Or somebody *cough* might be working on rendering one for mass cold cast production. ;) 

14. dsn1014

I love you!

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

There are others doing 3D print stuff, myself included. But you did specifically say "a Renderform conversion kit"... :p 

What, a Minicon 'drone' for the TW fig? Looking forward to seeing that... :) 

16. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Yeah. I'm even engineering it to fit inside his torso. It will look more like the original TW inner robot than the drone currently on it, but at least it will transform. Hard part's gonna be matching that white.

17. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    think ill go with screamer here later. got to detail this badboy first. wish my metally disturbed wife hadent thrown away my stormbringer comics :(  dont care much about the drone but i would like to do a non pretender thunderwing but as with the other one i need reference pics

18. dsn1014

D'oh, I did say that specifically, thanks for pointing out my mistake, but I plead innocence over ignorance. Shapeways is the site I was thinking of, or else I'm wrong again. Used to use Solidworks in uni years ago and 3D modeling is not easy, I don't know what the software is like now, but hats off to ya.

Hows the TW torso for space? Would having the drone stay in the nosecone cause him balance issues with the added weight or does he stand well regardless? Haven't got the toy, so I'm not sure how well he stands. I'm really looking forward to seeing this come to life.

19. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh, easily done. :p 
    Yeah, Shapeways is the 3D printing firm.
    There's a lot of different 3D modelling software available nowadays, several programs available for free. SketchUp's a popular one, and quite simple to get your head around. Blender is much more powerful and well-respected, but I've never been able to get to grips with the user interface. I'm trying to learn how to use trueSpace, as it seems to be able to handle both mechanical and organic modelling really well. Till then, I use a ten-year-old copy of AutoCAD, which is certainly doing me quite nicely for the mechanical-style modelling I need for TF stuff, and it's what I trained on and used professionally for 5 years.

20. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    He's gotta pretty good amount of space in there. It's where his thighs go when in alt mode. So just like the original toy, the inner robot would have to be removed when you transform him. I'm sure it could stay on the nosecone. Won't know for sure until I print one out. I just thought it would be neat if he could fit in the chest because that would hearken back to the G1 pretender concept.